Arthritis

LouiseL88

Visit site
My 19 year old horse is suffering with arthritis in his hocks at the moment. It started last year and the vet saw him in November when injections were due and said that when his bones fuse he may come sound again. I am just walking him at the moment although I can tell he is just dying to tank off (I just daren't let him!) so I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar kind of experience and how long can I expect him to be a walker before we start getting an improvement. he is on NoBute and Echinacea daily and he doesn't have heat in the area on a daily basis - Is it a case of how long is a piece of string or will a year or so make a reasonable difference to the condition. I know that now the warmer weather is coming it will be easier for him as the windy rainy days are worse!! Words of wisdom and experience would be grately appreciated!!

emerald2006

Visit site
my mare has bone spavins which then threw her back out. due to the situation i was in at the time, i couldnt afford the injections. we gave it a good 3 months to come right however her back just kept going out every 6 weeks. i was working her at novice dressage and her hocks just could withstand it. she lives with my mum now and is right as rain! my mum jumps her (only 18 inches if that!) and hacks her out all the time. we have got a couple of others at the yard as well with spavins. each is different. just give it time. i would suggest turning out 24/7 if possible as the movement herlps the bones fuse. hope this helps!

LouiseL88

Visit site
Thanks - He is turned out 24/7 and sometimes to see him galloping across the field with his mate is really annoying - I am walking him out and sometimes he feels 'normal' and sometimes he feels stiff and awkward - I will just have to be patient and hopefully eventually he can do more - he loves to jump and when he gets going he has no brakes - however hopefully the summer will see a bit more fun for us both!!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Is he supposed to not be galloping? I only ask because when I had my oldie, the vet wanted her out as much as possible and moving as much as possible too. Hers fused at quite an early age (seriously dodgy conformation) but even so she went lame a long time afterwards. The only extra things I could suggest are make sure he's warm, I had to rug mine except in the middle of summer, it did seem to make her more comfortable. Is it worth having him on bute for a few months?

LouiseL88

Visit site
Well - what he is supposed to do and what he does are 2 totally different things!!The vet told me to walk him only but there are times when we go out and he just wants to jog which is great but I am ever mindful of the fact that I could be making it worse. He is out 24/7 and I think he has got wise to the fact that if he looks like hes a bit stiff then he won't go out so he may be putting it on - I suppose when we go out and he seems okay I could try trotting and basically see how we go - I would assume if the bone is growing then the more movement the better as it is grinding itself down surely?? May just need to bite the bullet and give it a go or ring the vet and have a chat! Its just nice to have someone elses opinion and the benefit of their experience!!!

LouiseL88

Visit site
Hi - I hacked him out today for about an hour, mainly road work but he seemed very normal in walk and felt good in jog, he just seemed a bit dippy when trotting on the road! Watch this space as today was the beginning of getting him back into work on a regular basis!

Tnavas

Visit site
Feed Glucosamine and Chondroitin product, also fresh ground Linseed - I grindmine daily in a coffee grinder - no need to cook. Linseed contains Omega oils that look after joints.