Autmoatic Waterers:Install or not to install?

More important in livery yard

• Total voters

Chex

Visit site
They had them at one yard I was on, they were always filthy and a pain to clean, I ended up using water buckets anyway. But I guess they're probably better made now. YO bought some that the horse has to press to get the water, not sure Chex would figure that out though!

RobinHood

Visit site
We had drinkers installed about 6 months ago and they are so fantastic I don't know how I survived without them. No more buckets kicked over in stables so you know they always have water and the beds don't get soaked. They are the size of a water bucket (14 litres) and to clean it out I just take the lid off, hold the ballcock up, stick the bucket underneath and pull the plug out. Easy peasy. The horses prefer them to buckets because the water stays cooler.

The thing I like the most is that if I have to leave a horse in for the farrier or someone else brings my horse in I don't have to worry about said person not doing water.

miamibear

Visit site
We have them and they are brill. My only suggestion would be not to install them near their haynets / hay feeding space because my horse messes in his, Soaks his hay himself and splashes it allover. In this case if i was to have buckets at the other end of the stable it would be much cleaner as im going through shavings soaking it up.

I would reccomend them just think properly about where you put them.

I am getting YO to move mine further away from his hay!