average price for all-rounder

harryo'brien

New User
Visit site
There was a thread a few days back asking what the most was people on the forum had paid for a horse.

It struck me that most people paid significantly less than the majority of adverts in say H&H and Horse Deals.

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a good all-rounder? I am looking to buy perhaps an Irish Sport Horse (probably about 10 years old) in the next couple of years and was just wondering what sort of price I should be viewing at.

Thanks

flirtygerty

Visit site
There's no such thing as an 'average' price, we paid £500 for the best allrounder going, £2,000 for my trotter X another good all-rounder, £400 for a companion who turned out to be another all-rounder and we have a 3yr old who is progressing nicely, £800 and was gifted back another all-rounder I sold two years ago £00 00, the only common denominator is that they are all good all-rounders

harryo'brien

New User
Visit site
I'm not really aiming at competing, but I would like at least 16.2 hh.

My point is that most horses on H&H are in the £5000-£10,000 region, but most people seem to spend around the £1,000 mark?

debbien

Visit site
I look on the websites of reputable localish dealers, they usually have the market right, they know what they can sell the horses at. At the moment around 3 to 4k would give you a wide choice of decent all rounder. There do seem to be "tiers" tho, Horses that sound identical, one at say £2500 and the other at £5500.

Grinchmass

Visit site
I paid 1k for my all rounder, but knew the seller, she wasn't advertised, and she just wanted a good home. She's 10, 15hh, but chunky ( and let's face it I'm not the tallest person in the world, but at 5"6 I don't look too big on her) and she came with a saddle. If I was looking at adverts I'd expect to pat at least double for an all rounder or be prepared to put some work in to turn them into all rounders.

TGM

Visit site
Depends on your definition of a good all-rounder. We have a horse who is I would call a good all-rounder - he will lead over the most formidable hedges out hunting one weekend, and go out and win dressage tests the following one. He has been on all RC and PC teams, competing and being placed at national championships, been very successful in his first season BE, been to PC camp, happily performed in a musical ride, hacks out safely alone, in company and in traffic. Obviously, if he was for sale we would be looking for a lot more than £1000!

However, as you say you don't want to compete, it sounds like you want something more low key. Do you want to jump and/or hunt? Do sponsored rides? Or mainly just hack? Does the horse have to work nicely on the flat even if you are not competing? All these things will make a big difference to the price.

The reason that the horses advertised in H&H are more expensive than people have said they paid on here is two-fold. Firstly, those who have paid higher prices for horses are likely to be more reticent about declaring what they paid on a forum, secondly, the horses in H&H tend to be the higher end of the spectrum and have done some competing. Horses advertised in local papers, and cheaper ad sites are likely to be less expensive.

khalswitz

Visit site
Depends on your definition of a good all-rounder. We have a horse who is I would call a good all-rounder - he will lead over the most formidable hedges out hunting one weekend, and go out and win dressage tests the following one. He has been on all RC and PC teams, competing and being placed at national championships, been very successful in his first season BE, been to PC camp, happily performed in a musical ride, hacks out safely alone, in company and in traffic. Obviously, if he was for sale we would be looking for a lot more than £1000!

However, as you say you don't want to compete, it sounds like you want something more low key. Do you want to jump and/or hunt? Do sponsored rides? Or mainly just hack? Does the horse have to work nicely on the flat even if you are not competing? All these things will make a big difference to the price.

The reason that the horses advertised in H&H are more expensive than people have said they paid on here is two-fold. Firstly, those who have paid higher prices for horses are likely to be more reticent about declaring what they paid on a forum, secondly, the horses in H&H tend to be the higher end of the spectrum and have done some competing. Horses advertised in local papers, and cheaper ad sites are likely to be less expensive.

This.

Plus the thread about how little people paid? A lot of the 'cheap' horses would need a bit of work. Not necessarily lots, but at least a little - they could be green, they might not be just spot on either on the flat or jumping, need to be taught to hack alone... if buying an already there all rounder you would be looking to pay more.

I got my last schoolmaster for nothing, but he had his issues - he was tricky to handle and manage, prone to injuries, history of hock arthritis. I was lucky he turned out very well for me. Comparatively, I spent £1.5k on the current one, who was an exracer with no retraining... really he was over my budget but I wanted him and the seller wouldn't budge, so here we are.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Rather than the more expensive pay to advertise sites you, OP, mention, look at free to advertise site www.preloved.co.uk.
Huge range of horses, prices and areas to visit.
I have had far more success on there too, than on the main pay to advertise sites.
If you only want to hack and maybe do occasional competition, you will possibly find something you want for under £1000, maybe considerably less.

webble

Visit site
I'm not really aiming at competing, but I would like at least 16.2 hh.

My point is that most horses on H&H are in the £5000-£10,000 region, but most people seem to spend around the £1,000 mark?

I think H&H has the med to higher end of horse advertised. I iimagne its a bit more expensive than adverrtising locally so you would be more likely to use it to advertise a moree expensive horse.

