At a loss, please help!

thermidor08

Visit site
My daughter has 2 horses, 1 retired with injury and 1 in work. The injured one is an ex-racer who we have had for 4 years, half of that he has been injured. We got our 2nd one last august and although kept at the same yard weren't turned out together. Roll on to April this year and we moved to our own 5 acre field as injured one needs to be out and new one doesn't stable easily, they are in together and get on very well on the whole but recently our ex-racer just wont leave new one alone. He is very dominant, walking him on, wanting to play all the time and generally being a nuisance.
Because of this awful weather my field is just completely flooded and I have no where dry for them so keep moving them round paddocks as they are just constantly churning up the ground. This evening the new one is lame, I think he's probably slipped being chased round the field. Obviously if he needs the vet he will be called out tomorrow but in the long run what should I do? Seperate them and have them running up and down the fence line or keep them in together? New one suffers from seperation anxiety badly if the other is taken away from him... I just don't know what to do for the best? Ideas??

thermidor08

Visit site
We had them seperated by electric when we first moved as ex-racer was still on restricted turnout due to injury but he just ran up and down which I feel is counter productive, ( he has had collateral ligament damage and psd in last 2 years) he is the troublesome one as the new horse is happy to be alone as long as he can see our other one!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Assuming they aren't on strict diets could you put hay out with them to keep them occupied, especially if grounds getting churned up.

thermidor08

Visit site
I have so much grass they actually need grazing muzzles on! I have spoken to a friend this eve and have decided to seperate them as the new one is too precious to risk being injured seriously, I just hope to god he has only pulled a muscle or similar and not more. I will have to accept I will have awful fence lines where the ex-racer walks, I will up his calmer! Thanks for your suggestions tho!

thermidor08

Visit site
No I haven't, ex racer is on thoroughbred calmer. New boy is very chilled most of time, he is happy to leave other horse but not to be left alone at field! Will look into it, thanks.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Are either/both of them ok with sheep? They are great for the land and all ours quite like the sheep, who can provide company for the horse left on its own.

thermidor08

Visit site
Am happy to say we seperated them this morning and both happily munching side by side on opposite sides of the fence, fingers crossed it stays that way!

pip6

Visit site
Ditto sheep, also very good for the pasture. Why not find a local farmer who will lend you a few? He gets his sheep grazed for free (& it will keep your grass down so muzzles not needed), your horses get wooly company. It's what we do & works a treat. So much grass this year had to borrow 15 more sheep!