baby cobs first dressage coming up.

fishy

Visit site
I am taking my just 4 year old to his first dressage outing this weekend. In fact it will be his first outing full stop! I am hoping to do intro C on him. I have no expectations but just want to get him out, its a pony club dressage comp so i'm hoping it will be fairly quiet and its not too far from home so not too much travelling involved. My question is how to turn him out. He's eventually going to be a lightweight cob, hogged and trimmed within an inch of his life (well thats the plan) but at the moment he's a 4 year old that likes to sleep in poo! oh and he's grey! I will be bathing him but should I plait him or would it be ok to take him au natural? Do I wear a tweed or navy jacket? I'm not sure how to post pics but if anyone can explain in idiot terms I'm happy to try. Thanks for getting this far I'd offer prosecco but its a bit too early x

Trakehner92

Visit site
I am taking my just 4 year old to his first dressage outing this weekend. In fact it will be his first outing full stop! I am hoping to do intro C on him. I have no expectations but just want to get him out, its a pony club dressage comp so i'm hoping it will be fairly quiet and its not too far from home so not too much travelling involved. My question is how to turn him out. He's eventually going to be a lightweight cob, hogged and trimmed within an inch of his life (well thats the plan) but at the moment he's a 4 year old that likes to sleep in poo! oh and he's grey! I will be bathing him but should I plait him or would it be ok to take him au natural? Do I wear a tweed or navy jacket? I'm not sure how to post pics but if anyone can explain in idiot terms I'm happy to try. Thanks for getting this far I'd offer prosecco but its a bit too early x

How exciting!! Good luck! I'm not sure on the plaiting thing as my horse is hogged so when we go to dressage it's super easy but I just wanted to wish you good luck!

I would of thought that you didn't have to plait but it would be good practice too but it depends on the place. Most places I go to I see the odd person unplaited :) But if it's run under BD rules (I think) you have to plait.

Again ... not much use really lol! but good luck anyway!

dressage_diva

Visit site
You will be fine not to plait - I did BD with my lightweight cob who had a pulled mane and didn't plait occasionally!

You can wear whichever jacket for dressage - I always competed in navy jacket but plenty of people wear tweed.

Kikke

Visit site
You don't have to plait, and the type of jacket does not matter at all.

BD don't have rules about plaiting at all and their rules for jackets are short jacket in any conservative colour, either tweed or normal, up to advanced medium level.
Having said that there is now a rule that with warm weather you only have to wear jackets on championships so you should be fine.
and aslong as his mane are clean and tidy unplaited is just fine!

fishy

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, unplaited it is! As for the jacket I'll decide on the day. Keep your fingers crossed for me please xx