Auto-immune diseases

croissant

Visit site
Not sure if this is allowed, I've posted this in veterinary as well but thought I'd put it in here for traffic!

My horse has recently been diagnosed with idiopathic systemic granulomatous disease or sarcoidosis, in her lymph nodes. I posted about it a few days ago but unsurprisingly only got one reply. It is rare and the vet has never seen it before.

I am waiting for blood results which will tell us if it is limited to her lymph nodes or whether it is present in other organs. In a few days we should know what to treat her with too.

The vet expects her to need a strong dose of steroids or immunosuppressants for 6 months before we can reduce it and see what happens. She is my first horse, I have had her for 3 months and I am finding the whole process quite daunting, as well as being absolutely gutted.

While no auto-immune disease is going to be the same I just wanted to hear any experiences, particularly of long-term treatment, that may give me an idea of what to expect.
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?704688-Auto-immune-diseases#2gHEfqb6RxCBok0b.99

Cobbytype

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear your new horse is so poorly.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of sarcoidosis, but I had a horse with an auto-immune disorder called Polyneuritis Equi (it's similar to MS in humans). He was diagnosed in 2010 and was very ill at that time with bowel, bladder and tail paralysis. He wasn't expected to live, but with careful management he made a pretty good recovery, regaining bowel and bladder sensation, until the illness 'came back' (it never really went away, it just laid dormant for a time) last year. Unfortunately the disease progressed to his back legs, so he couldn't be saved this time.

So sorry I can't offer you a happy ever after with regards to my horse, but he had 4 good years more than expected by the vets.

Wishing you and your horse well - I hope you get some answers that are more informative than mine.

croissant

Visit site
I should point out that she is well in herself, the only symptom is swollen lymph nodes under her chin and I debated getting the vet out in the first place. Now got rather more than I bargained for! I just hope that as she is not actually sick yet we have caught it early and we can knock it on the head.