At the age of 54.....

Coblover63

Visit site
....(rising 55 actually!).....is it possible to tone up and strengthen my core muscles? My husband bluntly told me I'm rising to the trot like a sack of old spuds (and yes, we're still speaking because he knows I'd want to know). Surprisingly, no instrctor has even been tactful enough to have a quiet word, unless it's only started recently. For good measure he video'd me trotting "normally" and then in a more controlled manner and he's dead right. And it's definitely a lack of tone is my core. Oh, the shame.... and my poor, kind, forgiving cob mare!

Best exercise regime please.... pilates, yoga, machine at the gym....or is it way, way to late for this post-menopausal granny?

Mrs B

Visit site
I'm rising 51 so not far behind you :p but yes, it is. I took up rowing just over a year ago (pilot gigs on the sea, but the rowing machines at the gym are just as good) and THE best bit for my core has been at what we call the backstop - i.e. the bit of the stroke where your arms are into your chest and you're leaning back slightly before you push your arms forward to take another stroke. When we're in the boats, they make us row very slowly, so the pause at the backstop is quite pronounced (think counting slowly to 4). By then end of 20 strokes, we're all saying 'OW!' but boy! it works.

Oh - and my upper arms are now as toned as when I was 20. Bonus!

Get someone at the gym to show you how to use the machines correctly though.

Mule

Visit site
....(rising 55 actually!).....is it possible to tone up and strengthen my core muscles? My husband bluntly told me I'm rising to the trot like a sack of old spuds (and yes, we're still speaking because he knows I'd want to know). Surprisingly, no instrctor has even been tactful enough to have a quiet word, unless it's only started recently. For good measure he video'd me trotting "normally" and then in a more controlled manner and he's dead right. And it's definitely a lack of tone is my core. Oh, the shame.... and my poor, kind, forgiving cob mare!

Best exercise regime please.... pilates, yoga, machine at the gym....or is it way, way to late for this post-menopausal granny?

I do reformer Pilates. It's excellent. The mat work Pilates is also very good, but the reformer allows you to isolate the muscles easier.

Check out the qualifications of the person giving the class. Mine is a physio. Also avoid the large gym or yoga pilates groups. In my experience there are too many in these classes for the instructor to give individual attention.

I suffered years of back pain until I started Pilates. If I go a few weeks without it the pain comes back. The reason I started it was to help with my back. But a stronger core has helped so much with riding. The core strength allows me to use my seat aids better. I need a lot less hand and leg aids.

The reformer works your muscles from your toes to your neck. So it strenghtens everything. It also develops body awareness. For example I'm noticing assymetries/ crookedness that I was unaware off.

ETA , pilates/ yoga also stretch muscles as well as just building them up. This is why it gets you more supple and stronger than traditional weight exercises.

Last edited:

peanut

Visit site
I'm 55 (rising 56) and wouldn't dream of thinking I was too old to improve my core!! :eek3: :tongue3:

Lots of sit ups make a huge difference to my core. I also use a rowing machine. I would love to join pilates and yoga classes but don't have time at the moment.

Cowpony

Visit site
Yes definitely reformer Pilates. I'm nearly 57 and my riding has improved no end due to the Pilates class I joined abut 2 years ago. I thought I was reasonably fit anyway, but Pilates strengthens your hamstrings, which help you stand straighter, which in turns helps tone your stomach muscles. And planking on the reformer doesn't hurt either! Or at least, it does, but it doesn't hurt your muscle tone if you see what I mean.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm rising 56 and have good core strength mainly through miles and miles of rising trot over rough ground. Something else that helps is a wobble cushion (its physio device/aid) just stand on that whilst your watching telly and your core will improve no end. - no need to leave the house or invest in gym clothes :D This is what I mean https://www.physioroom.com/product/...ce_Rehab_Fitness_Cushion_35cm/3184/39222.html

Pippity

Visit site
If you have a desk job, see if you can get a stool to sit on, rather than a chair. I've got one for when I'm working from home (3 days a week) and it's made a surprising difference in just a few weeks - enough that my instructor could spot I'd been doing something to improve my core.

Abi90

Visit site
Doesn’t matter what age you are!

Sit ups aren’t actually that great for core strength unless you do the cross fit ones. Crunches are good building up to crunches with a weight, planking, sideways planking, Russian twists with a bag of sugar to start building up to 10kg. Leg raises, v sits.

Just thinking of stuff you can do at home.

Also, like the stool, instead of sitting on a chair at work sit on a gym ball! That will really develop core strength

oldie48

Visit site
Coblover, you are a mere spring chicken! I am fitter now than I was at 50, when I start to think I'm too old to keep myself fit I look at this guy
16195836_1934260323468405_6451183455794802102_n.jpg

Charles Eugster, aged 97, sadly he died in April 17 but I bet he had a steel core right to the very end!

Last edited:

Coblover63

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I have lots of ideas there. My core won't know what has hit it! (Also, apologies for the typo's in my original post.... I'm mortified I didn't spot them and now it is too late to edit!)

shirl62

Visit site
Rising 64 (eek) Not like a sack pf spuds but too upright...Now my instructor wants be to be like a sack of spuds!

Shirl

ZondaR

Visit site
By coincidence, this evening I was in YouTube searching for excercises for dressage riders and came across some vids of strengthening exercises for riders. They looked really good and easy to do at home.

prodigal2

Visit site
pilates, also exercises out of the Mary Wanless book Ride with your Mind. There are now many practitioners now doing equestrian pilates.

and the big one for me is swapping my office chair for a pilates ball. it has changed everything for me. I can be away from home for 4 months and not ride, then get home and go at it for a hour and half lesson and not even feel it, and get compliments on on how my seat has improved.

Also exercises away from a horse help as it becomes more of a neuro linguist reprogramming process. As the great Sylvia Lock would say.

GTRJazz

Visit site
I keep all three of our horses in the stable this time of year otherwise a trek across the field and washing the mud off they would never get ridden in the evening. As a result I have three to muck out every night and the riding which soon has my core strength heading in the right direction esp if I lay off the beer.

I am 57 this August but do not think my age has altered what I can do at my level .
if I feel a bit weak like a lot of us have done after this years flu I think of Mark Todd still at the top of Eventing in his 60s

oldie48

Visit site
Just a thought, it's not just about having a strong core it's also about engaging it when we ride and that ( I am learning) is about position. I've done pilates off and mainly on for the past 10 years and my core is quite strong (can hold plank a lot longer than most half my age) but engaging my core in canter so I can collect is as much about my position as it is my core.

Remi'sMum

Visit site
Check out Dressage Rider Training on t’internet or Facebook. It’s a 12 week programme done at home aimed at riders and it’s all about core strength and balance. It’s really good!! (I’m in no way affiliated to it, just a DRT-er who’s found it really helpful)