At 60 can I enter Arab showing classes and what else?

rosie gall

Visit site
Hi have ridden and owned loads of ponies all my life I am happy to say I am keen to keep going. I love showing and all that stuff. I have recently sold my coloured girl (she was so gorgeous) and was thinking about a change. I am favoring Arab x. I have also looked at other natives which I know I can do but I want something with the glide and stride of an arab, almost more a ridden hack. The big question is am I restricted by my age if I go up this route? If so I will just need to keep looking!

be positive

Visit site
There are no age restrictions in adult classes just the show pony/ show hunter/ working hunter pony classes that have to be ridden by children/ young riders. There is plenty to do with a pba you just need to decide which type it is so you can do ridden pb classes and the type class as well, most will be hacks or riding horses just avoid one that is too ponyish.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
No age restrictions for adults in Arab classes, but if you want to do specific Arab shows the horse has to be registered with the Arab horse society to compete in there classes, there are quite a lot of PBA or Anglo Arab classes at all of the Arab shows which are held all over the country.

rosie gall

Visit site
There are no age restrictions in adult classes just the show pony/ show hunter/ working hunter pony classes that have to be ridden by children/ young riders. There is plenty to do with a pba you just need to decide which type it is so you can do ridden pb classes and the type class as well, most will be hacks or riding horses just avoid one that is too ponyish.
Many thanks be positive - this is really helpful and I know what you mean by too ponyish a very good point.

rosie gall

Visit site
Ridden Hack is really difficult to find that would be my ideal but finding classes to enter are difficult to find. I am waivering on the PBA now and may revert to a Connie - good for hunter classes etc. M&M though the classes are usually big and very time consuming. We are in Dorset so plenty of shows around. I have done coloured, can't be bothered with the hairy version though and the CHAPS rules are mind blowing. Now maybe that is something I should be trying to influence in my old age! Thanks, x

conniegirl

Visit site
Connies dont generally make good hunter ponies if they are typey enough for the M&M classes, also there ARE age limits on hunter pony classes.
If the connie is tall enough for horse classes then it is over height and cant go in M&M classes and most times will be too ponyish for hunter classes

rosie gall

Visit site
There is a nicely bred PBA on horse gossip forum was a bay mare I think.
Thanks will take a look. Think PBA is looking best though I have just found an amazing M&M wow - just too pricey - ouch!! The M&M classes these days are massive there is so much hanging around where as the PBA has fewer entries as a rule. Thinking maybe I am getting mad in my old age!! LOL

rosie gall

Visit site
Connies dont generally make good hunter ponies if they are typey enough for the M&M classes, also there ARE age limits on hunter pony classes.
If the connie is tall enough for horse classes then it is over height and cant go in M&M classes and most times will be too ponyish for hunter classes
Hi, you are right as always and such a sensible head, shame you don't live in my village - it would help me keep the lid on things. What is your advice then about M&M, I have found a lush one on Horsequest. I am put off though as the competition is large, big classes and a lot of hanging around?? Help is very much appreciated.

conniegirl

Visit site
Hi, you are right as always and such a sensible head, shame you don't live in my village - it would help me keep the lid on things. What is your advice then about M&M, I have found a lush one on Horsequest. I am put off though as the competition is large, big classes and a lot of hanging around?? Help is very much appreciated.
it really depends what level you want to show at and where in the country you are.

At county shows the largest are generally the connies and the welshies, so if you can cope with all the hair a fell, dales or highland might be an option. I would say the New forests but they tend to be lumped in with the connies and can lose out.
That said, I've just bought a welsh C.