Babies / Horses ~ Essential Kit Advice (help!)

stilltrying

Visit site
I expect this has been done to death previously....however I have finally decided to play at being an adult and am expecting my first baby in July (having put it off for far too long!!)

So, I'm hopeful that some sensible peeps can make some recommendations, specifically with regards to essential bits of kit (i.e. carrier things, yard proof buggy etc etc). I keep mine at a livery yard on DIY and so far I've been very sensible and sold my little dun mare (who has gone to a lovely home - made it so much easier). The big ginger one I've stopped riding (due to him being a bit of a tit) but he is old and sensible enough to potter around for the summer. I'm quite lucky in the timing as he will be living out within the next month and is generally very low maintenance.

So yes, any advice is greatly welcomed...I asked a friend of mine for a shopping list of essential items, she came back with tenna lady and earplugs. Joy!! The challenge over the next few months is to STOP looking at youngsters for sale (thinking maternity leave project?). Yes I am completely deluded as to how much time a baby will take up : )

Limbo1

Visit site
Love this! I had no clue how much they impact your life! A few bits of advice:
Have a plan for when you have baby - ie who will do horse, how to get hold of them etc. Make sure written down so others cane do it for you. Have a back up plan in case you have a c section of a difficult birth. I had a section, you can't drive for weeks - up to 6. You also can't lift very much other than a baby for quite some time. A bucket of water or haynet was impossible for me for 3 months! I had a sharer and horse on part livery, not sure what I would have done on DIY. Even if you have a simple birth the first few days/week is a total blur you will not get out to a horse.

Kit - Buggy I vote mountain buggy every time! I used to have a sleeping baby in it, push it to school whilst leading horse over mud etc. Leave by school while I rode and pushed back. Get one of the warm sleeping bag type things for it too as autum/winter you will need it. I did not use a travel system, you soon find that the baby has been in car seat, switched from car to buggy for hours - not good for them. Also get horse used to buggy before it has a kid in.

Sports bra that is big enough for post bub boobs, one you can feed from even better.

GemG

Visit site
I a DIY livery with an older reliable horse and a home bred (yes we had a broodmare in foal whilst I was pregnant too) nearing yearling filly (a keeper)...

2 children (one is now 1 and a half and one is nearly 5) - both pre school, breastfed on demand with both (and would do so again) and I work nearly full time (shift work). I have supportive husband - thankfully, or it would be impossible!

All depends how much help (childcare) you get as to how easy/ hard it is. Young children , or even older children and big stomping horses are always a worrying mix lol!

- initially a car seat carrier.
- DVD for car (although I've never done this yet!)
- front carrier
- back ruck sack style carrier once they're old enough (my smallest is in this when I'm up at the yard just now)
- wipes - lots of
- wellies

But those carriers (good as they are) - you are still limited in what 'jobs' you can safely do. For example I wouldn't lead our youngster with a baby on me (madness!) - but I would lead the old horse as I trust him completely.

A massive, huge dose of patience and a sense of humour.

I still struggle.

You will not have anywhere near the child free time/energy etc as you had before - but you just have to do what you can and get on with things.

- horse out 24/7 or as much as possible.
- low maintenance (forget full clips and clean tack)
- lower your expectations (schooling/competing)
- don't feel bad about not riding or doing what you used to.

But enjoy the time, it goes quick, and it is valuable even though at times I could see it all far enough. Children grown up quick and horses will always be there - even if they have to have a bit longer time off, so be it. For me it is a hobby (madness) it's not as if my living depends on whether or not I get out competing etc (thankfully).

There are plenty other folk on here in similar situation who have been through it all.

Excuse typos - I'm being quick !!!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh what a shame ... life without kids is sooo much better. Never mind, too late now I suppose! How about getting a nanny or perhaps a crate?

GemG

Visit site
Love this! I had no clue how much they impact your life! A few bits of advice:
Have a plan for when you have baby - ie who will do horse, how to get hold of them etc. Make sure written down so others cane do it for you. Have a back up plan in case you have a c section of a difficult birth. I had a section, you can't drive for weeks - up to 6. You also can't lift very much other than a baby for quite some time. A bucket of water or haynet was impossible for me for 3 months! I had a sharer and horse on part livery, not sure what I would have done on DIY. Even if you have a simple birth the first few days/week is a total blur you will not get out to a horse.

Kit - Buggy I vote mountain buggy every time! I used to have a sleeping baby in it, push it to school whilst leading horse over mud etc. Leave by school while I rode and pushed back. Get one of the warm sleeping bag type things for it too as autum/winter you will need it. I did not use a travel system, you soon find that the baby has been in car seat, switched from car to buggy for hours - not good for them. Also get horse used to buggy before it has a kid in.

Sports bra that is big enough for post bub boobs, one you can feed from even better.

Lol!

Oh god yes, forgot about the birth bit!!! Yes good advice there.

Luckily no c sec for me but first birth traumatic and luckily I managed to send horse on holiday for a couple of months to a friend ( he was covering hers) which was perfect. Didn't have youngster then.

