Baby horse help

Farrieress

Visit site
I have a beautiful youngster Udo Van Padhuis/Rona Diva, she is two and compared to some two year olds she still looks underdeveloped. I am mindful of over feeding as i do not want excessive weight on young joints, she comes out hacking with my other horse in hand.

She has a wonderful attitude and she has been competed lightly doing two county shows, and recently taking a Supreme Championship. I am aware i need to build her up behind and she needs some more topline.

Has anyone got ideas for building my youngster up quietly over the winter so i can take her out to shine in the ring next year. Some exercises or massage im very open minded as long as it produces results. This is a pic of her now at 2 yrs [image]http://C:\Documents and Settings\c721826\My Documents\My Pictures[/image]

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Quality will always out, and I for one and dead against putting uneccessary condition on a youngster for showing.

Feeding good quality haylage over the winter, plus ensuring the right amount of nutrients is fed to keep condition on, is what is done with youngsters at my yard. Those that are shown are fed only to maintain a healthy body condition, rather than trying to 'over' condition. They all do well. Although, it's more likely that too much work on immature joints could cause you more problems, rather than putting condition on.

NELSON11

Visit site
Hi there, my baby is just turned three and from an early age has been fed Top Spec feed balancer. It has allowed him to develop some top line and everyone comments how mature he is, without being overgrown. The beauty of it is you will not be pumping lots of hard feed into him. I would thoroughly recommend it. Being two you are a bit young to be thinking about musculature building exercises. Try the top spec

Farrieress

Visit site
Yes i am very mindful of excess weight on joints especially young ones! She gets the best feed and is on great quality hay as the various types of haylage i have tried did not agree with her.

Her diet is good and well balanced. What i am after really are ideas on how to build her up (muscle not fat) quietly using exercise and perhaps alternate methods in order to give her a fighting chance next year.

Farrieress

Visit site
You know what i was looking at that the other day on horse hero. I get the theory and would really like someone to show me how or if it is simple to pick up talk me through it.

NELSON11

Visit site
Have you been told by the judges she requires more topline and muscle behind? Generally most judges I have come under appreciate youngsters may be a bit gangly etc. I am a vet physio final year student and agree a good groom would help her musculature but as she is still growing I think nature should be allowed to take it's course, the correct feeding regime, lots of good quality forage and paddock exercise over the week. Perhaps Top Spec would deliver direct to you?

Farrieress

Visit site
Im just looking at the strapping video again. So you top spec rather than blue chip. Yes it is judges opinion but i am aware of how she looks but then again she is only two and out and up out and up every week.

Years ago we would turn them away with good hay in the field and hard feed once a day but that was years ago, and im not producing an eventer im producing a show/dressage horse. I think perhaps i am pushing a little hard and need to sit back and accept what will be will be.

NELSON11

Visit site
I certainly would try Top Spec over blue chip, works amazing for all our babies over the years, We have never wintered out either, paddock excercise in the day, rugged and stabled at night. I am sure you will see her develop nicely by next season.

NELSON11

Visit site
Honestly it takes a while for them to grow into their own, generally by their 3rd year they are taking shape nicely. My boy has been a camel, an elephant and all sorts, but now spot on, so I am sure she will bloom for you!!!

x

Farrieress

Visit site
lol Nelson mine was a camel the other week! I am going to bring strapping into my grooming routine, anything to help really, she is so lovely if i can help her grow into a swan i will x