At what age!? ...... Musing......

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Me and Dad were rolling some round bales in to the very muddy, clay fields last night and it was taking time and it just seemed so much harder then before. After we staggered in for a couple of tea, my Dad asked me realistically how long I was going to carry on riding.......? I am 50 this year. It is a thought, how long to people expect to carry on? I'm not thinking of giving up by the way, it just made me think......
At what age did people give up riding? What age are our ( disgraceful ) oldies still riding on here? How have you changed things to keep riding?

Not trying to be offensive , just interested :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Me and Dad were rolling some round bales in to the very muddy, clay fields last night and it was taking time and it just seemed so much harder then before. After we staggered in for a couple of tea, my Dad asked me realistically how long I was going to carry on riding.......? I am 50 this year. It is a thought, how long to people expect to carry on? I'm not thinking of giving up by the way, it just made me think......
At what age did people give up riding? What age are our ( disgraceful ) oldies still riding on here? How have you changed things to keep riding?

well I have a few years on you (4) 5 this year I am carrying on till my body gives up or bits fall off or my brain does. I am going to be resting long enough in a coffin or in the next world so i might get slower or limp but I am keeping going.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I will stop when I can't get on anymore.
I'm partly broken, hence also the reason I wont have a young horse, but do enjoy my riding still :)

TFF, mid 50's, happily fast hacking, pleasure rides, doing RC low key stuff (low key as current mount not really suited for going up a notch, but is a very comfy well mannered conveyance :)

lilacjackie

Visit site
Mere babies lol.... you got years to go yet, I am 63, still riding and looking after my ISH (15yo) on a DIY basis, twice a day every day, only a happy hacker these days but still loving it although I have slowed down a bit.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I'm 55 and got my own horse just after I turned 48. Now I have to make up for lost time and have no intention of stopping until there@s no physical way of getting me onto a horse. My mom is 81 and very fit, so I reckon my genes could keep me riding into my 80s with luck.

Jinx94

Visit site
Not horsey, but sort of an example - a woman that used to work for my dad only stopped kayaking in her own kayak when she strained her heart lifting it over her head aged 80 :p she now shares a two person kayak with her son and is still going strong I believe! She must be pushing 90 now!

Cowpony

Visit site
I'll be 55 soon and I'm not planning on giving up until I have to! My horse will be 13 in May so I'm hoping we can retire together in about 10 years time.

fathorselover

Visit site
A lady on our yard is at least 70 and gets out several times a week on her 25/26 year old Welsh d- she popped a jump the other day and has been known to have a good old gallop on him (like the other day with me!) I guess she will keep going for as long as possible - she clearly still enjoys it and they are both looking well!

rachk89

Visit site
I am still young but the queen still rides and she is near 90 isn't she? You can keep riding as long as you want and physically can I guess.No need to stop just because of age.

[100323]

Visit site
I returned to riding in my early sixties, 65 now. Walking was getting very painful. Since returning to riding I can now do a brisk three mile walk pain free.

DonskiWA

Visit site
I'm 48 and have been riding again after a 20+ year break. I'm eventing and finding the day after doing any jumping quite tough. Unless I drink ALOT of water and take daily magnesium, I'm in a world of pain.
I'm not giving up though, but will 'retire' to just dressage one day!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I'm 66 and one friend is about 63, another early 70's, third is in 75. We all have our horses at home and between us do low level hunting, fun rides, lessons and hacking. First friend and I still jump but not high. The oldest doesn't jump at all, the 70+ jumps occasionally. We all keep our horses at home. None of us have any intention of stopping.

Visit site
Idont ride now but equate the mucking out and general weight lifting etc involved in daily care with a good session at the gym (which I would not go to )feel quite well except for slightly painful knee at age of 68!

Queen is 90 this year I believe

Limbo1

Visit site
I used to hack out with a chap who I think was late 70s - not really the type of thing you ask! He rode his daughters hunter keeping it fit during the week - just hacking but would happy come out for 4 hrs!.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I am 70 in a couple of months and still hack out my very lively warmblood cross most days( as long as she is sound enough). if she was younger I would ride every day. I also look after her completely including mucking out, shifting hay bales, poo picking in muddy field. I must admit the worst job is the poo picking and I really struggle with that now.. cant see me giving up for a good few years yet....

