Babygro as a Dog Coat?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Was just contemplating this idea off the back of another thread.

The wee terrierist is getting out of her coat at night. I've tried the padded-with-a-zip-along-the-back and the sweater kind, neither of which stay put.

She has a self-heating bed and her crate is covered with a thick fleece blanket, so she should be okay, but she's a thin-coated wee beastie and I worry about when the cold cold nights come.

As a last resort I could have her on (in!) bed with me. The issue comes that she's been having bed snuggles the last couple of mornings and there appears to be a correlated response of her grumping at the others during the day / evening - this concerns me as she had stopped all that.

Anyhoo, all ^^^ is a very long winded way of asking if anyone has tried using a babygro as doggy pyjamas?

meleeka

Visit site
Not as pyjamas but have used them when my dog had a patch she kept licking on her upper leg. I cut the legs off so she only had her front legs in but they did stay on. 12-18months fitted her well (parsons terrier).

I did forget to take it off once in the rush to do school run. It was also one of those rare days when there was a space outside the gates, so everyone got to see her in a bright pink babygrow. ?

Attachments

• 832B2C6C-25D3-42DB-89F7-9C116FF7522A.jpeg
    832B2C6C-25D3-42DB-89F7-9C116FF7522A.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 15

Bellasophia

Visit site
Your crate sounds well provided for re heating pad and cover so
I’d not go as far as to add the baby gro or pjs for a coated breed at night.

My schnauzer ( who sleeps on my bed) also likes to be warm ...she has been waking at night . I only have to lift my quilt and she dives underneath and sleeps till morning.She almost purrs likes a cat,kicks her hind legs and shudders..then snores contentedly.
The big poodle likes to be uncovered ,but as soon as I put out the light he almost jumps in the air and does a 180 air twist jump,to gently land alongside me,to get maximum contact/ warmth.
If you want your dog to sleep in the crate I would add a vet bed for the floor,into which she can snuggle..or give in and let her upstairs:rolleyes:( my vote).

misst

Visit site
I use equifleece vests/jumpers with and without legs which work well in cold weather. To be honest I bet she will be warm enough with all her lovely snuggly things in her crate. Is she taking it off because she is too hot?
It may be a sneaky way to get in your bed!!
Mine sleep with us I'm afraid but they often get out from under the covers in the winter as they are too hot, and sleep on top of the duvet.
If she is using the bed as an idea of superiority it may be a bad idea to encourage it. However she is a small terrier so everyone needs to accept she is superior in every way.....

Bellasophia

Visit site
I made a dog coat for a lab..I was really surprised that the back length was 80 cm compared to my st poodles 64 cm,.that made a huge difference to the cost factor..
id suggest getting some fleece material and sew your own coat..it’s basically a rectangle with the head/ neck away..and the thigh area cut around to shape.
26361615-DBCF-4D11-950E-5011998D57E7.jpeg
Above is a double layered raincoat,but same idea...for the simple house coat I’d just use the pile layer and elastic waistband closure..edging is optional..really easy sew.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I made a dog coat for a lab..I was really surprised that the back length was 80 cm compared to my st poodles 64 cm,.that made a huge difference to the cost factor..
id suggest getting some fleece material and sew your own coat..it’s basically a rectangle with the head/ neck away..and the thigh area cut around to shape.
View attachment 60658
Above is a double layered raincoat,but same idea...for the simple house coat I’d just use the pile layer and elastic waistband closure..edging is optional..really easy sew.

I'm panicking now, T's coat is 50cm long - that I just ordered.
Seriously, I couldn't sellotape two bits of paper together, let alone sew anything!

Bellasophia

Visit site
My mini schnauzer..thirteen inches tall has a 40 cm coat length back

you measure from the back of neck to point covering the tail..A on diagram
usually B is half of A.
E756EEBA-1711-42AA-AF1F-909F95AB45C2.jpg
It’s always better to go a bit bigger,rather than smaller.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
MrsM, I’m afraid terrierists need to sleep on the bed with you at all times. Sometimes they will be under the duvet, sometimes they will lie on top of the duvet, they will self regulate as they feel appropriate.

Colin always makes an excellent foot warmer (his choice from day one!) and George is my little hot water bottle to cuddle.

Don’t worry, you will learn....?????

palo1

Visit site
Quite so - the only proper place for a terrier to sleep is in the bed!!:) :) Sadly my OH doesn't agree having had to share the bed with a greyhound when we first met. He announced very firmly that whilst he was about there would be NO dogs on the bed and to be honest, the huge snoring, farting greyhound didn't really help my sleep (or any romance). I never thought I would have anything other than large hounds so I agreed to the OH's conditions only now I have a perfect size dog for bed-sharing!! OH still feels that no dogs on the bed is appropriate...

GreyMane

Visit site
We used to have a Jack Russell alarm clock ! She'd shoot down the bed like a guided missile and curl up by your feet, occasionally coming up for air. Sometimes she would leave a chunk of sausage or a bone "buried" under the pillow... :D

RE pet wear, neighbour's cat has been modelling, amongst other things, some rather cute "Build a Bear" tops.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 8

{97702}

Visit site
Quite so - the only proper place for a terrier to sleep is in the bed!!:):) Sadly my OH doesn't agree having had to share the bed with a greyhound when we first met. He announced very firmly that whilst he was about there would be NO dogs on the bed and to be honest, the huge snoring, farting greyhound didn't really help my sleep (or any romance). I never thought I would have anything other than large hounds so I agreed to the OH's conditions only now I have a perfect size dog for bed-sharing!! OH still feels that no dogs on the bed is appropriate...

Ditch the OH. There is no excuse ??

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Well... In my defence, such as it is, letting the Lil'dog up on my bed send to be bringing out her inner terrierist with the other dogs...

We're having a bit of a test period. She's allowed no up-on-the-bed time for a week. If, at the end of that time, she's still grumping at the others then we know it's a different issue and will reasses. If she's stopped grumping we'll run the test again and see if there's any behaviour changes.

Y'know is actually easier dealing with the big dogs than the wee thing!

Bellasophia

Visit site
When I settle to sleep my two have” their place”,otherwise I get cramp,from the bigboy lying on my legs and there can be a grumble from the schnauzer if she doesnt take her place near the pillow for the night...when I’m ready to turn out the light ,I say “places” and it’s like musical chairs..they each go to “their places “and settle..they’ve done this from being pups.Works a treat.

my poodle is so intelligent I politely ask him “ can you move over please” and he shuffles his body out of my way,without getting up....it’s a hoot,he understands every word I say.