Aubiose Bedding? Or Wood Pellets?

sjp1

Visit site
My lad is PSSM and is stabled during the winter at night but has a corral off his stable. I am looking for a bedding that isn't going to be blown about like shavings so was thinking about aubiose? He is quite a tidy boy and oddly seems tidier since he has moved stables and has the back door out into the corral. I did put my appy on wood pellets - I wasn't that impressed with them but maybe the wrong wood pellets and he was a bit of a bed trasher anyway! I used the Verdo and didn't really like them.

hobo

Visit site
Aubiose all the way for me. It is very stable in the stable! I also use the second hand bedding in my field shelters when I freshen up the stables once a year. If starting fresh just remember to water it in before first use, which always seems bonkers but it works.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've used both, bag of wood pellets in the wee spot and either aubiose or miscanthus on top. Did use rape straw too but that is more prone to moving about.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I changed DP over to Aubiose recently and love it. Very economical and makes a nice firm bed which always looks clean. I do however have my other pony on wood pellets over a deep straw bed and love that just as much. Both very easy to skip out daily with a weekly dig out to refresh.

sjp1

Visit site
Am still umming and aahing really!! Aubiose is nearly three times the price of wood pellets but a firm clean bed is what I am after. Perhaps a combination would be the best way forward.

honetpot

Visit site
I used Aubiose for years, and if you deep litter its not that expensive, once its packed down it doesn't move. My stables were once flooded to a depth of six inches, instead of throwing it away I piled in a heap so it drained and put it back down, with a dry bale on top. It also rots down very quickly, I used to empty the stable straight on to the garden. Wood pellets are absorbent but can be dusty, I use them as a mop in a straw bed in the pee spot, it stops the nasty smell. The plus side is they are cheap and easy to get hold of.