auto towing car recommendations

guspot

New User
Visit site
After some advice! Got a budget of about £12k. I need a new towing vehicle.
i have a 400 kilo 14 3hh arab and will only be towing solo, but I do live at 1,000ft so need something that can cope with hills.
It also has to be automatic (nerve damage in left leg from spinal op), and it has to have a good boot for my two dogs.
This will be my only vehicle so will be used every day although not for commuting as I work from home.
I was looking at the Santa Fe but also wondering about the Freelander or perhaps the Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4 auto. All of them can tow 2,000 kilos which I think should be enough.

I haven't bought a trailer yet and again I'm umming and ahhing. I was thinking about a lightweight but then we took my boy on a trip last weekend in a friend's trailer down the M4. I was so glad he was in their Ifor Williams 510 watching the lorries going past him!! My advice is never go in a separate vehicle to your horse - my heart was in my mouth the whole time even though their driving was impeccable!!!

So probably will get an IW505 as he's only a small chap - that would give me a total weight of just under 1,400 kilos and 600 kilos spare.

Only other wants would be cup holders and really good visibility out the back as hate small slitty back windows - I can't see out and nor can the dogs!!

what do people think?? Any advice. I'm old enough not to need a trailer test!!

pxx

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The auto Skoda Octavia Scout 4x4, although more powerful than the manual at 180 bhp cf 150bhp, somewhat oddly has a lower tow limit of 1800kg cf 2000kg (current models).

It should still do your job very well, though. I have the manual Scout, it's utterly brilliant, very comfortable and surefooted. It beetles over the tricky cross Pennine routes like its on rails, and it has cupholders!! Good motorway car, too.

ROG

Visit site
B+E licence = yes so no worries there
Just towing capacity to consider
Perhaps a single trailer to keep weight down .........

Skoda Octavia 4x4 diesel with a Bateson Derby trailer + 400 pony = 1100 weight to be towed

Last edited:

soloequestrian

Visit site
I love my auto Freelander 2 and it has cup holders in the central thingy. Tows an Ifor 510 and 600kg horse. We haven't done any steep hills but it barely feels the trailer so can't imagine it will be an issue.

guspot

New User
Visit site
ooh thank you, although the lower towing of the Skoda surprised me! Despite that it could be a good choice as I've got a GSD x who's like a massive woolly rug and a jack russell x who gets a bit squashed by him if the boot is too small!!

Would a single trailer be sturdy enough to take on a motorway??

pxx

fishy

Visit site
How about a Ford Kuga? I tow a Bateson deauville (about 860kg) and a cob (about 500kg) easily. I believe the new model has a lower towing capacity but mine was 2500kg. Great to drive and definitely room for dogs! X

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
What about the mare and foal trailers, if they're still available.

Used one a couple of years ago and it was nice as horse had pleanty of room and, from my possibly paranoid pov, it felt steadier than the only single trailer I've ever towed.

sunnyone

Visit site
Have you thought about a Mitsubishi Outlander, they come in diesel automatic, tow 2 tons and have selective 4wd. A 2010 low mileage, good condition one will easily be in your price bracket. Has lots of goodies too as standard including rear view camera.
We're very pleased with ours and took it down through the Pyrenees, and back, earlier this month with no hint of any issues.

Derfette

Visit site
I had an auto Freelander and used it to tow a 14.3 arab of a very similar weight in a 505 too. Was a fantastic towing vehicle and coped brilliantly! I also found having an auto made towing so much easier and more enjoyable :)

guspot

New User
Visit site
wow thank you everyone!! Hadn't thought of an Outlander!

And good to know about single trailers being sturdy - watching some of those huge lorries passing my little chap in the trailer made my heart stop!!

px