azoturia

siennamiller

Visit site
hi

Harley had suspected case of this on saturday
frown.gif
. He is also suspected epsm so we are trialling the diet which really seemed to be helping. But I had a bale of haylage which was a bit brown in places, could not get another one so has to pick out the best if it-this is probably what caused it asit was prrobably high in sugars?
My Vet said to turn him out and keep him going, so I have been walking him out but he feels quite stiff behind still. How long should I expect to go easy for?
Anyone got any exp of this?
Thanks

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
A days box rest, 2 days field rest, then start working slowly is the norm. Blood test after about 10 days to chest the AST has come down and if so kick on. Red Cell and Azodine will reduce the AST to normal within a week.

siennamiller

Visit site
will try those two things-have started walking work already (as vet told me to) so will carry on with that and see how he goes
wish I knew why as he is on epsm diet and it was coming in from field when it happened ?!?
confused.gif

thanks

sqippa

Visit site
you are about 2 months in to the diet change right?
That is notorious for hiccups...my boy developed foot stomping when asked to walk on at this stage!!!! No one really knows why this happens but it is certainly a pattern.

This could have been a true azotoria attack or a relapse in his epsm. Both can be triggered by the same things and horses with epsm are more prone to tying up type episodes. If I remember rightly you had a great ride the day before so his muscles could have been a little over tired, maybe this together with his 2 month stage and the new haylage was all too much.

The main thing is that you are doing everything right and this is nothing unusual so don't worry too much. Carry on with the high oil low starch diet as this will help both epsm and tradtional azotoria horses. Try to use another source for hay/haylage and get your boy gently moving about.

I would strongly advise you to join rural heritage website as you would get lots of helpful advice there from both epsm people and those dealing with azotoria.

I know exactly how you feel but honestly you are doing everything right.

Sqip

siennamiller

Visit site
yes, we have had some rain, and I think it is a bit chilly but everyone else laughs at me!!
wel I will go with my instincts and put rain sheets on from no on and bugger what anyone else says!

siennamiller

Visit site
Hi Pip
Just thought-did I reply to you- can't remember, if I didn't then sorry
frown.gif

yes it is 7 ish weeks. He was foot stomping quite alot and he has got very trippy/stunbly last cople of days
Yes you are right about the day b4, he did work very wll although I don't think I overdid it, just a tiny bit of steady canter and a couple of jumps down a grid
he is still on the diet and I have him turned out and am exercising him at walk. I will join that website
Thankies muchly

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I always get it from the vet.
You tell the people that laugh, that its the little details that are important.
When I was head girl at a large yard I had about 10 fillies who were a bit prone. The boll#ckings I used to give for people leaving rugs off and washing off with cold water were unreal. With the effort I went through feeding them I could have easily sacked someone for it.

siennamiller

Visit site
I tend to always do what I think ( but still feel silly) but then I think well they are my horses and I will do what I want! The fillies are the worst, my girl (tb) was so much happier when I got her a rug with a full neck. My boy seems a bit tougher but maybe not
thanks, will speak to vet

siennamiller

Visit site
apparently he was haring round the field like a looney, practising massive twisty bucks
ooo.gif
so obviously feeling better, will carry on the walking for a few more days and see how he goes

Marilyn

Visit site
my mare's been on Azodine previously and it did no good at all. I would also give him more time off than three days. When my horse used to tie up (despite all supplements, rugs, feed changes, you name it) we gave her 10 days off straight off but she was turned out 24/7 which, IMO is the best thing for a horse prone to tying up. There are many nutritional supplements that do help, but, to me, it sounds like haylage might be the problem. I was always told that horses that tie up should not have haylage at all.

sqippa

Visit site
I know you didn't over do things but you can't always say the same for your horse....as he demonstrated today hooning round the field. When they feel good they can over do it despite our best efforts. All part of the adjustment to the diet!! the oil can make them rather more enthusiatic simply because they don't hurt as much!! You should have seen my boys displays 2months in....glad he doesn't do that with me on board!
crazy.gif

Sqip

siennamiller

Visit site
vet said not to box rest, (apparently no longer considered the best thing) and to get him working lightly to get the muscle working. I am just walking for a week and then she said to get on with it again as long as he feels ok. I was not aware of that, I have been told not to give him hay as it is worse to give him hay
thanks

siennamiller

Visit site
hi sqip
at least he is feeling better, he seemed pretty good when we trotted him up this morning before I rode, We are a bit bored tho just walking ( which he is showing by spooking and leaping about-plonker!! )