Second birth was straightforward - and I was up and running very quick indeed and was mucking out etc very soon after with no issues (but couldn't have managed that first time around). Just doing it all whist baby slept in carrier next to me and if she woke and wanted fed I just had to stop and oblige. All very time consuming and there were plenty of tears of frustration I can assure you. But it doesn't last long in the grand scheme of things! First time around I felt like I'd been in a car crash!

Last edited:

gothdolly

Visit site
A good heavy duty 3 wheeler buggy, lowered expectations and standards and if possible, breastfeeding (easier than making up bottles on the yard) are my top tips! I have mucked put with a baby in a back carrier etc, but would never ever lead, or god forbid, ride a horse with a baby in a carrier. Believe it or not, I have seen that done :(

Stockers

Visit site
Kit covered above really. But support is the one essential I lacked and struggled. Never turn down offers of help. ensure you have some post birth cover in case of a c section - don't under estimate how serious that surgery is - I did and it took me three months to get back on my horse. Don't put yourself under pressure - everything will take longer than you think. But it's worth it....you will soon be eyeing up lead rein ponies..... Good luck!

Booboos

Visit site
Don't buy too many things, you won't know what works for you until you see how you want to parent. Here are some examples from my children:
- MiniBoo1 had a wonderful adjustable cot which turned into a toddler bed and then a young child's bed...co-sleeping on my mattress on the floor as we speak (4.5 year old!)
- after a c-section it was impossible for me to carry the baby in a car seat so travel systems were useless
- MiniBoo1 would only sleep on me so I had to ditch the buggy for a sling.

Do research car seats and buy the best you can afford. Extended rear facing is a huge bonus. I am a big fan of Cybex.

My Britax B-smart was a great all terrain buggy for MiniBoo2 who consented to sleep in it!

And congratulations!

stilltrying

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice so far! Very much appreciated, keep it coming : )

I'm lucky that I share duties & paddock with a good friend, so come July all he will need is a welfare check / water topping up. I dont feed in the summer so he really is low maintenance. He is also pretty much retired from competing, so as and when (or if....) my desire to compete returns, I'd have to get another youngster anyway.

And yes I was thinking of a carrier for summer poo picking duties rather than anything else. The old boy is dude and would never intentionally hurt me...but he is a clumsy oaf and I have to bear that in mind.

Amicus

Visit site
Oh what a shame ... life without kids is sooo much better. Never mind, too late now I suppose! How about getting a nanny or perhaps a crate?

Similar to crate training a friend trained her toddler to a mat where he was allowed special toys he didn't get access to at other times, allowing her to muck pick and handle horse without him being underfoot, obviously she still had to watch him the whole time but it reminded me a lot of crate training a dog and like a well crate trained dog, tot seemed happy with the arrangement as long as it wasn't for too long.

GemG

Visit site
You will find your own way for sure. I eventually did, but I wasn't prepared for the whole life changing thing with the first! I thought it would fit around the horses - I now realise my whole life now works around the kids - and why would or should that be any other way.

I just wish I had that chat with myself beforehand - but hey ho! I thought I could do some BD on my mat leave - in reality I was lucky if I rode 3-4 times in total during that time!!!! Doh!

stilltrying

Visit site
You will find your own way for sure. I eventually did, but I wasn't prepared for the whole life changing thing with the first! I thought it would fit around the horses - I now realise my whole life now works around the kids - and why would or should that be any other way.

I just wish I had that chat with myself beforehand - but hey ho! I thought I could do some BD on my mat leave - in reality I was lucky if I rode 3-4 times in total during that time!!!! Doh!

Perhaps i wont buy myself a youngster now then! : )

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
LOL! A 3 wheeler essential. I had a mothercare one which I got for £40 off ebay, a sling to lob it in. Nice field to park pram/pushchair in whilst you school horse.

I was lucky, riding 8 days after having 1st one, 9 after the 2nd although I had to stop as I started bleeding again. I was determined to show that I could do it all and entered a walk/trot dressage comp 6 weeks after giving birth with 1st.

My hubby was very good at looking after child whilst I popped put for a quick ride. I stuffed baby with as much boob milk as possible and legged it!

I did sell a couple of ponies, so went down from 6 to 4 when pregnant the 2nd time. Eldest became useful at 12/13 months old when he could shake out the bedding when pony stood on a nail and had to be box rested. That's when it becomes tricky, sick child/sick pony but grab any offer of help that you can.

Good luck and enjoy it all. :)

GemG

Visit site
Perhaps i wont buy myself a youngster now then! : )

Unless you buy a yearling ;-) lol!

I bred one in mind that it would turn 3 ish when I have more time (youngest child will be nursery then and older one at school). That's the plan anyway!

Seriously, don't put yourself under any additional pressure that you don't need. But expect it to be plain sailing. Conversely - You might have tons of help and find it a breeze though!

It's made me tougher and much more efficient!

