At which point..................

maddielove

Visit site
yep!!!!
i definatley know...
she used to be at my old yard, friends of mine were there

her last pony went from perfect show pony to a wreck
her dad is good though..but she's apparently banned from going the the riding school because of the fact she got a horse whilst being so inexperienced

Bri

Visit site
How can they ban someone from their riding school because they're too inexperienced. Surely they should be offering as much help as they can?
She got kicked out for not following the 'system'?
All I can say is I'm glad I didn't learn to ride their - with no offense meant to the two of you!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Oh............this could be a different person!! (there are techincally 2 possibilities!!) In fact I think I know which one u mean, and her dad is ace - but does EVERYTHING for her - she has learnt nothing (puttingher horse to bed in a stable that had not been mucked out - even to deep litter - and there were bare patched of concrete showing and she didnt get why this was bad)
frown.gif
, although she is allowed to the school as she had a pony there on working livery.

I have no bones about people who are novices and hope and try to learn, and just generally love their horses. Its thoses who think that 10 lessons means they can have a pony, cos their friends do, then they lose interest as they have not been exposed to enough horsey stuff, adn suddenly being ankle deep in s#**e, and trying to catch a nutty horse in the pouring rain is not so appealing.

And no offence, I lasted 2 years there until I realised that they werent teaching me anything so went and got private lessons from the lady up thr road who chairs the PC.

maddielove

Visit site
haha no, i don't know if it's 100% true..
somehing like after she'd had a couple of lessons her dad said he was gonna get her a horse to the owner and stuff..and he was having none of it...something like that

like i said..dont know if it's true

WishfulThinker

Visit site
HAHA,

From what I have just been told it could very well be......................

I shall be careful as dont want to seem any more patronising or 'bitchy' for being concerned. Although some of the greatest horsey peeps I have had the pleasure of working with would be deemed as EXTREMELY patronising on here.

Skhosu

Visit site
good. you've realised what we all have to. I get rebuffed with advce to my sis, but if the trainer says the same thing, its taken on board. I mind my own business now, and everyone's happier, her horse isn't as I would like it kept, but its happy and healthy and she's enjoying it.

_April_

Visit site
This thread is bizzare lol But I guess everyone has their own opinions.

Despite having regular lessons and helping out at a riding school I really knew didly squat when I finally got my own pony!
Luckily I had a horsy mum who kept me in line and I also had the Pony club which was a great help. I think you learn much much more from having your own horse or sharing one rather than just being told what to do all the time.
I still make mistakes (even now I'm 26!) and just because you have a ribbon or something doesn't mean you will know everything...

I like the idea of learning through stages though, is like the Pony Club tests.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
If I ever needed reminded about what a small place Aberdeen is, then this is it.

Please don't mouth off about people when they aren't here to defend themselves. It isn't becoming, and you never know who is reading this.

Frankly you should mind your own business and get on with your own horses. The horse world doesn't need anymore bitchyness.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
OMG...this has given me the best laugh all week.

Some background info first...I have ridden sice I was 4yo. Brought up around hunters and my mum was horsey. Had riding lessons when I was about 9ish, had two loan ponies in my teenage years, rode hunters, gave up on horses.
8 yrs later went to a local yard to get experience and my, how things had changed!! So literally for me was like restarting all again. So many new ways of doing things.

Okay, what level am I at? Well, I can't mount like in stage 1 (pink), as I have to use a mounting block. So BIG fail on me there.
There are things from every level that I can do (except the last...never done a big comp), and things I can't do. I have learnt what's relevant to me and the horse I'm riding.
Stable management wise, I know what I need to know. I have a wealth of books and people I can go to for advice if needed. But I'm no expert.
My kids have a pony, who is healthy and happy. i am breaking him in myself. I wouldnt attempt to break and bring on an eventer or something cos I wouldnt know how really, never wanted to learn as I don't intend on riding an eventer! Pony will know the basics to become a decent ridng pony.
I don't want to go galloping about and jumping, I'm happy to be a happy hacker with a bit of showing thrown in for fun.

But yes, i would fail those tests from the start. I don't, however, consider myself unsuitable to look after a horse / pony.

