Baby vs Horse

Best Jumper

• Total voters

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Just thought I would put this too you.
Money wise my husband and I (and our 1 yr old daughter) could either afford another baby or a horse. I have said to him that I wanted 2 babies close together so I could get back to work etc for good once all the baby business was done, but he wasn't so keen. However, now that I am starting to get back into riding, he has decided that he now does want a baby. We are half heartedly trying (came off the pill 3 months ago), and I do want another baby, but am frustrated that he seemed to change his mind just as I brought up the issue of horses again!!
Just wondering other people's thoughts on this!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Really? Why?
I have been broody since giving birth to my daughter (think I may have more than one screw lose) but am actually less broody now I am getting back into the horsey set :p Typical!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Well I have only one daughter and she is all I ever wanted so no regrets for me and, of course, I have got a horse. Babies are lovely but they do stop you doing a lot of things so I can see why you would want two close together to get it all over with!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I think it's a question only you can answer. Personally I'm not a child person and maybe I'll change my mind one day but at the moment I'd always have a horse over a baby.

If you're feeling broody why not keep trying and then get back into horses once the baby is born?

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Yeah - I didn't want just the one (although can see why you did) but thought if I do the baby thing, I can then get back to the horse thing - plus then they will be close together in age so I can get a pony (or 2 ) for them!! - Although do thing that this may be pushing my hubby a little far - especially if I suggest that I would want to take them hunting... he is against it wholeheartedly :p eek!!

llewyn

Visit site
My man wanted a baby recently but i saw this friesian that i wanted. He sed that we cant have both. So i opted for the friesian. 3 months later and 1 extra horse to look after he wants to try for a baby
Image019.jpg

Mellymoo1

Visit site
LOL @100% saying have a horse!! I think if you posted this on a baby website it might be a different result!!

Seriously though, its a decision only you can make with your husband. Personally, after having one nightmare of a child, I'm not so keen on doing it all over again!! Give me a horse any old day!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
LOL - problem being my daughter is an angel (touchwood).
Arghh :p
I would have a different result on a baby website, (probs 100% baby) but wanted a horsey opinion really. Thanks for everyone replying.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Quite hard for me to answer as I dont have children and Im still not really sure I want any
tongue.gif

I very ocassionally get broody.... right upto the point where my OH says "Who would ride Jack? Would you sell him?"

I just can't envisage how I'd juggle a baby and a horse and my priorities lie with my riding.

As for you.... I guess if you have your heart set on two children then now is a good time... At least after this you can "stop" and then maybe start getting back into what you want to do outside a family? If you have a horse now... then want a 2nd baby... how would you deal with the horsey?

But for me... horses come first :|

Happytohack

Visit site
I have just the one daughter and when she was a baby, I managed to fit having a horse in as well. I could take one child with me to the yard and there was always someone who was happy to look after just one child if I wanted to ride. Don't think it would have been so easy with two. My daughter now has two little girls of her own who are only 18 mths apart. She doesn't have time for anything else and they really are quite a handful for me (nanny) to look after - one on their own is fine, but two are hard work. TBH only you can decide which you want more right at this moment. If you have two, you will probably have to shelve all horsey plans for a while.

luane1

Visit site
My two are 2 years 1 month apart and yes it was hard work at the beginning you do get it over all at once and then can concentrate on other things - says she who after 19 years has finally stopped running after them as they both drive and have their own cars. Children nowadays do so much that you never have any time for yourself I only got back to horses again when my daughter started to ride aged 9 and we have never looked back and now own three horses and I dont ride again I am on the ground managing

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Thanks everyone - it is hard as I have a horse who is out on full loan as i couldn't afford to keep him when I got pregnant with eloise. I would love him back, but hubby would like to never see him again!!
I think deep down my problem lies with the fact that I want to be rich - have a nice house with a yard out the back so I can have the kids but have my horses too :p
Any donations greatly appreciated!!!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Who needs a baby when you have that mane!!

p.s. you gotta stop posting pictures of her
tongue.gif
Its making me "horse broody"
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - true. Gorgeous horse

Imonone

Visit site
Have children close together and then you can get back to horses sooner. I had too big a gap between mine and feel like ive been doing the mummy thing forever, although I do still have the horses.

