Asking price and actual selling price.

merlin12

Visit site
If a horse is advertised at £ 1600 how much would you expect to pay ,and what would you start at if negociating on a final price. Horse advertised a £ 1600 ono but been on market for 3 weeks.

maggiehorse

Visit site
i never make an offer of more than 10% of the asking price a horse at 1600 i would look to pay 1500 if i really liked it
if i,m selling a really nice horse at a good price i put no offers on the advert so everyone knows the exact price i,m asking for the horse

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I suppose it depends on whether a horse is overpriced or not. I did pay less than selling price for mine, because I genuinely believed it was overpriced. The seller believed it was well schooled, I think it has a long way to go. I don't know how long it had been on the market.

On the kids' pony I paid the advertised price because I thought she was genuinely worth that.

LisW

Visit site
If I like a horse I will pay the asking price - but I'm probably unusual in that.
I wouldn't consider 3 weeks to be a long time advertised. It depends really if the seller is desperate to sell.

Alphamare

Visit site
I feel a lot of horses are overpriced ATM. In this Market if a seller really wants to sell then they should be open to offers. I have seen horses advertised at 3-4k green, done nothing etc which is way over priced.

Headpiece

Visit site
As a buyer I would always give it a go and make an offer of what i think the horse is worth to me, but if i liked it (guessing i would if i wanted to buy) i would be prepared to go up to the asking price.

As a seller it really makes me cross when people ask me whats my lowest price when they havent come out and looked at the horse, and then start demanding tack etc. Important to be tactful i think:)

X

xspiralx

It depends whether the horse is a fair price as it is.

A fair starting point would probably be £1200-1300, expecting to meet in the middle at something like £1400.

That's if you've got the nerve and don't think there will be much interest in the horse. If its a good deal, I'd probably make an offer like £1450 straight off, or just pay the asking price.

hudsonw

Visit site
As a seller i'm open to offers but as a buyer i'm quite cheeky and if a horse was advertised at £1600 i would go in at an offer of £1200 and work your way up!

The seller will of course be trying to get as much money as they can but it depends on how much you like the horse and how desperate they are to sell.

The last horse i sold, the home was more important and although i had an offer from a buyer for the full asking price i sold him to a lady that gave me nearly £400 less than the asking price as she was offering him a fantastic home and i still keep in touch with her, 2 years on!!

snopuma

Visit site
My little TB was up for £2,200 I offered £2000 as she was due for her jabs and needed shoeing asap, it was accepted, but I think if I hadn't stated why I was making an offer then they would have pushed me higher, so it really pays to pay attention to the horse you are looking at and 'kick the tyres' at little

Having said that, when I bought the Moose 10 years ago, I paid £2500 (the asking price) they wouldn't budge, fair enough really he was worth £5000, and 3 years later £12000 but I would never sell him, I never sell any of them they are my family!

millitiger

Visit site
Does the advert state ONO?

Some people don't want to take offers at all so you really need to gauge whether the asking price is fair, how much they want/need to sell and whether they are open to offers in the first place.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I generally haggle, I made a cheeky offer of £800 on a mare that was up for £1600 but she needed a lot of work both on the ground and under saddle so it was accepted.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think generally you can roughly tell the amount the seller wants from the price - I would think £1500 for a £1600 ad. A £5500 probably wants £5000... That doesn't mean that you can't knock them down a bit if you are nice about it. For a £1600 horse that has been up a few weeks I thik you ought to be able to pay £1400.

measles

Visit site
Does the advert state ONO?

Some people don't want to take offers at all so you really need to gauge whether the asking price is fair, how much they want/need to sell and whether they are open to offers in the first place.

I agree entirely with this and would encourage prospective purchasers to ascertain before initial viewing if there might be any movement on price. That way both vendor and purchaser are beginning the assessment and trial of the horse on a fair and equal understanding.

Last weekend I had a family try for a third time a lovely 5yo horse I have for sale. Between viewings two and three I was asked if there was any movement in price and I said no. After viewing three I received a phone call offering me considerably under the price that I had always said the horse was, justified largely by the prospective purchaser's view of the current market, and additionally the horses's colour (she's a completely uncomplicated chestnut mare) was mentioned.

I was very taken aback and explained that at no time did I say the price was negotiable and the issue was only raised after two viewings had taken place, at which time I said there was no movement. The argument that "everyone says a higher price initially then is bargained down" was used and this is, quite simply, not the case. I told the family that I didn't want to go any further with their purchase as her price is her price and I found the found the idea of seeking to criticise the horse on something such as colour and how I have conducted the sales process unfair both on the horse who could not have been better behaved throughout and unreasonable when I have been so accommodating. The family have since apologised profusely - and fair play to them for that, not everyone would have done so - and agreed to buy her on my original terms but I am still not sure that I want to go ahead.

A long post, but please do check with vendors before viewing that the price is negotiable or, if after a viewing you feel the horse is not worth the asking price, at that stage discuss your concerns and the value to you. Not after 2 weeks and three viewings

Last edited:

Mlini

Visit site
I paid £1900 for mine, he was advertised for £2250 - he wasn't in great shape at the time. I agree with the other posts about asking if the price is negotiable before viewing. I would pay full asking price if the horse was worth it.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
criticise the horse on something such as colour and how I have conducted the sales process unfair both on the horse who could not have been better behaved throughout and unreasonable

This would get my back up and also concern me. If they belive the idiotic 'chestnut mare' thing, would they put any naughty behaviour - possibly caused by pain - down to her colour, rather than investigate saddle fit etc...?

showpony

Visit site
It really depends on what you think the horse is worth & how much you like the horse!
I tried a few, just werent for me then viewed my Mare & wow was smitten from the minute I saw her.... loved her the minute I got up on her - went back for a second viewing , took her out on the gallops & I knew then I just had to have her - didn't bargin too much as I personally knew another person was riding her again later that day so paid asking & tbh prob would have paid more than what I did..

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
If the horse or pony is the right one and I can afford it I will pay the full price. Just bought a pony for full amount and would pay it again and again as he is perfect. They could have easily sold it. Also sold our smaller pony for full amount.

CobsGalore

Visit site
I would offer what I thought the horse was worth.

My horse was advertised at £1800. I was a bit cheeky and offered £1400, and then paid £1500.

I would ask the owner if they are open to offers before though. (but after seeing horse obviously!)

Big Ben

Visit site
I usually haggle just because:p I've only paid the sticker price on two of mine, one was very fairly priced anyway, and the other I just wanted real bad. Best deal was paying $1000 for a horse advertised at $2500

CatStew

Visit site
Bentley was for sale for £2500 but the lady I bought him from dropped it to £1500 for me. She has several horses at our yard and knew he'd be going to a good home with me. If it was a horse I wasn't familiar with, I'd offer the lowest price I thought possible without taking the p, and negotiate from there.

Dumbo

Visit site
My first pony was advertised for £2800 but bought for £2500. Now I have no idea why my parents paid that amount for a 4yo NF. Anyway, only had him 8 weeks before he went back and we got £2200 for him.
My new horse was £1200 but I didn't make an offer because he was due to go to the dealer in 2 days and I was happy to pay that, infact I would have paid up to £2000 for him.. He's perfect though :)
For a £1600 horse I'd offer £1200 then go up from there, but would pay the asking price if he was worth it

SKW

Visit site
I paid the asking price for my boy even though I felt it was over the odds. His owner made it clear from the start that she wouldn't negotiate. Having looked for a long time and had a few disappointments I decided that he was worth it to me, despite being what I felt was more than his market value.

Luci07

Visit site
I didn't haggle on my horses price. I know my particularly market well and felt he was fairly priced for a properly started and nicely produced youngster. He was considerably more than £1800 though!. He flew his 5* and I am having a lot of fun with him. I would probably paid a little less for a similar sort of horse from a dealer but we know the vendor, we know the history and know exactly how this boy was started. Worth every penny!

mandwhy

Visit site
Generally I'd say knock 10% off however I happily paid the asking price for mine as it was far under my budget (by a grand!) and she was easily worth it, priced to sell so to speak.

It depends what the horse is worth individually, I tend to gain an idea of sensible price first at least based on similar adverts.

I would have no qualms about taking 50% off if that's what I thought it was worth, but I wouldn't expect a seller to accept it of they had priced so high in the first place, so I might say let me know if you drop the price in future...

weebarney

Visit site
My new one had been up for £2500 but had been reduced to 1500 but I haggled and got for £1200. I reckon he's worth at least 2k of anyone's money but person wanted quick sale.