Asked to use my dog to breed with

zandp

Visit site
Went to Wales for a dog walk on Saturday around a forest. On the way in met a lovely lurcher (lab/greyhound) and her owner. He was really excited to see my 2 dogs - both lurchers - 1 is greyhound/lab and is entire. He asked if I'd consider letting the 2 dogs mate - he's always wanted a litter from her, apparently the puppies already have homes lined up with friends and family and his bitch is now 5 so he doesn't want to leave it much longer. He wants to mate her with a greyhound/lab as like me he thinks they're amazing. They are a lovely mix but I know I'm biased, had mine (Cooper) since a puppy and he's my heart dog.

I took his number and said I'd think about it. The issue is that I know I'd want 1 of the puppies and I'm also concerned about bringing unwanted puppies into the world / don't know the man at all (although gut instinct was he wasn't lying about puppy homes /not being a puppy farm / not selling the puppies on).

My other lurcher is a born deaf whippet x ?, the greyhound/lab lurcher we've had since a puppy and he is an amazing dog. Spent some time with this man and his dog and she's very like my Cooper in nature / friendliness / general attitude.

Can I deal with 3 ? How would the deaf one react to a puppy. How would Cooper react to a puppy - he's 8 now ? Is there anything else I should be worrying about ? Can I honestly agree to letting a litter be born when there are so many rescue dogs about ? Neither of the dogs are pedigree obviously, is it immoral to be considering this ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have refused people I've known for years a stud, so a complete randomer would (and has been) be a no, for me, I'd also be worried about hip and elbow health on the Lab side of the house, I'm guessing there's been no health tests carried out on either breeding animal?
Am I understanding that they are five and eight and both maidens? As that probably won't make for a successful mating/pregnancy. If there is one maiden in the mating I like the other to have a bit of experience/make sure they are proven.
I have a daughter from one of mine and her father (who is an older dog) thinks she is annoying and does not want to be around her, although he's a bit like that generally, it doesn't follow that the dog will 'know the puppy is his' and be overly friendly towards it. Since having matings he has turned into the canine Ronnie Wood and tries to mount my Mum's neutered male.
If you want a pup from him, I can see why it is a big draw, but I tend to tell people who approach me the stud fee/that I want the price of a puppy, you can see their attitude change immediately...

Jenko109

Visit site
I don't have much of an opinion on the breeding, however I wouldn't worry yourself about how the deaf one would manage with a puppy. Will be fine.

zandp

Visit site
I was worrying about both of them being maidens although I think Cooper did mate a year or so ago with a random bitch in the park in the town I live in - she was off lead in the park, running around playing with the other dogs - according to her owner; causing trouble - according to most of the other dog owners - he disappeared and I found them together later. I hadn't known she was in season until her owner was frantically looking for her and I went over to him to see if I could help. Cooper had run off to some trees with some other dog friends he has and I wasn't worried about him.

The bitch's owner is now no longer speaking to me and is also no longer walking in that particular park. A mutual friend has told me he took his bitch to the vets for an injection some weeks later as he thought she was pregnant.

We did tell the bitch's owner on Saturday that as far as we knew he hadn't mated before.

But yes, health issues are some of my concerns. Bringing more puppies into the world is another concern.

I think the main worry is that I hadn't thought we'd have puppies from him, should I entertain it now ?

And if some other things in my life don't go well, can I manage 3 dogs, 2 horses by myself ?

The main draw is that he's such a lovely dog in all ways and it would be nice (selfishly) to have one of his puppies. I know they won't be him.

Cogitate some more I think, and enjoy the dogs I do have.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Random bloke approached you? Did he mention testing his bitch for any sexually transmitted diseases? Where this would happen? If he has a mentor or has ever done this before?

Do you know that mating can change the dog’s temperame? Given theres lab on both sides, would you be hip/elbow scoring, plus eyes etc? I would forget it, personally.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Regardless if they're Purebred or Crossbreeds, if the breeds involved can have hereditary problems like Hip Dysplasia, Luxating Patella, or the eye problem Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA, there's a few different versions which can be gene tested for, e.g. prcd-PRA), then I wouldn't consider breeding, nor wanting to buy a puppy from a litter, where the parent animals haven't been checked for these problems.

Not sure what hereditary problems Greyhounds can have, but have heard they can have a tendency for tooth problems, so if either of them have that, I would put that up on the negative side.

I really don't think it is unreasonable to expect that if this man really has been having serious plans about wanting to breed his bitch, to at least have a HD result on her. But on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the answer is no.
Anyhow, in your shoes, if you seriously consider accepting the offer, I would start with at least checking your dog for HD, and possibly also his elbows.
If the results are good on whatever health test you might decide to do, then you know that he at least is good enough on that front.

ETA If it goes as far as mating, remember, don't let anything happen until a contract is signed.

druid

Visit site
I wouldn't (and I have two stud dogs!). It can change the dog's temperament, one of mine would be a sex pest given half a chance and hump anything moving including visitors legs! Labradors can often stretch to 12-13 puppies...does he have that many homes lined up? People are often all talk about taking one until an 8 week old puppy becomes reality.

planete

Visit site
Apart from the dog breeding angle, the fact the man is a stranger who approached you in the street and about whom you know nothing is, to me, cause for concern. When people want something they can be very charming and polite but sometimes not so much when small disagreements arise. You would be entering into a transaction where a lot of things could give rise to differences of opinion and you have no idea how he would react. Potential minefield with a completely unknown person. I would only consider this if the owner was well-known to me and had a very good reputation for personal and welfare standards.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We have been asked a few times over the years if we would offer our lab as a stud dog. OH was quite keen to keep a puppy from the same lines again as we have had 3 now.
(although obviously one wasn’t an ambassador for the breed!)
I have always said no. I’d feel responsible for them even though we wouldn’t be really as the bitches were nothing to do with us. I think it would always be in the back of my mind as to where the pups were and if the had good lives.
On top of that I know a few people who decided to just have a go and had terrible problems, one in particular just really put me off for life.