Awkward growth phase, back two year old

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
I know I’m probably over thinking but I normally get my horses at around 4/5/6. Can’t say I’ve ever had a horse from two like my newer mare.

She has just had a small growth spurt andHer hind has gone up again. Her back looks so dipped, is this just an awkward phase.

Breeding wise, none of her line have a dipped back as this can occur in the Friesian breed but we made sure no one in the last 4 generations did.

She is 2 years and 10 months nearly. DOB is 11.06.21

Curious your opinions?

Attachments

• 28DA4598-32F6-42A4-8E5C-11EBDECD8DD6.jpeg
    28DA4598-32F6-42A4-8E5C-11EBDECD8DD6.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 23

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have an Arab that looks like that when his out of work, when he was fit and ridden properly he looked like a normal horse, he is 20 now though so he can look a bit dipped in the back now compared to when he was young.

Look into postural training and stretches that can help with that it's not often linked to genetics its how they lay in the womb and how they mature, but you can improve on it.

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
I have an Arab that looks like that when his out of work, when he was fit and ridden properly he looked like a normal horse, he is 20 now though so he can look a bit dipped in the back now compared to when he was young.

Look into postural training and stretches that can help with that it's not often linked to genetics its how they lay in the womb and how they mature, but you can improve on it.
My other mare tb is sway back lordosis after racing and being broke At 18 months.

She was much flatter previously, but her hind has gone up in height again. Was hoping it was just being in that 2-3 age.

Right now she’s pretty much wild and just getting used to being brushed and groomed. May explode if i do stretches but when she comes in this summer I will definitely start!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My other mare tb is sway back lordosis after racing and being broke At 18 months.

She was much flatter previously, but her hind has gone up in height again. Was hoping it was just being in that 2-3 age.

Right now she’s pretty much wild and just getting used to being brushed and groomed. May explode if i do stretches but when she comes in this summer I will definitely start!
Just get her used to you touching her she needs belly lifts and thoracic sling exercises, sbloom on here in a saddle fitter she has links to sites that will help you.

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
Just get her used to you touching her she needs belly lifts and thoracic sling exercises, sbloom on here in a saddle fitter she has links to sites that will help you.
Thank you, my other mare underwent KS surgery so we’ve done all of them. We are trying but she struggles with touch. Will keep going with it and try do some belly lifts.

She won’t be ridden until she’s at least 4/5 so won’t look at saddles just yet.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My trakehner cross looked awful at 2, her back end was much higher than her front , don’t worry too much they usually even up and look more like horses.

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
My trakehner cross looked awful at 2, her back end was much higher than her front , don’t worry too much they usually even up and look more like horses.
Thank you for a bit of reassurance, I worry as she’s nearly 3. She won’t be ridden till 4 and 5 if she is not developed enough

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Mine didn’t finish growing till she was 6. Mum was 15.1 and dad was 16 hands and she was a first foal so I worried she might not grow enough but she ended up at exactly 16 hands

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My 3 year old (I guess he's "rising 3" to some) looked sway backed-ish at one point this past winter. He's still bum high at the moment, but his back looks good. When a part of his body, or the whole thing looks funky, I just wait a bit, and it sorts itself out through growth.

I still do posture and strengthening exercises with him though. I'd do that with any horse, really.