Buy binoculars so you can do little 'checks' on horses at grass from a distance (drive by) whilst getting baby to sleep lol!

Limbo1

Visit site
Thought of another thing - if you can get baby into a routine - not Gena Ford but find one that suits you and reinforce it. My first was a routine baby and I knew once fed(took ages to feed) I had a good 3 hours till next feed. Amazing how much you can do in 3 hours! I could drive to yard, catch, groom, tack up ride, untack etc Do any little chores and drive home before a feed was due. She also got used to sleeping outdoors and seemed to prefer it. Jan baby so tough, I have a picture of her asleep in her buggy in the snow at about 8 weeks!

I did not like/use a sling/papose. This was due to c section scare being sore, bad back and very sore boobs. I would wait to buy lots till after the little one is here, then buy what seems useful.

On the crate training. I know someone who had a pen next to her school for her toddler, it had toys and a wendy house in it. She is a pro so could ride quite a few horses whilst kid played. Ate snacks etc.

Fiona

Visit site
A good three wheeler buggy ie Jane, mountain buggy or Phil and teds..

A routine after first few weeks, as above poster said..

A sling or wrap..

Space for a playpen at yard when a bit bigger..

Fiona

windand rain

Visit site
Congratulations I will probably be called old fashioned but a sturdy wooden playpen saved my sanity. Trained as a puppy my kids all loved it when they were tiny they slept in the pram in it on cold days or fell asleep in it in the shade on warm ones. You do need a very child friendly oh or mum/mum in law to do it all though. playpen can hold toys snacks etc. Mind you I do think kids from tiny upwards need to learn to entertain themselves but that shows I am old and strict. Granddaughters first sentence when asked why she was such a good girl was "Grandma doesn't do whinging" Drilled into her from about 4 months old lol

BigPony

Visit site
Second a yard-specific pushchair, preferably an eBay bargain and if it's air filled tyres, treat it like you would a wheelbarrow and get them filled at the tyre place so they're puncture-proof.

I had a caboo dx carrier when she was small, and an ancient tomy dream rider back pack style for when she was bigger. I did more with her in the pushchair when she was tiny, I felt she was a bit vulnerable in the sling somehow, we just never quite cracked it. It was also easier for others to take her off my hands!

I made sure I'd spoken to and paid in advance for hay and bedding etc for 2 months so that if anything happened, the people looking after my horse had all they needed for some time.

4faults

Visit site
Congratulations on the bump!! It hard work but it's wonderful, you will love being a mum.
I'm lucky in that my little one is so good but in all honesty he hasn't had much choice really. When he was born I had one horse but my husband works away Monday-Friday most weeks so I had to get on with it.
Little one got used to being parked up at the edge of the arena while I rode (albeit limited to 30 mins) and I could get all my jobs done in 30 mins, really helped budge some baby weight I can tell you!

I fed him myself, as has been said its so much easier than faffing with bottles. Kept a variety of toys/spare clothing/blankets in the car to prepare for any weather or eventuality. Also try and find somewhere that you can change bubs nappy without too much hassle. I had a 4x4 at the time so it was easy to just do it on the backseat and not to hard on my back and now he's older we have a horsebox so he gets done in there or alternatively I lay his stroller down flat and change him on it somewhere sheltered.

Now he is nearly 2 and we have 3 horses so a set of miniature tools and a waterproof all in one are just the ticket. He helps me with my jobs(in the loosest sense of the word) and when his little legs are tired he goes in his stroller at the edge of the arena with a snack and occasionally the iPad so he can watch a cartoon.
If you get them used to it early enough it becomes routine, just try not to get stressed yourself and don't be afraid to ask for help

Last edited:

stilltrying

Visit site
Thanks all for the words of wisdom : ) I should have mentioned I have an amaze OH who is super keen to be hands on, and knows I'm passionate about my ponies. (He bought me the little dun mare i've just sold for my birthday last year!). However I'm determined to make life as easy as possible for me, and if it all goes swimmingly and I dont have a mental breakdown, then once the baby has arrived I can revisit my desires for another youngster. ; )

now_loves_mares

Visit site
Congratulations :) My DS is now 8 months. I've ridden 6 times since he was born. The problem isn't really lack of time now, but lack of baby sitter. I have no arena so it can't be a baby-asleep-in-pram scenario. And although DH is obliging, he believes in 100% division of free time. So if we have an hour a day each and that hour is used up poo-picking and feeding, I don't get a second hour to ride. I'm hoping once the weather improves some more I will spend less time on chores and be able to use that time back on board. But to be honest I live in a constant state of guilt - either the child or the horse are getting ignored at any given moment.

I also had a C-section. I did sit on a horse at 9 weeks (a reliable oldie) and then mine at 12 weeks. It felt ok by then but I couldn't lift the lorry ramp for ages.

All that said, I wouldn't change it for the world and now that we're weaning, nap times are longer etc, things are getting better. I can't wait to take my little guy out on lorry excursions :). So err yeah a car seat that fits in your horse vehicle is a good one ;)