Article about horse loss grief

Ratface

Visit site
Well. I read that article in the spirit of self-education. Ended up in floods of tears. Horse is 28, is an Arabian in excellent health and condition, retired (although we do entertaining - especially for him) walks out in hand and he is in 5* luxurious full livery, with hot and cold running staff, 10 hours a day.
He's my last horse, in 75+ years of horse/pony/donkey riding/ownership. After he goes, I won't have the money to buy another and don't think sharing will necessarily work for me.

eahotson

Visit site
Well. I read that article in the spirit of self-education. Ended up in floods of tears. Horse is 28, is an Arabian in excellent health and condition, retired (although we do entertaining - especially for him) walks out in hand and he is in 5* luxurious full livery, with hot and cold running staff, 10 hours a day.
He's my last horse, in 75+ years of horse/pony/donkey riding/ownership. After he goes, I won't have the money to buy another and don't think sharing will necessarily work for me.
I hope you still have a few happy years left with him.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Sorry if the article upset you. I'm in the same boat as mine is 24 with various medical conditions and will be my last horse. It doesn't bear thinking about sometimes.
That was the only thing that grated with his article - that it didn't acknowledge those of us who won't be getting another one

Ratface

Visit site
I hope you still have a few happy years left with him.
Thank you for your kind reply. I have ME and not dealing with the most mild of rough edges at the moment.
Katastrophising Is Us!
Never mind. I'll run through my mother's relevant sayings . . ."Oh, well, not dead yet . . ." through "Worse things happen at sea . . . to "Oh, well, let's have one of Hubert's sickers". This delightful treat was one of our village baker's hand made (with fresh whipped cream) chocolate éclairs, made only on Friday mornings and which mother carried home, like a rat with an egg, to eat with after sandwiches made from ham (locally raised, killed and cured pig) and Hubert's crisp, just baked cottage loaf.
I didn't join her in the sandwiches, as I was a vegetarian by then, but the éclairs were delicious!

eahotson

Visit site
Thank you for your kind reply. I have ME and not dealing with the most mild of rough edges at the moment.
Katastrophising Is Us!
Never mind. I'll run through my mother's relevant sayings . . ."Oh, well, not dead yet . . ." through "Worse things happen at sea . . . to "Oh, well, let's have one of Hubert's sickers". This delightful treat was one of our village baker's hand made (with fresh whipped cream) chocolate éclairs, made only on Friday mornings and which mother carried home, like a rat with an egg, to eat with after sandwiches made from ham (locally raised, killed and cured pig) and Hubert's crisp, just baked cottage loaf.
I didn't join her in the sandwiches, as I was a vegetarian by then, but the éclairs were delicious!
Those eclairs sound amazing!

Carlosmum

Visit site
Very poignant for me this weekend. I spoke to my vet this morning and asked her to come out next week. Pony is only 15 and outwardly appears fine. BUT he has PPID, EMS and suffered a prolonged bout of laminitis this year. Just as he came sound and I started riding again he bucked me off. This was not the first time. Over the years despite many checks he has bucked, napped, exploded, wont go up a pace when asked. There has obviously been something wrong which we have never found. So I decided not to ride him anymore, had arranged for him to go to family, where he could live out his days. However, despite the total lack of grass after overnight torn out he has once again become lame. If he cant be turned out that is no kind of life for a pony. Yes we could probably keep him sound if he never saw a blade of grass again but what kind of life would that be? So the vet comes next week, OH is going to dig a big hole and he will join Carlo who I lost suddenly 6 years ago to colic. I know I will feel sad when it happens, but all I feel at the moment is relief.