Automatic 4X4s, mainly jeep, do they.......

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Drink fuel when used as an everyday car, i know the would when towing but as we doint go out much at the moment thats not really a worry.

I need a good towing car that will match my 2.2TDI Frontera as I have finally come to the conclusion it has to go :(

so people I need your wisdom.

Cookies and Tea for answers:D

Leg_end

Visit site
I had a Jeep Cherokee 2.8TD and it was awesome for towing! I do a lot of driving as part of my job as it wasn't THAT bad.. think we averaged about 35MPG. I know the new one they have does up to 47MPG so it may be better with a newer spec'd model.

ash493

Visit site
I have a Kia Sorrento - good tow car but also good on fuel econcomy and tax (low emissions). Looks good too and not as expensive to buy as others

Luci07

Visit site
Or look at the cost of an LPG conversion or buy one that has it...changes the whole story on mpg!! My automatic jeep is brilliant for towing but next one will have the LPG on it

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thanks, i have a max of £5000 to spend not including what i could get part ex for the frontera.

I have a HB510 trailer and would tow max two horses at around 480kg and 420kg, a 16hh wb and 15.2 appy that would be on odd occasions tho normally it just tows either the appy or the welsh d.

the hunt continues......:cool:

Sticker

Visit site
Yes! I had an automatic Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD LTD. Had to sell as it was costing me £££££ to run to work every day, averaging 20-25 mpg in town :eek: Expensive to tax & insure too.

Lovely to drive though, if you can afford it :D

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Yes! I had an automatic Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD LTD. Had to sell as it was costing me £££££ to run to work every day, averaging 20-25 mpg in town :eek: Expensive to tax & insure too.

Lovely to drive though, if you can afford it :D

well thats me out, the insurance is a joke:mad: might just have to only take one pony out at a time and downgrade car type:mad:

ROG

Visit site
Thanks, i have a max of £5000 to spend not including what i could get part ex for the frontera.

I have a HB510 trailer and would tow max two horses at around 480kg and 420kg, a 16hh wb and 15.2 appy that would be on odd occasions tho normally it just tows either the appy or the welsh d.

the hunt continues......:cool:
You obviously have a B+E licence so your only concern is the towing capacity where the weights are concerned

I would think you could get away with a 2000 kg towing capacity so perhaps a smaller 4X4 will do - perhaps a Xtrail ?

Sticker

Visit site
well thats me out, the insurance is a joke:mad:

Yup, def not cheap! We run a lorry now rather than a trailer, and just have a battered little run around for the week. Works out cheaper than running the Jeep every day, which is crazy!

Good luck with your hunt, I feel your pain :(

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
You obviously have a B+E licence so your only concern is the towing capacity where the weights are concerned

I would think you could get away with a 2000 kg towing capacity so perhaps a smaller 4X4 will do - perhaps a Xtrail ?

I haven't passed my trailer test yet but dad tows for me, it will be my car as the Frontera is mine too, as he is a HVG Class1 driver he has been taking me and my sister out and helping us with getting used to towing untill i can afford to go the test.

I was looking at the xtrail but wasnt sure on the wieghts........Thats why I'm so glad you are here:D

ROG

Visit site
HB510 is 1000 unladen/empty (with a 2584 MAM)
Your horses combined are 900 kgs
That totals 1900 kgs
Nissan Xtrails are between 1350 and 2200 towing capacity depending on model

If you think that might be a bit tight on weight then go for something else with a 2400+ towing capacity

Keep up the B+E provisional towing with DAD because the more confident you are the easier the test will be
Reversing and un/hitching should be second nature soon so just the way that the DSA want you to drive will be the only hurdle
PS - do the oil water tyres etc easy maintenance on that vehicle so that also becomes second nature - questions get asked on test

GinaGeo

Visit site
We use an automatic Grand Cherokee S-reg for towing. It tows brilliantly, but wouln't want to use it as an everyday car. It'd bankrupt you!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
HB510 is 1000 unladen/empty (with a 2584 MAM)
Your horses combined are 900 kgs
That totals 1900 kgs
Nissan Xtrails are between 1350 and 2200 towing capacity depending on model

If you think that might be a bit tight on weight then go for something else with a 2400+ towing capacity

Keep up the B+E provisional towing with DAD because the more confident you are the easier the test will be
Reversing and un/hitching should be second nature soon so just the way that the DSA want you to drive will be the only hurdle
PS - do the oil water tyres etc easy maintenance on that vehicle so that also becomes second nature - questions get asked on test

Thanks.....dad is also a machanic so he has drilled it into us since we were young how to change/check oil/water etc:D towing the horse trailer is alot easier than towing the little trailer with only a wheel each side and not as wide as the frontera and the only way you new it was there was the hay out the back window :D you turnt the steering wheel an inche and the little trailer moved a mile.

What would be the options in the 2400kgs and size of engines? Dad is working all day or I'd be nagging him:D

Beans1

Visit site
My Ford Maverick has been a trooper, its 3ltr so plenty of grunt for towing, but has an LPG conversion so not expensive to run. LPG conversions are also cheaper on tax and my insurance is definitely very reasonable. Nice thing about it is it has all the extras for day to day being automatic, having air con, cruise control, electric windows, central locking etc, so its comfortable for day to day use.

I no longer need a towing vehicle so am possibly going to sell, but am also tempted not too!

Jnhuk

Visit site
We use an automatic Grand Cherokee S-reg for towing. It tows brilliantly, but wouln't want to use it as an everyday car. It'd bankrupt you!

Second this!

We have a W reg grand cherokee automatic and whilst it tows brilliantly, it costs a lot to maintain and run. Would hate to use it as my everyday car with the £££££ it would cost!

topstripelucy

Visit site
Plainly speaking YES well the petrol version.

I owned a Jeep Cherokee 3.7 automatic petrol as my towing car and normal everyday car. It cost me a fortune to run...and this was before the petrol rises.

I ended up buying a 7.5t lorry (P reg) lorry and a clio as a runaround car and we are quids in. Lorry only costs me £160 tax £90 MOT £280 insurance and put £50 of diesel in and lasts me at least 3 months! My clio fills up on £50 and lasts me about 3 weeks! Bargain!

On the positive side I did love it as a car, I had the special edition, leather seats etc and it was just gorgeous and really FAB to tow especially being automatic you did not have to worry about gears when hitting a junction...would def get another automatic if ever go back to a trailer!!!

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
We've got a Jeep Cherokee Sport 2.5 diesel and on a decent run average around 30 miles to the gallon. Towing doesn't seem to affect the economy if its on decent A roads. It tows like a beast and we've been really pleased with it. Its a bit agricultural to drive but the tax wasn't too horrific (I think when you go above 2.5l it starts to get a bit ridiculous) and insurance wasn't all that bad. And it doesn't take up as much room on the drive as a Discovery would, even though the tow capacity is huge (probably because its made out of pig iron and girders so weighs plenty!).

smiffyimp

Visit site
I had a Jeep Cherokee 2.8TD and it was awesome for towing! I do a lot of driving as part of my job as it wasn't THAT bad.. think we averaged about 35MPG. I know the new one they have does up to 47MPG so it may be better with a newer spec'd model.

we have a 2005 jeep and it is great, brill tower not too bad on diesel. bought for less than £5000 (easily) had a few miles on the clock, but who cares!

Flashpaddler

Visit site
In April I bought a Jeep Commander 3 litre diesel on a 56 plate. This is a big 4x4 with 7 forward facing seats. The engine is Mercedes and they are built in Austria. It's not hugely economical but better than I expected. If gentle, I can get 30mpg. However, I don't use it daily and for local trips we use my wife's city car which does 60mpg+. The Jeep has 220bhp so it tows like a tractor. I've had 2 big horses behind and you can barely tell they are there!

We chose the Commander because of price - we needed a big towing capacity and they are one third the cost of a Disco. Ours was less than £8K, below average miles, one owner, FSH etc for that money. They also come "fully loaded" as standard with leather, cruise, memory & heated seats etc etc. Not that good looking but fantastic to drive, very capable off road, brilliant at towing and affordable.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

Didn't know I could tow with an X trail: this would make me happy! As I passed my test quite some years ago, I guess I can tow.

We had a V8 Grand Cherokee LPG, so good economy on fuel, but it would still drink the stuff! The LPG system was old fashioned and forever in need of servicing. A decent conversion would set you back about £1800.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Well I have a T reg Jeep 4.7 auto petrol sat in front of my house,failed it's mot 2 weeks ago, have had it for several years and have hated the b*gger, want the OH to take it for scrap but he won't as it doesn't need much doing to it. He did buy me a Land Rover discovery td5 diesel manual last week and we are fighting over who get's to drive it. Love it:D:D:D

Echo Bravo

Visit site
It's a Grand Cherokee Limited Edition and was costing over £60 petrol a week or more:(:(:(It's was the drivers seat going backwards when you switched off that got me as you had to reset when you got back in and all the fancy doda's.

firm

www.blacklaw-stud.com
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it, leather seats etc and very reliable. It tows two big horses easily. It is one of the newer models that still sneaks into the cheaper tax bracket. The cut off date is sometime June 2006 I think. Maybe it does cost more to run than an equivalent Disco but the cost to buy is much cheaper than Disco. It would take a lot of mileage to make up the difference

Cluny

Visit site
I have a 56 plate CRD Limited Jeep Grand Cherokee (3 litre diesel Mercedes engine) and I love it, it tows like a dream and gives a fab smooth ride, it also does 0-60 mph in 10.7 secs, so rather speedy.

I use it as my every day vehicle and it is not economic on fuel (average 24 mpg) NFU quoted us an extortionate amount to insure it so went to Direct Line who were far more reasonable!