You can always part share, help out others on the horse front.
On the ++ side taking the kids through Pony Club is fab and wouldnt have missed it for the world, its as good as riding yourself IMO.

StrawberryFish

Visit site
I think that is what I am looking forward too the most. I have already given my number out to riding school, hunts etc so that I can help out on foot whilst pregnant etc just to keep my toe in. Hubby wants kids to be into motorbikes but I'm not about to allow that to happen!!
Bring on the cute little ponies!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Haha thats one of the few things that appeals to me about having children
tongue.gif
I want to "breed" a dressage genius
tongue.gif
(And i love ponies... I want to buy ponies
frown.gif
)

We have a couple of children at the yard (all sort of around 11-12 years old) and they're all dressage crazy. They're always off doing the BYRDs camps and they're all absolutly fabulous little riders.

I'd probably keep riding as late as possible in the hope I'd pop out a little girl with really good natural feel and rhythm :p

StrawberryFish

Visit site
[/qoute]I'd probably keep riding as late as possible in the hope I'd pop out a little girl with really good natural feel and rhythm :p

[/ QUOTE ]

I rode until I was 7 months with my daughter - and even then I only stopped because I couldn't get my bump behind the saddle and kept slipping on bareback!! - so fingers crossed she will be a natural. She is already looking that way - sits on her trike with her heels down and i'm trying to teach her how to hold reins properly ;-)

If there is anyone up in Yorks, near Northallerton with a safe little pony - i'm sure when we move there we could help out in return for occasional rides :p

horsegirl

Visit site
I don't mean this to sound rude but you had a baby and were still broody? Surely having a baby should have stopped you being broody? What's to say you won't have another and still be broody as the broodiness can't be for a baby? I would let the baby have a little time with Mum as only child before another comes along so get a horse.
wink.gif

bubbleboy

New User
Visit site
definilte a horse, I have been in this situation before we have one little girland everytime she asks for a brother or sister we give her the option. Needless to say she has three ponies and another one in the pipeline!!!!

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Thanks agian everyone - it's dead interesting hearing everyone's points of view.

PS Does anyone know the website for putting pics on here. I am registered on it, but haven't used it for a while so can't remember!!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
i would choose a horse over children every time....but then i do not want any whatsoever....and i will not be convinced otherwise!

i am of course biased as if i had my way, i'd be convincing everyone to have horses instead of babies!!

but seriously, think really long and hard...if a second baby will make your family complete, then do it (literally!!).

how hard would it be time wise to juggle 2 young children and a horse? could you sacrifice riding for another long (perhaps longer) period whilst adjusting to another new baby?

whatever you choose, i really hope it makes you happy
laugh.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
hey
I am currently pregnant ( nearly 33 weeks) I have 2 horses, one I have loaned to someone on here, the other one is having a year off. There is no way I would get rid of my horse though. I just budget every way I can (never compromising on vets etc). If we struggle then I may have to find a grass livery or something.
I will be going back to work part time after my 9 months mat leave to pay for him.
good luck
grin.gif

StrawberryFish

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
hey
I am currently pregnant ( nearly 33 weeks) I have 2 horses, one I have loaned to someone on here, the other one is having a year off. There is no way I would get rid of my horse though. I just budget every way I can (never compromising on vets etc). If we struggle then I may have to find a grass livery or something.
I will be going back to work part time after my 9 months mat leave to pay for him.
good luck
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi - that's cool!
I wish I had kept my boy but the type of horse he is (personality wise) meant I wouldn't have had the time or money to keep him in the way he had become accustomed. He will hopefully come back to me sometime so I keep that in my head!