Atypical Myopathy ASAP pls

hock

Visit site
Advise, happy ending stories, prayers please.

A very dear friend of mine had just lost her beloved horse in 24 hours and her other horse has just been taken in to hospital.

Bloods confirmed and the second horse was in the clinic within 90 minutes and is so far doing well.

HHO please pray and anyone who can offer any advice pls help, we are desperate.

Britestar

Visit site
Mine was assumed to have it, but too far from any hospital to transport.
He was supported at home and recovered, but did suffer toxic laminitis in all four feet as a result.
He was very well looked after and made a full recovery, and went back to competing. He's retired now.
It will be 10 years this year.

Was heart wrenching and twice we almost made the decision to pts. We had a great team behind us.

SEL

Visit site
I was on livery with a horse that survived - awful muscle loss but he pulled through after a very quick thinking vet realised what was wrong with him. He was discharged to our yard because he couldn't return to where he'd got ill.

He was back out jumping within 6 months.

I really, really hope your friend's horse pulls through. This weather must have caused seeds to germinate early.

hock

Visit site
Mine was assumed to have it, but too far from any hospital to transport.
He was supported at home and recovered, but did suffer toxic laminitis in all four feet as a result.
He was very well looked after and made a full recovery, and went back to competing. He's retired now.
It will be 10 years this year.

Was heart wrenching and twice we almost made the decision to pts. We had a great team behind us.
My goodness I’m so happy he pulled through! Thank you so much for replying!

hock

Visit site
I was on livery with a horse that survived - awful muscle loss but he pulled through after a very quick thinking vet realised what was wrong with him. He was discharged to our yard because he couldn't return to where he'd got ill.

He was back out jumping within 6 months.

I really, really hope your friend's horse pulls through. This weather must have caused seeds to germinate early.
I’m so glad this horse pulled through and thank you for replying I’m going to show her the thread as she’s going out of her head right now.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Mine was also assumed to have it, foundered in all four, three months box rest, Imprint shoes, then heart bars. Came right in the end but as he was very green when it happened (was only five years old) I never managed to get him going consistently again. Five years later he tested positive for PSSM and after a vet visit was assessed as never being able to be ridden again. As we had not long moved house to a place with land and the ground was ex dairy land, there were no stables, and he was gaining weight living out, clipped, naked, muzzled, in the winter, on just grass, there was no way to exercise him, and he refused to travel my only option was to pts, which happened four years ago today.

He had made a full recovery and if I’d been able to keep him in work and on poorer ground/restricted grass he might have made it, but there were just too many complexities.

Others who have been in a similar situation to me have said they wished they had pts earlier, rather than spending months or years trying to get the horse right.

I wish your friend well, I miss my lovely boy so very much, but I don’t miss the five years of stress between it happening and him passing.

maya2008

Visit site
Good luck. We lost one last year. By the time we got him to hospital his muscle enzymes were so high they said there was no chance, so we pts. It’s all about how much they ate and how genetically susceptible they are. Other horses in the same field fine.

I really hope yours pulls through.

asmp

Visit site
A young little cob at my yard got it. He wasn’t right for a few days before the vet was called. He spent 5 days at the vets but came home. He was seemed to make a full recovery and was sold about a year later.

Marigold4

Visit site
Advise, happy ending stories, prayers please.

A very dear friend of mine had just lost her beloved horse in 24 hours and her other horse has just been taken in to hospital.

Bloods confirmed and the second horse was in the clinic within 90 minutes and is so far doing well.

HHO please pray and anyone who can offer any advice pls help, we are desperate.
I'm confused. Is this about atypical myopathy or sycamore poisoning? Are they one and them same nowadays?

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Whereabouts in the country are you OP? We didn’t start getting seedlings popping up until April last year so February seems horribly early. I really hope your friend’s horse pulls through.

hock

Visit site
Mine was also assumed to have it, foundered in all four, three months box rest, Imprint shoes, then heart bars. Came right in the end but as he was very green when it happened (was only five years old) I never managed to get him going consistently again. Five years later he tested positive for PSSM and after a vet visit was assessed as never being able to be ridden again. As we had not long moved house to a place with land and the ground was ex dairy land, there were no stables, and he was gaining weight living out, clipped, naked, muzzled, in the winter, on just grass, there was no way to exercise him, and he refused to travel my only option was to pts, which happened four years ago today.

He had made a full recovery and if I’d been able to keep him in work and on poorer ground/restricted grass he might have made it, but there were just too many complexities.

Others who have been in a similar situation to me have said they wished they had pts earlier, rather than spending months or years trying to get the horse right.

I wish your friend well, I miss my lovely boy so very much, but I don’t miss the five years of stress between it happening and him passing.
Oh my goodness I am so very sorry. Not AM related but I had my mare PTS last year as she had severe asthma and couldn’t be ridden for exercise and was facing a life of restricted grazing and masks for life. It would have been a horrendous life for her.

