Avoiding back problems (for people!)

LHIS

Visit site
I have noticed I have developed an ache in my lower back when doing my yard jobs, especially obvious when stuffing haynets. Short of sitting on the cold and often wet round to stuff the haynets I don't know how I can alleviate this issue.
What does everyone else do to not knacker themselves? Am I doing it wrong?

Arzada

Visit site
I found that stretching exercises help generally and I'll do a few in particular situations when my back muscles hurt eg when gardening. I go to Pilates classes and they have really helped me. I'm soon going to go to Yoga classes where I hope to benefit from the longer held stretches. I also don't use haynets.

Wheels

Visit site
This can be a result of our own one sidedness - always using forks, shovels, water buckets etc etc in the same hand and mucking out makes us twist because of that.

Stretching can help but I would say if you are getting achy then you might want to see a physio who can help to ease and then think about doing something like pilates to try and strengthen the weaker side or if you are at all ambidextrous start mucking out with the fork on your opposite side to normal

rifruffian

Visit site
You can buy strap-on back supports, they strap around the lower back/waist; wear when you must do work that could hurt the back.

hippocobamus

Visit site
My chiro has given me some simple exercises that only take a couple of minutes a day, to help 'warm' my back up and mobilise it. They're very basic stretches essentially, but surprisingly effective. I go from sitting at a desk to doing the yard work and that change from sedentary to active requires some intervention to prevent issues occurring - or so i've found.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Core strength is your friend avoid back supports as these weaken your back further... get on line and work on a core training program there are loads specifically for back pain on line.

frannieuk

Visit site
I started to get a lot of lower back pain, and my physio recommended stretching through my back and through my hamstrings - if I don't do the stretches, the pain comes back!

Pilatesclare

Visit site
Pilates! Find a dedicated Pilates studio if you can and they should be able to help and make sure you're doing the exercises properly.
Happy to give some basic guidance if you pm me with more details but obviously without seeing you, I can only give basic help.

Jazzmaster

New User
Visit site
Sports therapy is fab. Very focused massage and stretches. I have had a back injury and I tried physio, chiropractor, osteo but this was the only long term solution. Lots I can do at home too. More brutal than physio but if you can manage an hour session it is well worth it.

So good that I'm looking into doing a masters to do human and horse sports therapy.