Avon skin so soft

chaps89

Visit site
So I've seen this recommended as fly spray? (I think) do you just use it as it is or as a base that you add other things to to make it a fly spray?

tatty_v

Visit site
I’ve used it as a human mozzie repellant - I think it works partly due to it being oil based so it creates a film on the skin. Never used it on a horse but would be interested to hear if it works! I have found it difficult to track down in the past and have resorted to eBay.

Green Bean

Visit site
I used it for the first time last year and it really does work. I have had zero success with citronella based products. My horse doesn’t like being sprayed directly so I put some on a sponge and wipe her down in places the fly rug and mask don’t cover

chaps89

Visit site
Ah, thanks everyone. I've always wondered why people use it!
Do you just spray it on and leave it or spray then rub/massage it in?

She does get midges around her teats and swell up quite badly but hates having fly gels etc put there so I might bare it in mind for that if it gets bad but I will definitely patch test first just incase!

C1airey

Visit site
I found it did work on my old boy who had SI - it leaves a bit of a sheen on the coat which makes it difficult for the midges to hold on. I used to use it under his belly as was always a bit concerned that on the topside it might fry him. I did once use a coat sheen/detangler (same principle) when I ran out and tbh, it worked just as well...

Shady

Visit site
I use this every year just on the mane and top of tail and it really works keeping the midges away. The only time I ran out and used a fly spray they got horrible weeping sores at the base of the mane from bites and rubbed chunks out of the tail on the stable door. I don't use it anywhere else on them so can't really say if it would irritate around the sheath etc

spacefaer

Visit site
It worked on Scottish midges when we lived in the Highlands. You haven't been bitten by a midge until you've met a fleet of those little blighters!
We put it on both horse and human - those were the days for hacking in long sleeved shirts, gloves and a midge net over my hat - horrible creatures

PurBee

Visit site
I live in a very midgey place and bought avon s s s yrs ago. It gave me a rash. The ingredients list of chemical additives is eye-watering. I certainly wouldnt use it on an animal.

essential oils mix, like wintergreen, citronella, lavendar, lemon and many others are worth trying. Theyre so powerful as scent, so can be hugely diluted to be safe on skin. Test patch always as animals are so sensitive.

Micky

Visit site
Only works for the head of a horse but I found a few sprigs of bracken stuck in at angles on the browband/ headpiece works wonders for keeping flies away when hacking..looks slightly mad but it works! ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’ve used it for years. My recipe (patch test!) is
150ml ASSS
1 teaspoon neem oil
1 tsp tea tree oil
1 tsp cedarwood oil
1 tsp citronella oil
1 tsp eucalyptus oil
Top up to one litre with cold water
Shake before and during use.
Sounds very strong, probably is, probably why it works.

Re sensitive areas eg udder, chaps89, have you tried Summer flycream? I know you said she doesn’t like stuff being put on there, but could she be de-sensitised? It’s brilliant stuff.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I use liberally on me as fly repellent but would be very expensive if used on a horse - and I think there are better fly repellents. I don't use Deet products on me or my horse and won't use any of the very toxic products - although I think they do the best job. I use either RuggleIt or Hedgewick Essentials Icaridan