Ashford market horse sale - so angry

engab

Visit site
This is awful. My friend had a bad experience yesterday with the auction also. She had her horse on loan for the past two years, it sustained an injury and loss of use was claimed. The owner was going to have the horse PTS but tried to find a nice hacking/broodmare home. She thought she had found the perfect home and then my friend who loaned the horse for 2 yrs found out the horse had been entered by the lady claiming she was going to use the horse as a broodmare. All the details of the horse were misleading and incorrect. We phoned the auction to tell them and even gave them the vets number to call for themselves. They even phoned the vet. They assured me that they would change the details in the catalogue. However they did not do anything and subsequently the horse was sold in the auction as a horse suitable for jumping and complete wrong info about the injury. Even had the wrong leg down! They should be ashamed of themselves. We are still trying to trace the mare, if any one knows who bought her please get in touch. We have lots if info as well as full medical history.

Cuffey

Visit site
I am surprised that the Auctioneers do not have the following notice up
This is clearly displayed by my local auction both in the conditions of sale and as a visible notice.

''ALL PURCHASERS MUST NOTIFY THE AUCTIONEERS IF THEY ARE NOT SATISFIELD
WITH ANY PASSPORT DOCUMENTATION BEFORE REMOVING THE RESPECTIVE
HORSE FROM THE MART''

kkjames

Visit site
It is disgraceful!! I will NEVER go back again, which is a shame as I have got lots of rugs and bits and pieces from them in the past.
What is the point of having passports?? Cuffey - I wish they had put this notice up as I would have then checked it before leaving and not just assumed that they would have checked it on the way in. Will suggest it to them when I go back with pony on Monday.

BonneMaman

Visit site
Can I play devils advocate here and say that the pony may not be stolen. If the pony is really nice, couldn't you ask the auction for a month's grace to try to find out if it is via NED or similar.

I feel for the pony here. Sorry, I know you have done absolutely nothing wrong.

engab

Visit site
The do have to be microchipped if applying for a new passport, but if the passport was doing a while ago then it would not be microchipped. Could you maybe ask the auctioneers for
The contact number of the old owner who might thrown some
Light on it? Maybe they had other ponies? How different is the details in passport from
Pony?

Maiko

Visit site
Why would ANYONE go to that place, unless working for Equine Market Watch?

Because occasionally, you get a real gem going through that's worth taking a punt on. I've had three gems from Ashford sales over the years, and don't regret buying any of them.

kkjames

Visit site
I have spoken to the vendor who told me that he bought the pony from some "traveller lads and that was the passport that he came with", that was the only explaination he was willing to give and wouldn't tell me anything else at all.

missieh

Visit site
In that case I would imagine someone, somewhere is missing their stolen pony. Could you not try to do some digging and try to find the old owner? As others have said i feel for the poor pony...it will doubtless end up going back through the sale with the same passport.

mwill

Visit site
Can you not keep the pony and do some research? If you return the pony they will only get rid of it somehow, somewhere and the outcome may not be nice if they are on to you. Maybe post the details of the pony on horsewatch etc, phone the passport agencies and see if you can get to the bottom of it? How different is the passport from the horse? Is it just different markings? Have you tried getting in contact with the owner in the passport to find out what happened to the 'real' identity?