Nic

Visit site
Would you be there?

I have 12 hours to decide.
frown.gif

EllieBeast

Visit site
Aww hunni, Huge Hugs(((())))
it is completely up to you, if you feel like it would be easier to gain closure by being there, then do so. but if you would find it too upsetting, then dont. whatever you decide, remember that you are doing the best for your pal.
Sarah xXx

Bri

Visit site
Facing this decision myself.

Although I'd like to be, I think it would haunt me forever. Don't think I'd be strong enough.

Hugs, I know what you're going through xxx

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Yes, absolutely, but I know of people who could not bear to see it and have asked me to be with their horses in their last minutes.
I insisted because I wanted to feel that I comforted him in his final moments, got a chance to say goodbye and had time to sit with him for a while after to mourne and wanted peace of mind that he went quickly and quietly, which all of them did with injection.
but at the end of the day it really is an individual thing.
my empathy to you in this sad time. I am sure you hold a lot of good memories that will never die and will always be with you.
regards
Dawn

Nic

Visit site
I feel like I don't want to, but then I feel selfish and horrible. but not sure if I should take the morning off so I am with Mum anyway

We have had him for 13 years and I am so used to him being here, although we decided at the start of summer it would be his last, I can't get my head round how quickly it has gone.

TGM

Visit site
It was something I wasn't sure I could do, but when the time came I did and was glad I did. Obviously very upsetting and I was very tearful but the end (by injection) was peaceful and dignified.

I hope it goes smoothly whatever you decide - it must be a horrible time for you
frown.gif
. Sending you my sympathy.

_April_

Visit site
It's a tough decision, I really feel for you.

Personally I have been through it once and I chose not to be present. However I have regretted it a bit as I didn't get closure.

I think the circumstances would make a difference though as mine was PTS very suddenly after getting acute grass sickness.
So it was basically that she was there one morning totally fine and then that evening she was gone.
I think if it was old age or more peaceful then I would def. want to be there to say good bye. My experience was just too traumatic to think properly
frown.gif

the watcher

Visit site
I have been for all except one, when I had to be at work and my husband at the time was there, I still regret not being there.
But it is up to you and the important thing is that your friend goes peacefully so if by being upset you might prevent that, it might be best not to be there.

don't feel bad if you can't face it, plenty of people would prefer to have just happy memories

Jazz1

Visit site
I was there until the actual moment it happened which was when I legged it into the house so I couldnt hear anything. My hubby stayed with the horse (I had 3 in 1 year done a few years ago!!) so they had someone there they knew, I didnt ask him, he insisted & said that was his way of saying goodbye. But I knew I couldnt be there & would rather remember them as they were alive.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
You are by no means selfish and horrible and never beleive that. situations like this effect people in many different ways and you are not in the wrong at all by not wanting to be there in person. Some people want to remember them as they were in the feild, others like to be there, others just continue with their day as usuall. I would take time off work though to have the comfort of your family nearby. If you are in the vicinity then you can make a last minute decision if wished to be there, or give him a stroke at the end or just sit quietly under a tree, whatever you feel at the time will be right.
the vets are very sympathetic to this and will treat him with upmost respect and care. It will be quick and painless. a deep sleep. You will miss him that is always enevitable but you will remember him for all the good times and for who he was individually.
thinking of you
Dawn

Happytohack

Visit site
If you feel it would upset you too much then don't be there. I have had 3 horses pts, for two I felt that I couldn't be with them at the final moment, but for the last one I was there and it was dignified and peaceful (by injection). All 3 horses were pts at home in familiar surroundings and knew no stress. This is the most important part. Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision. My heart goes out to you.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I was there with my pony, I couldn't not be. She knew me best and trusted me and had given me 10years of fun so I felt it was only fair to be with her to the end. But its all personal choice and I have seen lots of other people's horses put down so knew what to expect. It still wasn't easy though, but if/when the time comes for Spring I will want to be there too.

Poor you, its the worst decision to have to make. Big hugs. xx

Bri

Visit site
Again, same as me.

I think it would be far easier to cope with if it was the injection, as there's no physical evidence. I think you'll have a gut feeling and you should go with it. If you're not totally sure don't be there.

pottamus

Visit site
No, I could'nt do it ever. I have been through it twice too many and both times I went away. I wanted to remember them alive and how they were personality wise because I know the experience and image would haunt me forever...I know I made the right choice for me.
The first time I went for a ride on another horse...just went off for a hack and came back hours later when I was ready...my parents made me go. The second time I was an adult and there was no way I was staying...I was a mess and devastated.
I feel for you I really do...it's like loosing family and the decision is yours but please don't let that be the last memory you have of your wonderful horse...it is a truly awful thing to have any animal pts...my thoughts are with you.

