At the vets with a Rottie with a poorly paw

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
He was limping yesterday and today it's swollen.

This is the Rottie who gets worried and so far, despite demanding cuddles all afternoon, has not let me look at it properly, just a cursory look. I've no idea how the vets are going to do it without me there. I tried to explain on the phone but not sure I made myself clear.

I may yet take up drinking. Just holding it together on other things in life, and whilst I don't expect anything drastic, there may well be tears before the day is out. Again.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Poor boy. It's doubly hard at the moment with vets. Perhaps you could pop him in a stable and pretend he's a horse. At least you'd be able to stay with him.
Seriously though, really hope it's nothing to bad. Would he allow you to soak it in some salty water in case a thorn or splinter has pierced his pads ?

Bellasophia

Visit site
oh dear,I hope it’s something easily fixed..my st poodle really frightened me in summer walking along a country road.He came up suddenly lame,held his foot high and nearly fell to the floor..Olivier would have been envious of the performance .I looked at his foot and he had a whole hazelnut in the fold of his foot..flicked it out and he actually grinned at me and trotted on.You would have thought he had broken his toe prior.:rolleyes:
I hope it’s an easy fix For your rottie.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I hope he's ok. Our remaining Rotter doesn't like going to the vets - they take your temperature you know!:eek:;) August Bank Holiday Saturday, (OOH) she knocked the top of a 'warty thing' on her elbow, playing with the Labs. It would not stop bleeding, so I rang the surgery, who said bring her down now.

We put her in the car and didn't realise but the wart stopped bleeding as she got into the car. Sister took her into the Reception but couldn't go any further with her. As there wasn't much to do all was well but we knew they would probably have sedated her if they needed to anything more than look. My advice is to make sure that he sees a vet who is not frightened of Rotters. Ours was even more put off by a young vet who was scared of her when she went to show them her eye aged about 12 months(?). The poor dog had done nothing to be scared of.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you folks.

The vet was grand. Really lovely. And very sane and sensible and pragmatic. Rottie stayed in the boot of the car with the overhead light on and vet had a good a looksee as possible. And fed him treats, so she's his new favourite person!

Antibiotics and Metacam for a week. If no improvement then hopefully it won't be ouching so much when they see him again.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yes he's ok, MrsM. 4 vet visits to figure out he's got a cyst on his anus. ?? suspect we'll be back in a couple of weeks having it popped or removed because as soon as the cone of shame is off I reckon he'll be chewing at it again... poor spangle.

Rottie will enjoy special cheese time this week! Hopefully it's something simple like a cyst for him too. x