Awful news

Velcrobum

Visit site
I invested in these magnetic strobe lights a few years ago after I had a rear tyre blowout going to a BE event. Fortunately lorry has a double rear axle so I was able to limp off the motorway using the hard shoulder to get to a safe place so the tyre could be changed. I have them for my car as well plus spare batteries in both vehicles. Simple but effective.

Bernster

Visit site
The Amazon algorithm must be going bonkers today, I’m checking out road safety stuff too. I agree - I’d rather be done for blocking the road with cones and stuff and hope it prevents an accident. I like this one as it seems a bit more sturdy, looks quite small but bright. I like this plus a couple of collapsible cones.
713FkaMfrjL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Such an awful tragedy I can’t get it out of my mind. My deepest sympathies go to Nick and Sophie and all their families of grooms and carers.

I’ve only a small box but will be investing in some of the safety equipment that people gave linked to - thank you.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Any stationary vehicle in a live lane is always going to be In danger.
I do think that amber flashing lights automatically register as a stationary or very slow moving vehicle. I don't think it's necessarily the case that the vehicle isn't seen its more that it doesn't register as being stationary until it's too late to do anything about it.
I know myself that travelling up and down the motorways and dual carriage ways it's very rare to see something stopped in a live lane with no warning .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Bernster

Visit site
To all those buying triangles, please be careful if you ever have to use them. I have visions of people being mowed down while placing them behind the vehicle.

Lawks, yes it’s a good point! The lights on the back of the vehicle are good but I’m thinking I would want something placed further back, to try and get vehicles moving away earlier, but yes caution advised in placing them ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I saw Sophie's post on facebook this morning. She sounded absolutely distraught and my heart goes out to her.

I'm at the other end of the country, but we have lots of similar A roads- they are terrifying. People go along them so fast, and don't give a thought to slow moving traffic or breakdowns. There's a stretch of road near my parents which is notorious for being so unsafe for exactly this reason.

I hope more can be done to look at A-roads and how they can be made safer.

ycbm

Visit site
I'm at the other end of the country, but we have lots of similar A roads- they are terrifying. People go along them so fast, and don't give a thought to slow moving traffic or breakdowns. There's a stretch of road near my parents which is notorious for being so unsafe for exactly this reason.

If it wasn't too dark right now, I could take a photo from my lounge window of the current car that's upside down in a field by the side on the A537, in most years, the most dangerous road in the country. Too many people just drive like idiots.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I saw something once that said there's no such thing as a dangerous road, not in this country.... but there are a lot of dangerous drivers. I thought there was a lot of truth in that. Speed and inattention are what kills people on our roads. Not the roads themselves. Though I might make an exception for "smart" motorways.

Sam_J

Visit site
Got these coming, permanent 12 volt lights, he assures me that there will be no situation where we break down when the 12v supply will fall. Orange flashing lights he will fit at the top of the van, hopefully right in the eyeline of drivers in big high cabs.

Your OH is a keeper!

ycbm

Visit site
I saw something once that said there's no such thing as a dangerous road, not in this country.... but there are a lot of dangerous drivers. I thought there was a lot of truth in that. Speed and inattention are what kills people on our roads. Not the roads themselves. Though I might make an exception for "smart" motorways.

For anyone who's not seen it before.

Warning, headcam footage of a serious accident (no fatalities)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bob notacob

Visit site
For anyone who's not seen it before.

Warning, headcam footage of a serious accident (no fatalities)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What a tit.Bet his insurers were unimpressed

ycbm

Visit site
Sorry for the diversion, to get back to the subject.

I saw Sophie's post on facebook this morning. She sounded absolutely distraught and my heart goes out to her.

I don't know how you get over losing three horses like that. How would you ever feel able to travel others again, even if you can "replace" them as competition horses? Her whole life and career have been thrown into turmoil on top of the absolute heartbreak of losing three healthy, young and loved horses at once. I hope she's getting all the help she needs, emotionally and practically.

luckyoldme

Visit site

I don't know how you get over losing three horses like that. How would you ever feel able to travel others again, even if you can "replace" them as competition horses? Her whole life and career have been thrown into turmoil on top of the absolute heartbreak of losing three healthy, young and loved horses at once. I hope she's getting all the help she needs, emotionally and practically.
It's one of those things that's just too hard to think about.
The whole story of how much it takes to get to that stage and the loss of horses that are loved.
So very sad.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I keep coming back to this thread and not knowing what to say. I don’t know how you’d ever get over losing four horses like that. I hope everyone involved is getting the help and support they need.

I can't imagine how you get over seeing the accident unfold, knowing what was going to be inevitable and not being able to do a single thing to stop it. And then there's the loss of the horses on top of that.

Birker2020

Visit site
Of course you can always have a mechanical error with a lorry or indeed a horse box, someone we knew drove a lorry from the equestrian centre down the road round a slight bend and some belt broke in the engine and it affected the lorry's power steering and brakes (have no idea how or why) and she ended up veering off the road and going down a ditch, luckily all three horses on board were unhurt as they were herringbone with heads upwards.

My partner was injured (bone chip to leg) rescuing one of the horses and needed 6 weeks of work to recover.

Police arrived, breathalised her and off she went to the nick although she wasn't charged in the end.

Bob notacob

Visit site

You never get over it ,you just file it away in your "hurt locker" Nick is someone who I have for a long time considered a friend . Who else but Nick would remember a horsebox drivers name. I know him to be a caring and considerate person who has always had time for others. I am sure Sophie is the same. Well its time for all the people they have helped ,to be there for them .