Ascott BE90 or Broadway UA90?

Michen

Visit site
Help me decide! Factors:
I really struggle with 90 SJ mentally and did one 90 run last year and messed the SJ up massively. I've entered Aston UA90 for this weekend as being on a surface I'm hoping will help me get my brain in gear. But I need to enter *somewher* if I want to event the weekend after whilst ground is good and so going to take a punt that the 90 will go fine.

Ascott
- More than double the price with the membership stuff on top (which will work out if I do 3 more BE's this year, which is unlikely). Not too bothered about the money though more interested in a nice run
- I prefer the XC there to Broadway
- Had a great run there this time last year in the 80
- BE SJ, potentially bigger than UA?
- SJ ring is nicer than the Broadway one IME

Broadway
- UA, so much cheaper
- More likely to be able to drop down to 80 if needed, as could also run on a different day (80 running twice)
- I like the XC, one of my favs, just not as much as AUW
- The SJ is on a hill (so is AUW though, but perhaps now as much)
- SJ may be "simpler" as not BE?

Ascott are running an 80 but only one day so don't think it would be as easy to drop down if I needed to. Or do I just enter neither, hope one has space, and enter after Aston on Sun....

My stomach is already churning thinking about it all

Boggle pic from our 90 at Calmsden last year to brighten!

230923416_10165094525295618_4896475391608446400_n.jpg

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
If money isn't a primary concern then I would personally choose Ascott. It's a lovely xc course and the sj is on much less of a hill.

However it also depends if you want it on an official BE record too...

ihatework

Visit site
Ascott BE never seem to build the SJ to height if that helps. Last year at the BE they put the Sj arena nearer the road and it was on a slope. God knows why they did that, much prefer the ring at the back of the parking by the dressage.
I'd always pick Ascott over Broadway.
For you there should be some diesel savings for Ascott over Briadway if that helps?

Michen

Visit site
Ascott BE never seem to build the SJ to height if that helps. Last year at the BE they put the Sj arena nearer the road and it was on a slope. God knows why they did that, much prefer the ring at the back of the parking by the dressage.
I'd always pick Ascott over Broadway.
For you there should be some diesel savings for Ascott over Briadway if that helps?

Yes I remember! The SJ caused absolute carnage, Bog jumped one of the few clears but with a load of time faults as I went so slowly, the grass was short and slippery. Not building to height does help me mentally though, thanks :D

I think the XC at Ascott flows nicer and the XC ground tenders to be nicer.

Just worked out the price diff- £184 to enter Ascott vs £89 to enter Broadway. But I'd probably do another BE or two with the membership I guess. More concerned with the nicest run than money though.

Michen

Visit site
If money isn't a primary concern then I would personally choose Ascott. It's a lovely xc course and the sj is on much less of a hill.

However it also depends if you want it on an official BE record too...

I already have a shocking one, I have no shame there :D

Thanks, think I'm leaning towards swallowing the extra £100 for Ascott. Actually £80 with the difference in diesel as IHW pointed out.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I am not a fan of Broadway (yet going in 2 weeks :rolleyes:) much prefer AUW. XC is much more up to height as well and flowing. I had not joined BE at the time so hence going unaff Broadway but joined to go to Bicton.

Squeak

Visit site
Yes I remember! The SJ caused absolute carnage, Bog jumped one of the few clears but with a load of time faults as I went so slowly, the grass was short and slippery. Not building to height does help me mentally though, thanks :D

I think the XC at Ascott flows nicer and the XC ground tenders to be nicer.

Just worked out the price diff- £184 to enter Ascott vs £89 to enter Broadway. But I'd probably do another BE or two with the membership I guess. More concerned with the nicest run than money though.

That's a ridiculous cost difference between BE & Unaff!

Nicnac

Visit site
Is that PAYG? I find unaffiliated SJ often beefier than BE on the whole unless run at a BE venue by the same people who build the BE courses. Whichever you do - have fun!

Michen

Visit site
how many BE events would you have to do to make it “worth” the initial membership?

Probably not many, I'd usually always just go unaff cos it's cheaper all around and can enter closer to time etc. Might do 1 or 2 more if I had the membership but realistically just need to accept it's almost doubling the cost for one event if I want to go there :D

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I was at Broadway last year and the dressage was on a real hill, and the showjumping was on a hill and very tight and twisty!
Lovely event though!

millitiger

Visit site
I'll go against the grain here... if stepping up or any niggle about height, I would always plump for Broadway.
The SJ can be on a slope but is usually flowing and quite straight forwards.
The XC is running uphill from the start so you always get nice, positive shots and ride forwards and quickly get into a good rhythm.

Hence I'm there in 10 days for my first run in 2 years!