Aston-Le-Walls Or Moreton BE100open?

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
I am currently trying to decide whether I should go to aston-le-walls or moreton for my first BE of the season! On the xc course description on schedule for moreton says the 100 course is not super technical but big and bold. Don't know if aston is any different, but I also don't know which type of course my horse would suit as he's fairly new to me and I've never taken him to an ODE before but he's very experienced so I'm sure he'll be fine with any type of course. Any information at all would be appreciated, I have looked at both schedules but would like to hear some personal experiences. Is there one that's more competitive than the other? Would usually just choose whichever one has sj on surface but they both do, how are the jumps, spooky, up to height? And XC would love to hear how other people found the courses, thanks in advance:)

Tangaroo

Visit site
Moreton SJs are not particularly spooky. Dressage is lovely and flat, behind a hedge away from XC. XC is normally a nice flowing course, not over technical. They have cancelled before due to weather. Im about 15 mins away and the ground is saturated everywhere. If we get a good dry period the ground will be fine but if not in can be holding in places. I dont know anything about Aston.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
I really love Moreton, always used to start my season there. Ground is usually good unless absolutely torrential the night before (has happened once.) Show jumps are nice and with a decent arena, though initial warm up is on grass so can be a bit stick (but really not bad.) XC is really nice, a fun course to ride with everything you'd want to practice over, and a lot of decent eventers start their season there so it's got a nice atmosphere.

Haven't done the early ALW event before, and have only done Intermediate there, but it's also a really nice venue. A bit more used so feels a bit less "special" because the course looks more used. Ground also pretty good there and the SJ arena is really beautiful. Can't comment on the 100 XC.

If I were you I'd look at how far they are and consider that. That said though, I'd always pick Moreton to start the season :)

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
I really love Moreton, always used to start my season there. Ground is usually good unless absolutely torrential the night before (has happened once.) Show jumps are nice and with a decent arena, though initial warm up is on grass so can be a bit stick (but really not bad.) XC is really nice, a fun course to ride with everything you'd want to practice over, and a lot of decent eventers start their season there so it's got a nice atmosphere.

Haven't done the early ALW event before, and have only done Intermediate there, but it's also a really nice venue. A bit more used so feels a bit less "special" because the course looks more used. Ground also pretty good there and the SJ arena is really beautiful. Can't comment on the 100 XC.

If I were you I'd look at how far they are and consider that. That said though, I'd always pick Moreton to start the season :)

Ok thanks so much I have looked how they far they both are away and I'm literally right in the middle so it makes no difference haha!

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
Moreton SJs are not particularly spooky. Dressage is lovely and flat, behind a hedge away from XC. XC is normally a nice flowing course, not over technical. They have cancelled before due to weather. Im about 15 mins away and the ground is saturated everywhere. If we get a good dry period the ground will be fine but if not in can be holding in places. I dont know anything about Aston.

Okay thank you it sounds like a nice first event of the season! Hopefully it will be dry for a while:)

star

Visit site
I've done both. Preferred the SJ at Moreton as bigger arena and lovely course. If you go on my YouTube (Nikki Holehouse) there is a video of the dressage and sj from last year. I didn't actually run XC as hurt my back SJ but it was a decent course. Ground was a bit sticky in places but good for time of year. Aston is usually dressage and sj on a surface which is nice. XC is usually pretty straightforward again if you go on my YouTube there is videos of dressage, SJ and some XC from there from 2014. My whole XC round is on one of the rider video sites. Will see if I can find a link. If I had the choice I'd go to Aston over Moreton I think but not much in it.

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
I've done both. Preferred the SJ at Moreton as bigger arena and lovely course. If you go on my YouTube (Nikki Holehouse) there is a video of the dressage and sj from last year. I didn't actually run XC as hurt my back SJ but it was a decent course. Ground was a bit sticky in places but good for time of year. Aston is usually dressage and sj on a surface which is nice. XC is usually pretty straightforward again if you go on my YouTube there is videos of dressage, SJ and some XC from there from 2014. My whole XC round is on one of the rider video sites. Will see if I can find a link. If I had the choice I'd go to Aston over Moreton I think but not much in it.

I recognise your name haha watched you ride around badminton grassroots!!!:D Thanks for the help!

ihatework

Visit site
For an early run I'd probably opt for Aston purely because they are less likely to cancel.
They have invested massively in all weather surfaces and the dressage & SJ is now run on all weather. The xc usually holds up well and if they can run they do.

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
For an early run I'd probably opt for Aston purely because they are less likely to cancel.
They have invested massively in all weather surfaces and the dressage & SJ is now run on all weather. The xc usually holds up well and if they can run they do.

okay thanks!:)

philamena

Visit site
Haven't done Moreton but Aston used to be my local event so I've done a lot there, and the ground stands up really, really well to wet. Went round in the middle of Hurricane Bertha and it was still great to ride on! Plus I think the courses are really inviting. Sounds like both are equally good from what people have been saying! :)

c.h.i.a.r.a

Visit site
Haven't done Moreton but Aston used to be my local event so I've done a lot there, and the ground stands up really, really well to wet. Went round in the middle of Hurricane Bertha and it was still great to ride on! Plus I think the courses are really inviting. Sounds like both are equally good from what people have been saying! :)

Thanks my trainer has said that he prefers aston-le-walls to moreton so will probably go there:)