At 60 what show classes can I enter?

rosie gall

Visit site
Hi, I am a mature rider at 60 (don't know how I got so old!) I am only 5'2 so find that anything above c14.2hh is really too big for me. I am looking to purchase a new pony and I would love to enter SHP, Ridden Pony, HP - but is this possible at my age?

I had previously owned a small show cob but she has gone on to do other things now, so I am keen to find something that can tick my competitive streak but fear that there will be a rider age restriction on the smaller height classes. Can I enter SH, M&M or what?? Any advice would be gratefully received before I go completely down the wrong route. Tx

Snowfilly

Visit site
Stay away from the plaited ponies - all the show ponies and show hunter ponies have age limits.

Mountain and moorland classes are open to everyone - get a smart Highland, Fell or Dales if you like the cobby sort! Easy to find classes at every local show, loads of competitions as you go up the levels and there's the WHP classes if you fancy leaving the ground.

I'm not sure of the rules re: coloured traditional cobs but you might find they're an option as well.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
You can show in all trad cob and native classes I think. But natives are far easier maintenance than cobbies with all that hair!!

There's also small hunter classes that something at the top end of your height range might not look too diddy in

conniegirl

Visit site
You can do M&M's and coloureds. For the coloureds if you get a plaited pony then you will only be able to do the coloured classes not the SHP or Show pony classes as those have age limits.

be positive

Visit site
You can do M&M's and coloureds. For the coloureds if you get a plaited pony then you will only be able to do the coloured classes not the SHP or Show pony classes as those have age limits.

You can also look at Arabs or a pb, a pba is versatile and can often do small RH or hacks as well as the ridden pb classes, mine is 15 hands and did well in a range of classes as well as doing dressage, you have the plaiting to do but if that is what you enjoy it could fit the bill if you can find a nice one just over 148.

catkin

Visit site
Get yourself a native.

Fab ponies, can do anything and just the most fun.
No age limits on M&M showing classes and there are breed shows and the BD championships for natives too.

gallopingby

Visit site
Depending where about you live any of the large breed M&Ms would be good. All have breed shows etc plus you can do WHP, dressage, flat showing and anything else you'd like, no age limits. Most the breed societies have local /areas but for max flexibility I'd go with a breed more local to the area you live in. Some breeds are considerably more expensive than others. If you're looking for a cheaper more hobby type a coloured might fit the bill in either a hairy or plaited variety!

Carrottom

Visit site
If you fancied a finer type, easier on the hips, you might find an ex racer at 14.2 to 15 hands. I have seen some beautiful small flat bred mares sell for very little.

only_me

Visit site
Unfortunately you can’t do whp/Shp/sp as you have too many birthdays!

Alternatively you could get a Connie or similar 14.2 native and do all the m&m classes, they don’t have age limits.
Or get a 15.1ish and do smalls, such as Hack, small Hunter, small riding horse etc.
I’m not sure about ladies classes in England but in Ireland we have ladies astride as well as side.

Yeomans

Visit site
I am a young 60 and last year brought a lovely 14.2h Connemara gelding. I have competed in hunter trials, showjumping, dressage, working hunter, showing, beach rides and anything that takes my fancy. You cant beat a good connie, go out and have fun while you can and don't worry about what other people think, it is how you feel.

be positive

Visit site
On this subject, can anyone tell me why adults on ponies dress like children in some show classes? Not having a go - just find it a bit odd and disconcerting.

The turnout is basically the same for adults and children so not sure in what way the adults are dressed like children, other than small breed m&m where adults traditionally wear short boots rather than long ones, they shouldn't be in plaits and ribbons which is really the only other difference.

gallopingby

Visit site
As be positive says, short boots for small breeds M&Ms - that's correct attire and doesn't mean that children should wear long boots on large breeds unless they are older/teenagers.

only_me

Visit site
I am a young 60 and last year brought a lovely 14.2h Connemara gelding. I have competed in hunter trials, showjumping, dressage, working hunter, showing, beach rides and anything that takes my fancy. You cant beat a good connie, go out and have fun while you can and don't worry about what other people think, it is how you feel.
OP is specifically interested in what showing classes can do

gallopingby

Visit site
Not sure what the problem is. With a registered M&M best to have a look on the showing societies webpages and then decide which to join. NPS / BSPS - they now have heritage classes for all ages although only ridden showing or PUK. Also the much newer showing register. Showing classes will depend on the age level of experience of the pony. NPS have novice/intermediate and open in flat classes and similar in WHP. Also dressage at whatever level you want to start at. Most breed societies have area groups where theres the opportunity to meet others with similar interests.

rosie gall

Visit site
You can also look at Arabs or a pb, a pba is versatile and can often do small RH or hacks as well as the ridden pb classes, mine is 15 hands and did well in a range of classes as well as doing dressage, you have the plaiting to do but if that is what you enjoy it could fit the bill if you can find a nice one just over 148.
Since starting this thread I have found a super 3yo part arab that I am very tempted with she stands at 148 currently. I could show her in hand and I guess pba classes. I notice there are fewer RH classes these days but that would float my boat. I did purchase a copy of the BRC Member handbook, but that is going to take some sort of reading to get to grips with eligible classes for mature ladies!
I am wavering on her as I already feel more limited on classes.

rosie gall

Visit site
Stay away from the plaited ponies - all the show ponies and show hunter ponies have age limits.

