at the risk of sounding a bit thick........

kcgibson

Visit site
......can anyone tell me how the quick release clips actually work?
I have recently bought one and at one end is what i presume is the quick release (it has a rounded shaped end with a metal bit that can slide back and forth. When moved backwards, the rounded clip comes undone) and at the other end is a clip (like you expect to find on the end of a leadrope).
Question 1 - I assume i use the leadrope type clip to attach to wherever i am tying the horse, and what seems like the quick release end to attach my horse? via his leadrope or straight onto his headcollar?
Qestion 2 - How does the quick release actually work cos i dont see how my horse pulling back with force will allow him to break free?

If anyone can explain or knows of a website that can show me pics/explain, that would be great.

Thanks!!

KatB

Visit site
Because the slidy metal bit is holding the clip closed, if enough force is applied, the clip will "spring" open. However, the quick release name comes from the fact you can release it quickly if the horse is putting all its weight on it, eg falling over/panicking which cant be done with "Normal" leadrope clips
smile.gif

TiaPony

Visit site
at our yard, we have the 'leadrope' clip attach to some bailing twine which is then in turn attached to the metal ring on the wall. I do not think the idea of the quick release is for him to be able to pull himself free but for you to easily release him. Ours clip straight onto the headcollar ring, where you would usually attach your leadrope
x

Marnie

Visit site
Just be careful if you are leading with a quick release lead rope - I have several times grabbed the sliding part, released the clip and my horse has been loose! I only use them in my trailer now - you can get thew short ones and I just leave them in there, the quick release clip atached to baling twine and the trailer tie ring, the 'normal' end to the headcollar - I was never very good at tying securely, and this makes things much easier!

kcgibson

Visit site
Mmmm...ive had one person say clip the quick release to the horse's headcollar, and one person say clip the quick release to the tie ring. Is there a right or wrong? Or a best way to do it? not sure which way is best?
Thanks everyone for clearing up my confusion! Just need that bit clarifying tho!!
smile.gif

Marnie

Visit site
I think I probably do it the wrong way in the trailer - normal clip to the headcollar, but I find it easier that way, I fumble around with the quick release, so find it easier to leave it as it is!

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Sorry I was taking the p**s, so didn't read properly quick release to the headcollar with push release facing inwards. knot on ring. Reason for this is when you tie & untie you risk chaffing your horse, also too much going on too close if the horse is nervous, it is also easy & that's the way we all do it so it makes a universal standard you may tie up but it may be somebody else that needs to release it quick when your horse is dancing on top of you...hope that answers your query

spooks

Visit site
used to use these on otto when he was tied to the lorry...he used to release himself more often than not so now just use a normal leadrope...although the welsh one has taught him how to undo those to..

kcgibson

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I was taking the p**s, so didn't read properly quick release to the headcollar with push release facing inwards. knot on ring. Reason for this is when you tie & untie you risk chaffing your horse, also too much going on too close if the horse is nervous, it is also easy & that's the way we all do it so it makes a universal standard you may tie up but it may be somebody else that needs to release it quick when your horse is dancing on top of you...hope that answers your query

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i really am sounding thick now! lol
can i clarify:
i attach the quick release to the horse's headcollar (the push release facing inwards). At the other end of the tie there is a 'normal' clip and i attach that to the metal tie ring. Is that correct?

Breezesbenefactor

Visit site
Noooooooooooooooo, first bit fine second bit on the ring there must, must, must be a piece of bail twine the end of the lead rope goes through that and is then tied in the quick release style.....it is really important you do it this way. Think of it like this if you don't your horse will die use that as the incentive...works for me. The only time you need to thread something through that ring without twine is when putting up a hay net and personally I think these should be banned I hate them...put it on the floor.