At what point would you mention your horse cribs?

Charmin

Visit site
I'm about to have surgery and am looking to loan my mare out for 6months - a year.

She is honestly a dream to ride, she's a 14.2hh who is very safe in industrial traffic, competitive BE 80-90, dressage scores 70+ and so has a lot going for her.

Her biggest flaw is that she prefers not to be stabled (cribs and gets destructive) and cribs. The cribbing is when she's bored and lacking in forage. Can vary from not doing it for weeks to when the grass is low doing it a lot. Strangely she doesn't make a mess of the fencing as she doesn't chew, merely grips and sucks.

We have room and funds to have her back at any time if they feel they cannot cope, but she's a very intelligent mare and it's in her best interests to be kept ticking over (barely cribs at all when in full eventing work, cribs more when not in work). So as it's a short term loan the usual reasons for holding back on buying a cribber (later life and ruined teeth etc) shouldn't be as much of a factor.

So. Opinions please.

L&M

Visit site
I would mention it in the advert - saves any disapointment for prospective loaners, and your time being wasted.

The cribbing would be a major issue for some - especially if they need to move her to a yard where 24/7 turnout is not available.

Good luck as she sounds like she has a lot to offer to the right home.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well, you sometimes see ads for horses saying "Lives Out" and you wonder what the reason is - cribs, weaves, coughs? It does send up alarm signals. I think it should be mentioned from the start. From what you say it can be managed, and if the horse is a star in other ways then people can live with it OK.

I had a horse that would weave in certain circumstances, but she made up for it in other ways and I had no trouble selling her when I had to.

ajn1610

Visit site
Put it in the ad, you are loaning not selling, it'll weed out those that would be bothered, it wouldn't put me off a loan. She sounds like she'd be great fun for someone. Have you tried her on gastro guard or similar? Oral stereotypic behaviour is often indicative of gastric discomfort. The theory being the habit develops during weaning because the action of cribbing produces excess saliva which is a natural antacid. They do do it to relieve stress from boredom as you've described but since it seems to be linked to forage intake she may have some grumbly in the tumbly too.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I would mention it in the advert, go into full detail about when and why she does it, this will save time wasters.
Could you keep her at your current place and get someone to ride from there?

I say it was wind sucking rather than crib biting if she doesn't actually bit just suck.

Also you say it's boredom/ lack of forage related, sonid maned correctly she shouldn't do it, Adlib hay in stable, hay in field if grass is low.
Have you checked for ulcers?
Or tyres a simple suplliment like acid ease from global herbs abs see if that makes a difference?
Sorry I know your original post wasn't about cutting the vice.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I would say in the advert. My yard is funny about having horses that windsuck/crib (although it wouldn't bother me personally) so it would be best to mention it upfront.