Mountain and moorland classes are open to everyone - get a smart Highland, Fell or Dales if you like the cobby sort! Easy to find classes at every local show, loads of competitions as you go up the levels and there's the WHP classes if you fancy leaving the ground.

I'm not sure of the rules re: coloured traditional cobs but you might find they're an option as well.
Thanks Snowfilly for that, I am beginning to think it should be M&M, so need to find a cracking youngster - how hard can that be??

rosie gall

Visit site
I am thinking pba currently as I love the RH classes too, you might have a good point there. As I am only 5'2 I think I may struggle now with anything cobby, though Connies are not so. Can I ask how many birthdays you have had???

be positive

Visit site
Since starting this thread I have found a super 3yo part arab that I am very tempted with she stands at 148 currently. I could show her in hand and I guess pba classes. I notice there are fewer RH classes these days but that would float my boat. I did purchase a copy of the BRC Member handbook, but that is going to take some sort of reading to get to grips with eligible classes for mature ladies!
I am wavering on her as I already feel more limited on classes.

I am not sure 3year old is ideal if you want to know what you are getting, if it is your only horse being unable to try before buying means you have no idea whether you will enjoy riding it and it can be tricky to judge temperament, unless you are really experienced with youngsters I would look for one that is at least started and ready to bring on.

As for classes most shows will have at least one ridden and one in hand you can do whatever you buy, with an M&M you will probably have just those to do, if the show has a ridden pba and RH that is two you can do, if you want to take the showing fairly seriously you would not want to do more than 2 classes at a show anyway so should not be limited whichever way you go.

I think you are possibly over thinking it all, find a nice quality pony that you like, that fits into a category/ class, that you can ride, enjoy and treat the shows/ competing as a bonus, if you have fun doing it and bring home some ribbons then you are a winner anyway.

catkin

Visit site
I am not sure 3year old is ideal if you want to know what you are getting, if it is your only horse being unable to try before buying means you have no idea whether you will enjoy riding it and it can be tricky to judge temperament, unless you are really experienced with youngsters I would look for one that is at least started and ready to bring on.

As for classes most shows will have at least one ridden and one in hand you can do whatever you buy, with an M&M you will probably have just those to do, if the show has a ridden pba and RH that is two you can do, if you want to take the showing fairly seriously you would not want to do more than 2 classes at a show anyway so should not be limited whichever way you go.

I think you are possibly over thinking it all, find a nice quality pony that you like, that fits into a category/ class, that you can ride, enjoy and treat the shows/ competing as a bonus, if you have fun doing it and bring home some ribbons then you are a winner anyway.

this is sound advice.

Though of course it is highly probable that the pony will find you.

Another factor with a 3year old - expect to spend a lot of time and money on training - and for a couple of years rather than a couple of weeks. Yep, I did the 'daft thing' - went out looking for a nice green but backed Welshie - and ended up falling in love with a 3 year old Fell and backing him at nearly 60. Think very hard if you go this route :)

gallopingby

Visit site
I agree with the others, if you really are keen to get out and do things best to buy one ready to get on and go now. It’s not as easy as it once was to find people able to help and no guarantee sending to a ‘pro’ will produce a good result. Better to wait and find exactly what you’re looking for. A M&M would fit the bill but be prepared to pay for a nicely schooled ready to show one, it could be with you a long time and you’ll find most of the breed groups are friendly.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If the OP fancies splashing out there's a nice Fell who has been to HOYS for sale today on the Fell Pony Facebook group

mcnaughty

Visit site
Pull your brave pants on and get yourself a nice show cob! 15hh is not massive and easy to get on and off at our age! Then, if it is coloured too you can do cob, coloured, riding horse, working show horse, working hunter and a whole load of in hand classes too. Or if you really want to keep to under 14.2 hh get a good quality pedigree M&M - any of the breeds are nice but some can multi function as plaited workers too ie the not to hairy ones. You cannot mess with the hair of a highland, fell or dales but the rest you can within reason pull and trim gently and get some plaits in. Happy Shopping!

conniegirl

Visit site
our brave pants on and get yourself a nice show cob! 15hh is not massive and easy to get on and off at our age! Then, if it is coloured too you can do cob, coloured, riding horse, working show horse, working hunter and a whole load of in hand classes too. Or if you really want to keep to under 14.2 hh get a good quality pedigree M&M - any of the breeds are nice but some can multi function as plaited workers too ie the not to hairy ones. You cannot mess with the
You cannot do both cob and riding horse classes, they are totally different types of horse!