azoturia

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Don't know a huge amount about it but one of our horses has showed signs of it today after being in for two days due to bad weather. his feed was already reduced but obviously not by enough.
He presented with stiffness and discomfort half an hour into exercise, but walked back to the stable reasonably normally.
We have kept him warm and obviously will leave him on hay for a few days, and talk with our equine nutritionist for advice re introducing feed, but any other tips?
We have given him one bute sachet (advised by the vet the last and only previous time he had it) and are keeping him warm. some of his back muscles feel tight, will hand massage harm or help him? (why do these things always happen on Sundays when i don't like to disturb our vet at home
frown.gif
)

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Usually a day box rest, then quiet turnout for a couple of days does the trick. Then obviously bring them into work slowly, taking care to warm up/down/wash off with warm water etc.
If a persistant problem then blood tests to check the AST are beneficial, and maybe supplements such as Red Cell and Azodine.

YorkshireLass

Visit site
I know I bang on about the whole EPSM thing, but, it has been found to be the underlying cause of tieing up in many horses. If a horse prone to tieing up is managed as an EPSM horse, the problem is virtualy eliminated.

If you google something like EPSM HORSES you will find a heap of advice from experts!

beaconhorse

Visit site
I would stick to a no starch diet all the time it certainly can't hurt and would also look at the EPSM diet you may be surprised at the everyday difference it makes to you horse too

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone, I think it was a mild attack, and caused by standing inside for two days in the awful weather.
He's recovered and is eating his hay with no obvious problems we can see.
The annoying thing is his feed has been cut down massiveley but it still must have been too much..
His diet already is high fibre/high oil and specifically aimed at horses who might tie up; back to the drawing board I think..

Taboo1968

Visit site
Have seen it in another horse many years ago, who had it badly..... but never having to deal with it, dont really know much apart from keeping them warm....

Glad it was only a mild attack and fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

Heidi1

Visit site
I have a Tb mare that suffered a really bad attack a few years ago, was very stressful..... I decided to go the high fibre/high oil diet, but then at Burghley last year I went on the Winergy stand and had a look at their feed (equilibrium), well it's worked a treat, horse is great and (Touch Wood) not had another attack, have all mine on it........... If you speak to Hannah Collings at Winergy she will give you some excellent advice www.winergy.co.uk - I'm case study 3.......

Flame_

Visit site
I had a mare PTS a few years ago because she kept getting azoturia and each attack was more and more painful. Such a shame but we never found the root cause of why every time you got her back up to cantering she'd tie up again. I'd like to learn more about this EPSM for future reference as its something I've not heard of before and I hope I never have to see another horse in so much agony as my poor old mare.

ecs

Visit site
some years ago my mare tied up, she had been in keeping another lame horse company, as he would not stay in alone, we gave her a week of, on veterinary advice, brought her carefully back into work after that and gave a 6 week course of Azadine she never got it, again despite being worked quite hard, showjumped up to foxhunter,and fed quite heating foods as she was basically quite lazy, and had to be fed competition mix, fast and slow release, to keep her energy levels up enough to compete.

jellybaby

Visit site
Add selenevite E to the diet. We had a horse that tied up at the drop of a hat, especially after being in the 10 min box at a 2/3 day.

Also make sure that you warm up and down properly, ie, a good 20 mins of walking with their quarters covered.

JB xx

Tootsiepop

Visit site
My horse used to tie up after a day off - the vet told me to put a tea spoon of bicarb of soda in his food and it works. I don't know if this is appropriate for your horse but it worked well for me.
Luv toots