Whoever invented those tests are thinking along the lines of people who want to compete. I think the horse owners certificates are much more relavent and I would rather see someone who was keen to learn and knew about stable management than someone who could ride fantastically and didnt give a t*ss about stable management.

Oh, and where did sleepingdragon10 say you were jealous? She said it was PATRONISING (which is totally different)...which i agree with.

watcherathome

Visit site
These stages sound very rigid!

At the end of the day the right time to get a horse depends on the rider AND the horse, some will be more forgiving of an owner who makes the occasional mistake or doesnt ride so well..that is why there is such a big market in family ponies and bomb-proof cobs. Other horses will be so sensitive or tempramental that only the most experienced owner should take them on..and there are a lot inbetween.

It might be galling to watch, but you have to just let them et o with it..I wouldnt dream of stepping in uninvited unless there was a real danger of injury or serious harm

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Whilst a certain amount of knowledge is useful, I agree with Tia that it's not essential if there are people around to help, and the person is willing to learn. I was woefully ignorant when I got my first horse on DIY livery in the UK, but i asked lots of questions and learnt loads and loads.
Some people at my yard have bought horses without budgeting for tack, have no idea that horses need to be shod every 4-6 weeks (someone suggested it might be 6 months!!) and it never crosses their minds that horses need to be wormed and vaccinated. Absolutely LUDICROUS IMO!

WishfulThinker

Visit site
I never said Sleepdragon10 said I was Jealous, someone ELSE did.

The only reason I used that silly stages is because of what was mentioned about it by someone elarlier today. They have been around since year dot and are actually quite outdated I think personally.
And yes the horse owner certs would be more relevant, but they werent what came up earlier.
Yes Aberdeen is a WONDERFULLY small place, and my iota of what may be deemed as bitchiness is nothing compared to what i've encountered already!! So maybe I am feeling slightly petty and in a way giving back what was given to me. So what. If it is evident who it was relating to, I highly doubt they would actually care as I already know they just think Im some old fuddy duddy with a stupid horse as I dont flee about at 100mph over massive jumps or whatever.
And yes a lot of the time things are gauling to watch, and I did find it really hard walking away at night knowing that a haynet it too low and a horse might get its leg caught, or that a bed was so thin and badly laid that the horse would be on concrete, but i never stepped in to help as any comment - even a very politely put one - results in them just smirking and walkin away.

When I actually come accross a yard ANYWHERE that no one gives sly looks, whispers and people only have one face, I will know that I'm dead and gone to heaven cos they sure as hell dont exist down here. Women and horses are like Men and cars.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When I actually come accross a yard ANYWHERE that no one gives sly looks, whispers and people only have one face, I will know that I'm dead and gone to heaven cos they sure as hell dont exist down here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but this is the funniest statement I have read on this whole thread! God I soooo love the irony!!
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Sorry, but I think that marking systems like this are ridiculous - I can't ride an elementary test (well not on my wiggly worm) but I could on my friends show pony - does that mean that I can't go past yellow and can't collect £200?

I think you know when you're ready to own a horse and as long as you are sensible, have the horses best interests at heart, are not scared to ask advice and have the basics, then anyone can do it.

Love the way that so many people think that owning a horse is rocket science (usually the people who are not the best owners I might add).

Right, off for my morning tea now! x

WishfulThinker

Visit site
Yeah maybe it is Ironic, but if you cant beat em join em.

I didnt mean it to seem like a personal attack on anyone, and I should have explained a bit more at first that this was just an example that a previous conversation had gone by, and I just wanted peoples views, which I respect, and would hope people would respect mine to.

I am just getting fed up of seeing some sub standard care - and I know this is not just beginners, but can be at any level. I may be hypocritical as the person who currently has my horse has only been riding for a couple of years, but she has a fantastic support network of very experienced friends and reatives, and I know that he IS getting the best care - YES better than me.

Hopefully one day a pre requesite of Horse insurance will be a valid Horse Owners Cert.

And I apologize if I have offended or upset anyone, that was not my intention!

Parkranger

Visit site
I just don't think that horses can be looked after 'by numbers' so to speak.

You can't teach animal husbandry or common sense which are two things so many owners seem to be lacking!

