Arthritis

Clodagh

Visit site
Are there any meds that can actually slow the progression of arthritis? Or is it just a case of pain management?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Nothing will slow it. It’s progressive. Green lipped mussel was the one that works for Bear, he’s on a supplement including that, manganese, chondroitin, msm, Hyaluronic acid, all the stuff that the vet would suggest. (Canimed from Amazon)

Clodagh

Visit site
I just wanted to be sure, I went to the vets yesterday with T and he said she’s got it in her elbows, I had just noticed she was a tiny bit short in front. Mainly after doing too much. It’s negligible but there.
She’s on synoquin, which I started a few months ago and now has NSAIDs, but he said only when she needs them.
She’s slim and fit but has been very hard on herself over the years, she’s a racehorse in the body of a cob

meleeka

Visit site
I just wanted to be sure, I went to the vets yesterday with T and he said she’s got it in her elbows, I had just noticed she was a tiny bit short in front. Mainly after doing too much. It’s negligible but there.
She’s on synoquin, which I started a few months ago and now has NSAIDs, but he said only when she needs them.
She’s slim and fit but has been very hard on herself over the years, she’s a racehorse in the body of a cob

I had a Spaniel that went on for years only having NSAIDS when she needed. It wasn’t even arthritis that got her, so it worked very well. It just meant I didn’t have to worry if she was overdoing things.

My JRT will probably end up on the same. She’s another that forgets how old she is when she’s having fun, and doesn’t seem to want to be an oldie yet.

Last edited:

planete

Visit site

Our terrier has been on Synoquin and salmon oil since he had a cruciate operation seven years ago. The operating vet warned us he would get arthritis in that leg and that he also had less than ideal conformation elbow wise but he is 15 this year and still very active.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think keeping them slim is the most helpful. Your lot swim, don’t they? If I know Bear is uncomfortable, I’ll take him to the river, I just make sure he gets a proper rub down back in the car to warm him up.
I think swimming is actually a negative for T. She obsesses over it and doesn’t swim with any pleasure, it’s a proper race (against herself). And she lifts her front legs up and bangs them down to make splashes to catch ?

fiwen30

Visit site
Arthritis is only a managable condition, there’s no turning back the clock on it, unfortunately.

Management is 2-fold - 1 is appropriate vet care & medication (supplements aren’t pain killers, they need both!), and 2 is appropriate lifestyle and environmental management (cover slippy floors, keep weight down, tailored excercise).

This site is a wonderful guide to arthritis management in dogs, and I’ve also used it for reference for cats - https://caninearthritis.co.uk/

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think swimming is actually a negative for T. She obsesses over it and doesn’t swim with any pleasure, it’s a proper race (against herself). And she lifts her front legs up and bangs them down to make splashes to catch ?

Oh lord! ??‍♀️ Bear just swims and treads water whilst waiting for the ball. I make him swim against the current, it’s not strone, but it makes him work a bit more. I’ve had to find a new bit of bank, I don’t want him struggling to get out.

pistolpete

Visit site
I remember asking my vet for the steroid injections people and horses gave for my old spaniels arthritis of his elbow. Not a thing apparently. Such a shame watching them deteriorate. Gentle movement and be guided by them.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think librella is a bit far for occasional 1/10ths lameness, although I expect we will go there in the future. The side effects are a bit extreme for me to use it as a first resort.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I won’t touch Librela again. It made my dog incontinent and she now pees in her sleep. She had never suffered any problems controlling her water before this.
It also caused very stressy and odd behaviour.

Clodagh

Visit site
I won’t touch Librela again. It made my dog incontinent and she now pees in her sleep. She had never suffered any problems controlling her water before this.
It also caused very stressy and odd behaviour.
It’s your experience that worries me! I’m not saying I’d never use it but not when she’s still charging around like a loon and being a pita.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Ellie is struggling on her left hind when she first gets up for lying down. At almost 13, arthritis to be expected. she does walk it off quite easily. I’m taking her to vet, but just watching her, I don’t think she’s librella ready yet, if we choose the go down that path eventually. T is younger, so I would think she’s far off needing it going by what you say.