At the risk of causing trouble, how is using a bareback pad actually riding bareback?

sleepykitten

Visit site
I am curious. I have no wish to inflame the pro-parelli and anti-parelli fraternity as I sit on the fence on this one. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is out for me on this at the moment, but I quite often ride bareback, and I mean, bareback, as in, no saddle or nothing. My backside is in direct contact with the horse.

I am struggling to understand how anyone with a "bareback pad" can claim to be actually riding bareback???

Surely this is just riding without stirrups?

I await enlightenment.....................;)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
erm, am no Parelli-ite but I ride in a saddle pad to keep my breeches clean/dry :D and it's pretty much the same as bareback except (depending on your backside!) slightly more comfortable for horse and rider maybe. don't ride in a suede type pad with sticky bum breeches though..

Kaylum

Visit site
I think it's a bit of security and with a narrower horse won't hurt as much. But yes it's not riding bareback.

TicTac

Visit site
My understanding of the bareback pad is that it is a small leather pad with a loop attached which acts as a handle/support and it doesn't have any stirupps. It is an aid to give you the feel and ability to ride bareback with an added bit of comfort!

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean, I have always thought this! Although I must admit I sometimes throw on a thick saddlecloth held on with an elastic surcingle when the fatty comes in dripping wet and still needs riding! I don't mind a hairy rear end but a soaking wet one is another matter!

Shantara

Visit site
I have a bareback pad with stirrups (nout to do with pirelli in my mind!) so i dont class that as bareback. However, if i took the stirrups off id class it as 'bareback with a cushion' :p

jessykai

Visit site
I have a bareback pad, I ended up in hospital after my first attempt bareback on my old horse. I used the pad to give me something to hold on to and give me some support (had a breast plate and girth so quite stable), but still being able to ride without a saddle for the horses comfort etc. although I am now starting to ditch the pad more :D

IMO it is still 'bareback' as in saddleless

sleepykitten

Visit site
I guess maybe I'm just feeling old, "in my day" :)rolleyes:) it was just a vision of kids galloping around bareback round a field with either end of a leadrope attached to a headcollar. They hadn't even invented outdoor rugs then it was just New Zealands.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, or pining for something

********toddles off to open a bottle of vino collapso and find chocolate*************

claribella

Visit site
I understand your point but when you have a horse like mine with a bony back that kills to ride wih nothing, a pad just helps with comfort. There isn't any support like you would have with a saddle And no stirrups so it's as close as I get to bareback.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I guess maybe I'm just feeling old, "in my day" :)rolleyes:) it was just a vision of kids galloping around bareback round a field with either end of a leadrope attached to a headcollar. They hadn't even invented outdoor rugs then it was just New Zealands.

********toddles off to open a bottle of vino collapso and find chocolate*************

I agree! In the olden days I never tacked up. Head collar and lead rope, no saddle. Easy peasy!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Am another who is in direct contact with the horse when I ride bareback.

Helps he's a chunky Welsh cob, but even if he wasn't don't think I'd buy pad.

Agree re hairy jods esp during spring moulting!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I ride old fashioned bareback, regardless of horse. The pads to me are like pony pads for grown ups. That's not a criticism btw, that's what my daughter rides in when in public or I think stirrups are required. Much better than a saddle that doesn't do anything for the riders seat.
Nothing like a good bareback blast though.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site

I remember those days, I often just rode with a head collar and lead rope, galloping around bareback :eek: Wow I had a sticky bum back then :D
Would not do it now, my back is far too naff already age 31 :rolleyes: so best not to now

jeeve

Visit site
The bareback pad I have is suede with surgical felt lining. I have had it 15 years and still good. I have ridden with and without it bareback, it is not a saddle, it has no support at all. The benefit you get from it is that it is suede and you stick a little better. It is also a little more comfy for bony horses/bottoms.

Like wearing sticky jods. If you can ride bareback with suede pad, then you can ride bareback without it. When riding bareback without a pad, you get hair and sweat all over your pants. My kids use both with and without bareback pad, they have no preference either way. They jump bareback with and without them.

Kat

Visit site
In my mind, and I started riding when hats were held on by elastic, if it is bareback there is nothing between jodhs and horse and nothing to hold on to but the reins/rope and a handful of mane.

You can still call it bareback if the horse is wearing a crusty muddy new Zealand rug, as to be honest that was more hinderence than help!

Best thing for improving walk to canter transitions!

Arabelle

Visit site
I cannot ride bareback as me and my pony are similar in shape (both little and lithe) so are total agony for each other - she has a bony back and I have a bony arse!

When I was between saddles I would literally pile cushions and pads on her, strap then down with an elastic surcingle and climb aboard. It was actually far more difficult than proper bareback as the cushions would wobble and shift. After a while they would pack down and my bones would start digging in, so it could only ever be used for short rides.

When I rode bareback as a teenager I had a chubby native and could jump and everything.