Nic

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I have taken time off work so I will be there just before if not at the very moment.

Having a very shi**y time just now so thanks for all the hugs.

Tia

Visit site
I've always been there in the past and wouldn't consider not being there for my horses at the end - I believe that this is when they need me most and I couldn't let them down no matter how much I would prefer not to be there ......... however I do totally understand why you may not want to be there. It is an individual's choice and perhaps if you don't feel that you can do it, is there someone else whom the horse knows well and likes who would be kind enough to step in for you?

I have never had any of mine euthanised by lethal injection and I would say that it can be quite traumatic when the horse is shot. If you do choose to be there then my advice is to look away at the last moment and don't look back until the horse is covered. No-one will ever think any the less of you for not being there so never think that.

Just to say I am so sorry - this is always the most harrowing part of horse ownership.
frown.gif

lizlew

Visit site
Really sorry, its a tough decision to make. I dont think i could be there if he is being shot, you want to remember him as he was and wouldnt like that vision being the last thing you remember about him, can someone else who knows him well be with him?

_April_

Visit site
I don't think I could watch any horse be shot tbh let alone my own one.
An injection is a different matter as it's more peaceful.

vicster

Visit site
I had to make the decisions to have my baby put to sleep but i couldn't bear to be there i think i would of been too much of a wreck i was bad enough with my cat. It is such a hard decision it is whether you think you are strong enough to cope with it - i am not you see I am so sorry though xx

pottamus

Visit site
I too have re read the posts and realised you are not using injection...please don't witness your horse being shot, it is dreadful...really.

AliJo

Visit site
So sorry to hear what you're going through. My old pony was pts with a bullet last October and, although I was there until the chap came, I could no way stay with her and just had to run away up the road as fast as my legs would carry me. YO stayed with her and gave her a bucket of carrots to munch on. Unfortunately I still heard the shot from way up the road and I just collapsed in a heap. I like to remember her as I knew her and couldn't cope with the last images. Remember though, they don't know what is going to happen like we do and it is far kinder than to see them suffer.

SSM

Visit site
Sitting at my desk with tears streaming for you. I would want to be there, my voice being the last one they hear telling them how much I loved them (I am a tree hugger!!!!!!) biggest regret to this day of losing Nelly apart from the complete waste of a wonderful young horse was that I was not there to reassure/help her.

Big hug coming up to you.

riotgirl

Visit site
One of my horses was PTS by injection and I stayed with him as it was less traumatic for me to watch. My other boy was shot and my lovely neighbour stayed with him as I was that upset she said I would have made it worse for him as he would have sensed that there was something wrong.
I chopped and changed my decision right up until vet arrived, so you may find you don't know what to do until the last minutes.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If I were you, Id be there. Only because I think Id feel regret if I wasnt there for my boy. But it is of course up to you. You can always arrange to be there up until they are about to do it in which case you can leave. I wouldnt want to see the actual shot either.

Sorry. xxxx

Thistle

Visit site
I have been there for injection but would not be there for shot. I'm having to make the desicision again soo too as my ancient old pony is going down hill.

Seems to be the time of year or something. Many of our friends are passing to Rainbow bridge.

bell134

Visit site
So sorry to hear your news - it is a horrid thing to have to do - went through the same 3 weeks ago with my beautiful welsh cob. I elected to have him shot in the end having spoken to someone who has had experience of both methods. I was with him up to the last, bar his last two minutes. We put him in a field with lots of grass which he hadn't been allowed and a large bucket of his favourite feed. The chap who did the deed couldn't have been kinder, but said it was probably not a good idea to see him actually despatched and taken away. Far better to have happier memories. I'm sure he was right and, three weeks down the line I know it was the right thing to do and only wish that when my time comes someone might do the same for me!!
Thinking of you. x

horsegirl

Visit site
Hi,

I know it will be awful but it is a chance to say goodbye and comfort the horse as he slips away. That said it depends on the method used I suppose but I think I would want to be there until the end. I suppose you have to do what feels right to you but you might regret not being there more than you regret seeing it, hope that makes sense