It's certainly a good talking point though!!

x

Theresa_F

Visit site
A odd system for evaluation of someone's ability to keep a horse. On some areas I would be a level 9, but I can deal with a bolting, rearing horse on a gold level. Far too rigid - aimed very much at schooling rather than riding - most people can ride a serpantine but would run a mile at a nappy mare.

I don't ride perfectly - never will, have no intention of doing anything more at local fun level. For me my horse is fun and I now don't have a competition horse.

This system is aimed too much at how well you ride rather than how well you look after your horse.

My OH took on his horse with only being able to walk and trot and just about canter. His technic is not great, he prefers the relaxed style of western. He can do basic lunging with a horse that knows what it is doing.

Cairo is well looked after, a picture of health and if there is anything he is unsure about he refers to me, and if I am unsure, I find someone who does know, normally my vet or farrier.

I have known people who should have not bought a horse and they could ride beautifully, equally I have friends who are average riders, little experience but get help all the way.

Often if someone is not doing something well, tactful advise can be offered, and will be taken. I have often done this with the novice kids, and if done correctly they will listen. You suggest rather than enforce.

If they tell you to get lost, then it is their horse. If it truely is being looked after incorrectly, then call in the ILPH and let them deal with it.

SillyMare

Visit site
Ha ha, think I must be pink beginner level - Lexi absolutely refused to halt in her dressage test on Saturday (PN110 - the one with the halt in the middle of the test right under the judges nose).

Seriously though, I fail to see how someone's riding ability is any real indication of their ability as a horse owner. All anyone really needs is a good dose of common sense and enough knowledgeable people around to provide advice (without judgement).

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
When I got my first pony I was 12, I had only been riding for 6 months, had only ever cantered 3 times and had never jumped. I didn't know how to put a bridle on as I had never put one on in my life or a saddle either.
I had no stable management experience at all and my parents are totally non horsey. By rights I should have killed myself and my pony but was lucky enough to keep him at a place where I had lots of help from very experienced people (adults and children)
My pony (Timmy) was about 15 yrs old and a complete saint. He was an ex JA showjumper and loved jumping. He was a perfect beginners pony tho and taught me loads. I owe everything to that pony and had the best times of my life with him. I did loads of things wrong but learnt from my mistakes and its all credit to him that 23 years on I am still riding and love it.
I'm so pleased I didn't stay in a boring old riding school for ever as I learnt so much more with my own pony.
I did my first ever jump on him, but my god he could buck! I am still very good at staying on bucking horses, thanks to him lol
smile.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Find this thread quite bizarre, but this the most bizarre comment of all.
[ QUOTE ]
I just feel that some BASIC knowledge is essential. And I know I'm not alone in this.............I'm sure the ILPH, BHS, RSPCA would agree!
And I know that abuse can happen at ANY level. But there is a difference between those who Dont know, an those who know better yet still chose to do it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, the girl you are on about has no knowledge in your book?
Are you stating abuse is ok if people know it is abuse?
Surely ignorance is more excusable?
TBH, I would be more inclined to say, that people who actually thought any of that crap made sense were more unlikely to be responsible horse owners.

WishfulThinker

Visit site
No, Im saying that there is a difference between not knowing any better, adn doing something by accident - which is excusable, and those who know what will happen if they do something, yet still choose to do it.

I never said she had NO knowledge at all. And I meant in general there should be some basic knowledge.

Apparently there was an article on it in H&H a while back, about the demise of old fashioned riding schools and the increase in novice owners that brought up similar points to what I was TRYING to say.

dizzydolly

Visit site
grin.gif
When i got my first pony i was 9, had been having weekly lessons for a few years previous so could walk, trot, canter and jump a bit, but didnt have a clue about looking after ponies. Parents totally non horsy too, first day none of us could get the bridle on, it looked and felt too small so went off searching for our 'correct' one, only for knowledgeable livery on yard to tack up pony for us in a split second. Dont know how that pony survived really with us complete novices looking after her, shouldnt have been allowed
grin.gif

And frankly, I would never have learned HOW to look after horses if i hadnt had got my own, so i'm glad there wasnt a compulsory test we had to take at the time to allow us to get a pony.