Mrs G

Visit site
Kudos to all those still riding in 'later age'! Personally I intend to go on as long as I have current ponio. I intend him to be my last as having him has pretty much fulfilled my dreams but it's not just the riding is it? Physically I already find all the mucking out, poo picking, heavy lifting, paddock maintenance etc exhausting, and the stress and worry involved (injuries; his and mine (!) livery yard politics etc). All my free time; a lot of our money; they all go on him. Don't get me wrong, this is how I want it at the moment, but I (and OH!) would like to think there is more to life eventually x

horseaddict

Visit site

Crikey, this post could have easily been written by me!
I'm a couple of years older, but this year particularly the winter chores and maintenance seem to be much harder.
I read your post to my OH and he commented that your dad is likely to be around 70 and so perhaps he is finding it hard too?
We must be crazy to drag ourselves out in all weathers and do the things we do. I've always said that I couldn't imagine living any other way, but sometimes I'm tempted!
Perhaps change to small bales for easier handling?

oldie48

Visit site
Goodness, I didn't start riding until I was nearly 50, bought my first horse for my 50th birthday, whom I still have but he's aged 28 and retired. I bought new horses at 60 (sold now) and a lovely 16.2 coloured horse 7/8th tb for my 65th. He's a forward going gent, who stands like a rock for me to mount, thank goodness and I intend to carry on as long as my body permits it. I'm a pretty fit 67 year old and I think riding helps to keep me young but I won't have anything on the yard with poor manners! I still have unfulfilled ambitions.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A friend at the yard is 70 and rides every day if it's light enough when she gets there from work. She recently bought a 9 year old cob, who is not a rock solid horse, but has a character! She came off a while ago, rolled, straight back on. I so admire her!

Visit site
I also find it harder to dodge out of the way of fidgety horses now and cant duck under the fencing as easily. I do wonder how I would be if I didn't get the exercise daily, I am very fond of sitting indoors doing s*d all !

VikingSong

Visit site
The Queen is still riding and she's nearly ninety! I didn't buy my first horse until I was in my early thirties. That's a lot of years I missed out on. I'll stop riding when I'm dead.

[100323]

Visit site
It is important to keep active as long as possible, and doing something enjoyable makes it easier. Caring for and riding is good exercise. Some days are harder than others, lugging muck, feed bags and bales about, but my hips have siezed up once without exercise so I do not want it to happen again, so I shall try and keep going as long as possible.

Fiona

Visit site
My hubby's uncle is still riding and competing at over 80...

He doesn't hunt any more, but certainly seems to enjoy his xc and two phases.

Fiona

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Crikey, this post could have easily been written by me!
I'm a couple of years older, but this year particularly the winter chores and maintenance seem to be much harder.
I read your post to my OH and he commented that your dad is likely to be around 70 and so perhaps he is finding it hard too?
We must be crazy to drag ourselves out in all weathers and do the things we do. I've always said that I couldn't imagine living any other way, but sometimes I'm tempted!
Perhaps change to small bales for easier handling?

My Dad is 75 and retired last year, he is very fit but boy we were finding those bales hard to push!!! :D

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Thank you all so much, I see I've still got a way to go before I have to worry!
So much so I am in the process of buying a new horse....a rock solid Shire X , slow (ish) and steady, going to have to get my Dad to build me a loading platform so I can get on and off!!!
I really enjoyed reading all your stories.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
56 and still competing, love a fast hack and cross country, can't wait for Halton - I will get a better jump over that 'plane than I did last year LOL.

I bought my boy two years ago this weekend, he'll be eight this year and I intend to carry on for as long as I physically can. I have aches and pains but my mantra is that I can live with them as long as they don't interfere with my riding.

I find getting off the worst. I have to psych myself up, wiggle the old hips, and ankles and try to lower myself gently to ground as my poor old ankles (I have the equivalent of capped hocks on my ankle bones LOL) really feel it if I hit the ground too hard. Funny though, I'm fine getting off at shows, maybe it's adrenaline.

I'm planning to do an ODE at the end of April :)

I will admit that I do feel really exhausted after a long day at a show and every few days working long hours and then going up the yard afterwards each day does catch up with me a bit and I feel it for a dew days if come off. BUT, having got back in to horses after having given up at 46 has made me feel 20 years younger (That and losing about 6 stone of unsightly flab so I could enjoy being active again :)