Awesome quotes from horsey people....

DragonSlayer

Visit site
What's the best you have heard? You can include one you said yourself (seeing as I have one I said very recently and my sis loves it :p)

So I'll kick off now with my self-indulgent quote....

'....you want a nice all-rounder, not an Olympic wannabe....'...

....(said in relation to sis searching for a nice stallion to put her mare into foal with)

LeneHorse

Visit site
There is one from Kelly Marks about every pony/horse being good at something - pony in question was good at being white! I liked that.
My favourite personal one was said to me the first time I took my girl to dressage " You might not have brakes but remember you do have steering!"

Chavhorse

Visit site
An old instructor of mine when I was getting into a funk;

"You will make mistakes, your horse will make mistakes, as long as you get over them together all will be well"

amandal

Visit site
"use as little as possible, but as much as is necessary" told to me when trying to get my pony to move forward!!:D

Batgirl

Visit site
Not quite on topic but sums up most of my families opinion on horses :)

'They're dangerous at both ends and crafty in the middle!' :D

Buds_mum

Visit site
''Well you didn't have to copy me! Best go catch oss'!''

Feild master out hunting last year when his horse had a paddy dropping him into a ditch, spooking Buddy and me ending up on my a*s :p

Made me laugh which is always good after a fall.

ZondaR

Visit site
The Horse Will Do It.

This is what my YO says to anyone who dithers in front of a jump and looks to him for encouragement. He doesn't tell them it's only small or that they are well able. He just shrugs and says "the horse will do it". There is no response to this, so it puts it back on the rider to decide. If you don't jump, you feel like you're letting the horse down.

mattilda

Visit site
My old instructor used to say of my beloved Hadleigh. Sometimes he is a tractor but today he is a Rolls Royce. Depended whether he was being good or bad. :D

Angelbones

Visit site
"ride it like you stole it"

and a hypnotist who was helping my daughter with her riding nerves told her to repeat to herself "a jump is just another canter stride" and it really helped her at the time

"He has one major conformation fault - the big hole where his brain should be"

and upon questioning the wisdom of the veteran registered blind rider about to head off around the open teamchase championship many years ago, "its alright, the horse knows the way"

Last edited:

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Love this poem:

I talked to a friend just the other day

who’s got lots of opinions and plenty to say.

We discussed what we both like to see in a horse

his requirements and mine were different of course.

He likes a clean throatlatch and a long skinny neck,

and prefers that their hocks are set close to the deck.

Short backs and hard feet and clean slopin’ shoulder,

and a gaskin that looks like it swallered a boulder.

He likes a short face and a big ol’soft eye,

and says these are the horses he’s likely to buy.

And when he’d completed his lengthy discourse,

on all of the attributes of the quality horse,

he asked my opinion, and where do I start?

And I said that I…just want horses with heart.

I said I want heart above all the other.

I don’t care if he’s Smart Little Lena’s full brother.

Or just how much money that his grandmother won,

Or whether he’s roan, palomino or dun.

But give me a horse with some grit and some try,

and some heart and some guts and that’s one that I’ll buy.

Fidgety

Visit site
'Ride the horse you have today'

'Throw your heart over the jump first'

'If you search in enough dustbins, yes you just might find a Rolex that somebody's accidentally thrown away - but it's not likely' (of where best to look for a dressage pone)

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I wrote this on 24 April, 2012, in response to the thread "People who have horses and don't ride": If the visual seduction, aroma, texture, and sheer wonder of these remarkable animals isn't enough, then ride them. But, don't question others' preferences to remain at their sides, not on their backs.

npage123

Visit site
By Mary Robinette Kowal

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

lurcherlu

Visit site
'makes me feel like we could jump the moon' my friends pony feels like this.

'I ask nothing more of a horse than for it to try, cos if it won't try it don't matter who/what/where its bred' me when people say what do you look for in a horse and its true I want a horse that not only feels like it would jump the moon, but one that would try to if I asked it to, my 2 year old will do anything I ask (apart from fly spray lol ) and will give her all in 100 percent of situations

misskerry

Visit site
I always say this to the nervous people I take trekking..
"sit, hold on and smile and ul be grand".
I get alot of shaky smiles after that

Crazydancer

Visit site
There is one from Kelly Marks about every pony/horse being good at something - pony in question was good at being white! I liked that.
My favourite personal one was said to me the first time I took my girl to dressage " You might not have brakes but remember you do have steering!"

Much along the same line, the first time I took my lad for a lesson, and he shot around the arena, bent like a banana the wrong way, motorbiking the corners, and head in the air like a giraffe...... instructor said 'well he's nice and forward going' :)

npage123

Visit site
THE HORSE'S PRAYER (Author unknown)

To thee, my master, I offer my prayer. Feed me, water and care for me, and when the day's work is done, provide me with shelter, a clean, dry bed, and stall wide enough for me to lie down in comfort.

Always be kind to me. Your voice often means as much to me as the reins. Pet me sometimes, that I may serve you the more gladly and learn to love you. Do not jerk the reins, and do not whip me when going uphill. Never strike, beat, or kick me when I do not understand you. Watch me, and if I fail to do your bidding, see if something is not wrong with my harness or feet.

Do not check me so that I cannot have free use of my head. If you insist that I wear blinkers, so that I cannot see behind me as it was intended I should, I pray you be careful that the blinders stand well out of my eyes. Do not overload me, or hitch me where water will drip on me. Keep me well shod. Examine my teeth when I do not eat, I may have an ulcerated tooth, and that, you know, is very painful. Do not tie my head in an unnatural position, or take away my best defense against flies and mosquitoes by cutting off my tail.

I cannot tell you when I am thirsty, so give me clean, cool water often. Save me, by all means in your power from that fatal disease - the glanders. I cannot tell you in words when I am sick, so watch me, that by signs you may know my condition. Give me all possible shelter from the hot sun, and put a blanket on me, not when I am working, but when I am standing in the cold. Never put a frosty bit in my mouth, first warm it by holding it a moment in your hands.

I try to carry you and your burden without a murmur, and wait patiently for you long hours of the day or night. Without the power to choose my shoes or path, I sometimes fall on hard pavement which I have often prayed might not be of wood but of such a nature as to give me safe and sure footing. Remember that I must be ready at any moment to lose my life in your service.

And finally, OH MY MASTER, when my useful strength is gone, do not turn me out to starve or freeze, or sell me to some cruel owner, to be slowly tortured and starved to death, but do thou, My Master, take my life in the kindest way, and your God will reward you here and hereafter. You will not consider me irreverent if I ask this in the name of Him who was born in a stable.

AMEN

Walrus

Visit site
I've got 2, one from my instructor who said, of my 13.2 sit up and ride him like he's a big horse. And from my physio, who is a bit like yoda in that she's very calm and wise, when I was telling her about pony's slow progress she just shrugged and said, give it time, it will come. And she was right.:D

AprilBlossom

Visit site
I think my most used one when teaching bratty spoilt kids at an RS was 'stop crying and get on that damn pony!!'

Seriously, the richer they were, the more they cried at everything. One girl refused to get on the pony she was down to ride 'because she's black. I want to ride the palomino'. Said palomino was a just broken 15.2 cob with separation issues. The girl was eight. Gah.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
From an international show jumper regarding getting the horse to go forward in a big canter & take you to the jump:

"You have to lose control to get control"

Caol Ila

Visit site
From a fellow livery on me stating I moved my horse from the US to the UK:

"Did you know they shoot horses on planes?"

Last edited: