Awful Day Yesterday

Shoei

Visit site
So yesterday, having woken feeling very festive, I posted my SS gift but by the time I had gotten back my old mare had gotten down in the field and everytime she tried to get up lost consciousness. It was heartbreaking, the weather was awful and I sat there with her head in my lap whilst I waited for the vet.

She was a typical mare who liked affection on her terms but I think she wanted me there. In fact when I moved to her shoulder when the vet was there she lifted her head to turn and look at me and whinied. She whinied everytime she thought I was going. It was heartbreaking sitting there in the hail.

I know we look for signs when we are sad like this but when the time came, the sun came out along with a rainbow and I have just gone to let the dog out and a shooting star fell exactly above where she did.

I'm just telling you all this so you all give you horses and extra hug. At 32 it wasn't unexpected but she was fit and well, albeit skinny, as old arabs tend to be. The vet thinks it was something neurological and I suspect a stroke, how quickly she went down.

I'm off to Olympia in Tuesday, I want to get her mane in a resin bead for my bracelet. Does anyone know of there are companies that do that there or how long it takes, it would be great if they could do it that day but I appreciate I have no idea what the process is and it might be more involved than that.

Mule

Visit site
So yesterday, having woken feeling very festive, I posted my SS gift but by the time I had gotten back my old mare had gotten down in the field and everytime she tried to get up lost consciousness. It was heartbreaking, the weather was awful and I sat there with her head in my lap whilst I waited for the vet.

She was a typical mare who liked affection on her terms but I think she wanted me there. In fact when I moved to her shoulder when the vet was there she lifted her head to turn and look at me and whinied. She whinied everytime she thought I was going. It was heartbreaking sitting there in the hail.

I know we look for signs when we are sad like this but when the time came, the sun came out along with a rainbow and I have just gone to let the dog out and a shooting star fell exactly above where she did.

I'm just telling you all this so you all give you horses and extra hug. At 32 it wasn't unexpected but she was fit and well, albeit skinny, as old arabs tend to be. The vet thinks it was something neurological and I suspect a stroke, how quickly she went down.

I'm off to Olympia in Tuesday, I want to get her mane in a resin bead for my bracelet. Does anyone know of there are companies that do that there or how long it takes, it would be great if they could do it that day but I appreciate I have no idea what the process is and it might be more involved than that.
I'm so sorry:(

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
So sorry, it’s never easy to lose a beloved friend. Sounds like you were lucky to have each other in your lives though and that you were able to be there for her at the end xx

Flicker

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear of your very sad day. What a bond you must have had with your mare for her to want you by her side.
In the past, I have used Shpangle for keepsake jewellery. They set the hair in resin and do a range of different items. If you don’t find anyone at Olympia, here is their website:
https://www.shpangle.co.uk/Lock_of_Hair.php

Big hug xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry.
What a horrible experience for you in and such dreadful weather. The period of waiting for the vet in such circumstances seems endless, no matter how quickly they get there.
You had obviously looked after her very well, she was a very good age and I'm sure it will be of some comfort to you that you were able to be with her and that she appreciated that.
As for the jewellery, our Equine Crem owner told us about some items that she can arrange after she has removed the body, so that the owner doesn't have to cut the hair in an emergency situation. I can't remember the name of the company and have no idea if they would be at Olympia but I guess that if you google horse-hair jewellery, you will get plenty of ideas.

Trouper

Visit site
It sounds like the worst of all days for you - I am so sorry. But how wonderful for you to have that affirmation from your girl on how much she loved and needed you at the end. Treasure the memories.

Shay

Visit site
So sorry for you. I love rianbows. God's sign. She is over the rainbow bridge now and waiting for you. You won't get keepsake jewellery made in a day I'm afraid. Take some time and look at the providers. Choose a design that really speaks to you. There is little worse (and I know I have done it...) than rushing to get something made that then you realize wasn't right or didn't suit. Its OK to take the time. My last keepsake piece waited for 2 years until I found Burnishedhorse at Windsor But its perfect!

BlackRider

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss, its devastating saying goodbye to your lifelong friend.

The resin jewellery does take time, I've also should shpangle - they did a lovely piece for me when I lost my first arab (she was also 32).

Thinking of you xx

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Yesterday when I was changing my horse’s rug she moved behind me, gently pushed me to the wall and put her head over my shoulder. I rubbed her nose and we had a brief ‘chat’.

I have never had a horse that wanted cuddles before me so it was a completely new experience for me.

You were very lucky to have each other and I am so sorry for your loss.

Baywonder

Visit site
What a dreadful day for you - I am so sorry. I can fully understand what you are saying regarding the 'signs' from your lovely mare. When I lost my old boy years ago, he went down in his stable. I went in to him and cradled his head in my lap. Whenever I had to get up, he managed to get up too and followed me, putting his head right next to mine, nudging me. As soon as I sat back down, he lay down too.

I managed to take him out into his field for a last bite of grass and treats whilst waiting for the vet to return. He only moved a few steps away from me, and all the time he kept coming back to me and nudging me with his nose. He knew it was his time to go. This happened almost 20 years ago, and even now, I am crying whilst writing this. He was well into his 20's and arthritic, and on that awful day he had a major intestinal blockage which was the deciding factor- but it still didn't make it any easier. I had many lovely years and such a fantastic bond with him. After he went over the rainbow bridge I never had the urge to get another horse to take his place. I do still love horses with a passion, but when I lost him, something died inside me and it has never returned.

It is an awful situation for you to be in, especially at this time of year. Be kind to yourself, and take time to choose something really special to remember your lovely friend by in the future.