Average cost of a share/part loan

Jasper151

Visit site
What is a reasonable cost for a share/part loan? I tend to see an average of around £10 per day, but does this differ depending on type of livery? £10 a day for full livery is a much better deal than £10 a day plus chores for someone on DIY.

For example, a older horse on 5 day livery, isn't a show stopper, general hacker but not a novice ride, does a bit of schooling but no jumping. Needs to be bought back into fitness, what would the going rate be?

Antw23uk

Visit site
The going rate is whatever the owner thinks it is and/or what the new sharer is willing to pay. Personally when looking for a sharer I opt for them to cover the shoe costs every six weeks instead of a 'daily' amount but I have my horses at home so livery isnt a charge I have to deal with. When I was on livery I think from memory I charged my sharer £100 a month (I really cant remember to be honest) but that was for a big sane sensible sports horse for hacking, light schooling and a bit of jumping. The horse was on part livery so she mucked out, hay, watered on 'her' days (two days a week if i remember and no shoes costs involved)

Merlod

Visit site
Generally speaking usually half of livery and half shoes combined. If on part/ full the higher price negates the chores, and DIY the loaner does the chores of their "days".

Shay

Visit site
It varies so much - both in terms of what is offered and in the local prices. As A has said - it come down to what people are willing to pay. I worked out how much it actually cost me to keep my daughter's PC Competition pony per day and charged that (although that was a few years ago now and I suspect he is actually more expensive now..). At £25 per day plus chores it is on the high end - but I'm offering a top notch pony club competition pony on a good quality yard on the London side of Surrey, transport included and the opportunity to hunt in the winter - so there is quite a lot there. I'm fussy about parent involvement and experience - and I always have waiting list. But I know that is unusual. Others on yard sharing horses with adults charge in the range £10 - £20 a day. Our livery costs are quite high though.

Farma

Visit site
Average seems to be £10 a day plus chores where I am, only more if the horse is on full livery or is a superstar of a horse that someone can learn from and compete etc.

Buck-a-roo

Visit site
Have seen lots of share arrangements, some free as an experienced rider bringing on a horse (works both ways as schooling/exercise also provided free for owner), others with financial contribution of up to around £150 per month. I think even a bit more is fair, especially as many owners are wonderful and really share opportunities, so sharers often get a great deal.

There is an ad on H&H at the moment where owner is asking around £800 per month for a share though (not full loan!) Lovely horse and lovely situation by the sounds of it, but competing at elem so not out of this world as many horses I've been involved with for 0-£100 a month were competing elem!

Last edited:

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Have seen lots of share arrangements, some free as an experienced rider bringing on a horse (works both ways as schooling/exercise also provided free for owner), others with financial contribution of up to around £150 per month. I think even a bit more is fair, especially as many owners are wonderful and really share opportunities, so sharers often get a great deal.

There is an ad on H&H at the moment where owner is asking around £800 per month for a share though (not full loan!) Lovely horse and lovely situation by the sounds of it, but competing at elem so not out of this world as many horses I've been involved with for 0-£100 a month were competing elem!

I don't think horse competing at a higher level tend to get that much of a premium as the riders that you would want tend to be capable enough can often pick n choose between available horses.

Buck-a-roo

Visit site
I know what you mean Vodkagirly but if for example someone had a superstar schoolmaster competing at say advanced medium, with opportunities to compete, I'd expect to pay more than for a typical share

For £800 though I could keep my own on part livery somewhere very nice, or have two-three schoolmaster lessons per week instead!