You’ve had the long good bye and the stress and worry of it constantly being on your mind until you reached your decision. I can’t imagine how terrible that must have been.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, my friend is a very sensible practical lady and I know she will find this helpful.

hock

Visit site
Good luck. We lost one last year. By the time we got him to hospital his muscle enzymes were so high they said there was no chance, so we pts. It’s all about how much they ate and how genetically susceptible they are. Other horses in the same field fine.

I really hope yours pulls through.
Many thanks! The mare is a very fiesty Welsh mare, who is very fit and young. Fingers crossed she can fight it off and still have quality of life!

hock

Visit site
Any update @hock ?🤞
Over night she was told no news is good news and we’ve had no calls. Just waiting on this mornings update and they will call after she’s been assessed. It’s so difficult to wait.

Thank you so much for the replies and the advice. The information will help her make an informed choice if the time comes. HHO is my go to for the vast amount of advise and experience. So thank you.

Just to add the mares hadn’t been turned out since Wednesday due to the awful weather we’ve had in Derbyshire, so only had hay no grass. Both horses are very fit hacking 5km+ 6 days a week.

Ricedance

Visit site
I know of two cases, one approx 10 years ago who didn’t make it but I’m not sure of how long it was before hospitalisation etc. the second was a couple of years ago, youngster straight in to excellent vets and made a full recovery, now out jumping/competing

Goldenstar

Visit site
There are seedlings everywhere I am just waiting to move mine to a new field where there loads of grass I just a break in the weather . I was seeing hundreds in the flower bed in front of the other house it’s warmer there than here they will be up here soon the deer eat most of ours and I mow round the trees .
I am sorry for OP’s friend it’s one of my worse horse nightmares AM .

expanding_horizon

Visit site
There are seedlings everywhere I am just waiting to move mine to a new field where there loads of grass I just a break in the weather . I was seeing hundreds in the flower bed in front of the other house it’s warmer there than here they will be up here soon the deer eat most of ours and I mow round the trees .
I am sorry for OP’s friend it’s one of my worse horse nightmares AM .

I have seedlings. Not that many though seem to be growing fast. I moved in start July to long grass snd lots of seedlings that I pulled. Trying to keep on top of them as come through this year. Though not too many yet. Worst in any area with little grass. I feed adlib Hayiage in field which hopefully slightly helps.

maya2008

Visit site
Ours have started coming through in the patch I know to check for them. We have that area fenced off, so plan to wait until they stop coming, then mow (and collect) for safety before using it.

SO1

Visit site
The reason I am on the yard I am on now is that it is sycamore free. In 2013 on my old yard a youngster got sycamore poisoning and died and I moved Homey the next day as I was worried.

There had been horses on the land for decades without any problems and there was a lot of sycamore all the other horses in the field were fine, only one had symptoms and was hospitalised.

A few days before the youngster died I was saying to another livery I was worred about the sycamore and nobody else was. This was back in 2013 when it was less know about the poisoning.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
The reason I am on the yard I am on now is that it is sycamore free. In 2013 on my old yard a youngster got sycamore poisoning and died and I moved Homey the next day as I was worried.

There had been horses on the land for decades without any problems and there was a lot of sycamore all the other horses in the field were fine, only one had symptoms and was hospitalised.

A few days before the youngster died I was saying to another livery I was worred about the sycamore and nobody else was. This was back in 2013 when it was less know about the poisoning.
I’m in a very horsey area surrounded by sycamore trees. I chose to manage risk as best I can. One horse got very sick 5 or so years ago, nothing since, and many don’t manage seeds / seedlings at all. But fully aware only takes one incidence to accidentally eat one seed / seedling with high toxicity to lose a horse / make very sick.

I’m very careful with pulling seedlings, picking up seeds, feeding Haylage and looking out for seeds, and have good sycamore free grass in same field. I don’t really have enough land to fence off unless had sudden influx and was a last resort. Most fall on one side of my track around perimeter of field where is little grass but hopefully horses not grazing.

Surbie

Visit site
Glad that you've had some good news - I hope your friend's mare keeps improving.

We have seedlings popping up a good 100m from the trees at one place I volunteer at. I really need to get out to my own field to check as we have sycamores on the boundary. Fortunately the prevailing wind blows most out of the field, but that doesn't mean we are risk free. I certainly don't want to slip into being complacent.

hock

Visit site
A super update, we are dancing and celebrating in the isles with relief!

No drips over night
Vitals fine
Ck normal 370 with no dilution required
AST 1467 with dilution but they very happy
She can come home tomorrow 🥳🥳

Thank you for all the advice and prayers. What’s the collective noun for a group of legends? Xx