I would also say that one persons definition of all rounder can be completely different to anothers

Bluecat

Visit site
Omg I don't know where people get these cheaper horses from I'd find it difficult to find a safe all rounder that's done riding club for under 5k!

Holding

Visit site
Omg I don't know where people get these cheaper horses from I'd find it difficult to find a safe all rounder that's done riding club for under 5k!

This. I'd say a budget of 4k would be sensible for a safe, easy all-rounder who would happily do all riding club level stuff but isn't going to set the world on fire. I would be looking at those in the region of 5k with a view to making an offer.

hnmisty

Visit site
I paid £2600 for an 8y/o 16.1hh TB gelding (with tack), ex-P2P who had done quite a lot of SJ and XC with his old owner. He's since turned 9 and been diagnosed with mild arthritis in one coffin joint, but the vet is hopeful he can return to doing exactly what I want with him. He isn't exactly what I thought I was getting, but tbh I think that's because I need to trust him more, and realise that most horses aren't going to be as perfectly behaved as my old girl was!

I found him on HorseDeals.

SadKen

Visit site
I bought my girl from an ad on Preloved. She was up for £4.5k but I got her for £3.3k in the end after her price was reduced a couple of times. It was luck that I found the ad, she wasn't well advertised at all (yesss).

She's what I'd say is a true all rounder - she works beautifully in an outline, she LOVES to jump (and will go big, when I'm ready! She has county show WHP placings). She will hack out on her own (although I am very bad at this, she was perfect on test and I'm quite nervous). She's an angel to handle, clip, rug, feet, the lot.

I wanted a smaller one though - couldn't find anything around 15hh so went down to 14.2hh for her as she's quite chunky and I'm short.

I think if you wanted a 16.2hh you'd have more choice, but if you genuinely want a really good horse that comes almost ready made, you'll need to pay around £5k. If you're prepared to do some work and buy a younger one, it'll be less. Having tried the latter, I'm very much a fan of the former but that's due to my riding ability these days! Ex racers should be able to do most things from an all-rounder perspective, and they are very reasonably priced. Just gotta find a good 'un!

Julia0803

Visit site
I paid 3650 for my dream pony with a near complete wardrobe, in September and i think he was an absolute steal!!

He is a 14.2 7 year old cob. He had done all PC activities with his previous teenage owner- SJ, DR, XC, being messed about and played with. He is the nicest, easiest boy to handle and is a complete confidence giver. He hacks alone and in co and is bombproof in traffic. He can be a tiny bit kooky on his own, but with a pat and a kind word he tries for you, and every time we go out alone he just gets better- we have been out 3 times on our own now, so early days, I really don't think it will be an issue once he has done it a few more times.

He is so well mannered and kind, he is a mum/son share and is a gentleman for my novice 10 year old to handle and do. He had his confidence knocked with our previous loan pony but is regaining it by the bucket load. They did their D+ test at PC together within 3 weeks of having him, he took him PC jumping at 50/60cm in a big indoor school over half term, got dressed up and placed in the PC fancy dress competition. He hacks with me in the week. I took him XC last week. My first proper go at it. He was amazing. Mannerly but keen. We flew over everything i pointed him at inc, jumping in and out of water, up and down steps and banks as well as ditches. We jumped a huge tree that was just over a meter. If you had told me that I would have had the confidence to do that a few months ago I would have laughed at you.

I am hoping we never have to sell him. I just adore him. :D

HBrae2

Visit site
I have a fabby all rounder. Totally safe, does well in prelim dressage (hopefully will go higher, he's just started out with it), jumps, shows, hacks alone and in company, is well mannered, kind, affectionate and suitable for a complete beginner or a more experienced rider. He does all riding club activities and is exactly the same away from home. I wouldn't sell him as it's taken me a good while to get one like him but I would be looking at well over £3.5k to replace him and probably a lot more!!! (he's only 14.1hh!) A good, safe alrounder who comes home with ribbons is in my opinion worth its weight in gold, especially for a riding club / pony club home. Oh and I found him in the back pages of "Horse and Rider" magazine and I wont say what I paid (private sale) :)

Pigeon

Visit site
When we were looking we were expecting to pay £4.5k for the same thing as you. Got one for £2k, allrounder, nice looking, schoolmaster, but he was 13! And it was luck that we came across him. So I would have a budget of £4.5k, and keep an eye out for a bargain.

Last edited:

Lydiamae

Visit site
I don't compete to any high level, but I enjoy local novice jumping, in hand, dressage and fun/sponsored rides and hacks.
I wanted a cob because I find them a lot more versatile and hardy, so I searched on www.preloved.co.uk and found my amazing mare, Dottie. I paid £900. She is a 14.3/15hh, rising 5, medium weight cob and I couldn't ask for a better horse.
She was still slightly green when I purchased her about this time last year because she was rising 4 and only recently broken. A little schooling and here we are today.
Looking at identically advertised horses on H&H, I couldn't have afforded what I have now.

Good luck, I hope you find a lovely horse x

Last edited: