Bach flower remedies, anyone use for riding?

my bfg

Visit site
I'm finding it very difficult to relax when hacking, I get worried and I tense up, which makes my girl worry and start napping and spooking which makes me worse, its a vicious circle! The rare occasion I've managed to calm down my girls been a star so its definitely me getting her worked up.
I've tried eradicating everything I've been worried about I.E. mare slipping over - knee boots, my foot getting caught in the stirrup - peacock irons etc.
Its been suggested that I try Bach flower remedie to try to chill out a bit, got some of the drops and the chewing gum containing drops today so am going to try it when I ride in the school tonight then venture onto the road this week during our lessons.
Has anyone else tried this and has it helped?

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
I haven't tried it for riding, but HAD to do something about the dentist visits. I have been turned away without having treatment until I could calm down. (not hysterical but shaking uncontrollably). Bach flower remedy certainly helped me, so much so that I don't need it anymore.
Hope it will be the same for you too :)

Greylegs

Visit site
Not with my current horse, who's an absolute gem. But my previous mare required quite a lot of Bach Flower before getting on board. Might have something to do with the fact that it has a brandy base .... !!!!

....joking apart, it does really help. A few drops on the back of your tongue before venturing out really help to keep you calm.

my bfg

Visit site
Thank you both, its great to hear youve had positive experiences with it, fingers crossed I get the same and we can start enjoying being out and about together :)

M&M&G

Visit site
Can I ask which remedies you have tried? Are they specific flowers or a combination as in Rescue Remedy? I have used Rescue Remedy in the past for when I used to get nervous about interviews or big meetings at work - they certainly helped to take the edge off and control physical issues such as voice wobble. I have been recommended Larch and Mimulus for my horse to help with issues out hacking but thinking I might try it myself! wondefed if anyone has experience of these.

Mariposa

Visit site
I used to use Rescue Remedy before games....the pastilles and the spray. I'm sure if it's psychosomatic but it really did make me feel better when I was very nervous!

muckypony

Visit site
Cab a tone explain this to me or point me in the direction of some? I get a terribly sick feeling after I've landed from the last fence on a SJ course out competing... Very weird! But it's starting to get to me a bit now, I think one day I might be sick on bystanders! Wondering if this may help me at all.

my bfg

Visit site
Some great replies and info, thanks all :)
Tried the rescue remedy chewing gum tonight and schooled in the menage, first time aboard for 3 weeks and she was a bit keen, it was quite breezy and the horse eating tree monsters were lurking in the orchard next door, usually this would have meant either avoiding that corner of the school or a lot of spooking. Tonight I had no butterflies whilst tacking up and I just rode round using the entire school with a cheesy grin on my face, if she started to tense up near the trees I was able to calm her quickly and keep her going where I wanted her to go.
Brilliant stuff am definitely converted! :)

Dave the dog

Visit site
used bach rescue remedy on my eldest when he was a toddler + he is now a very calm 30 year old and as big as a horse. Excellent idea Keep us posted.

madmav

Visit site
Gave some Rescue Remedy to my son just before he took driving test for the fifth time. Probably all in the mind, but it calmed his nerves and he passed.
Remember being given it when I was in prolonged labour. Didn't help at all! But guess that needed something stronger!
It's definitely worth a try. If you believe in it, it may well work. The mind is a wonderful thing.

taraj

Visit site
Cab a tone explain this to me or point me in the direction of some? I get a terribly sick feeling after I've landed from the last fence on a SJ course out competing... Very weird! But it's starting to get to me a bit now, I think one day I might be sick on bystanders! Wondering if this may help me at all.

I used to get this, and still do sometimes! The main thing I have found is to remember to breath!!

Have used rescue remedy in the past, it take the edge off but could do with it being a bit stronger as a couple of drops don't seem enough!

SpringArising

Visit site

Haha this happens to me, too! I think it's just the adrenaline. I'm usually in such shock that I actually remembered the way!

I actually have a video of me finishing a round, patting my horse and then doing a massive gag :D

muckypony

Visit site
Glad I'm not alone!! I am fine before and during, and if I have a pole down it doesn't happen at all! I think the breathing might be a big issue haha. Everyone always looks at me funny as it looks like I'm either crying or can't breathe!!