Back in the saddle & how is he looking

ColouredFan

Visit site
Today I had my first lesson in 6 weeks, it was my third time riding after my shoulder op. Frankie was very relaxed soft and willing (a BIG thank you to spotted Cat for all her recent schooling!). We mainly work on his canter, the upward and downward transitions and collection. I managed 40 mins before I started feeling a bit sore so we finished a bit early.

My instructor thinks he looks well, but I am a bit worried he is a little overweight? he has the RC open at Broadway on the 14th then the regionals at longleat and Milton Keynes so lots of fittening work needed. How do you think he looks?

Horses100.jpg

Horses101.jpg

Horses102.jpg

Horses103.jpg

And a couple from my lesson

Horses111.jpg

Horses114.jpg

Horses123.jpg

Thanks for looking
smile.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
Aw glad your back in the saddle!!!

Frankie looks his usual gorgeous self!!! Maybe a tiny bit round (who am i to talk!!) but as long as his fitness has kept up i'm sure it won't matter and will probably fix itself now you're back in the saddle and he's working towards events again
smile.gif

jules89

Visit site
god he is so sexy, you guys go so well together, doesn't look like you've had time off at all, how do you feel?

Would love a sit on him, totally love him

KatB

Visit site
He is gorgeous. So smart!! And looks great. As you know a little bit more fitness work will get rid of his touch of a tummy, and just build his bottom up again
smile.gif

ColouredFan

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think he is a little round to be honest, I am going to do fast work twice a week now to try and increase fitness and decrease the roundness
blush.gif

Jules - I feel Ok thanks, Not 100% but I am not expected to be recovered fully just yet so I think its just a case of time being a great healer! You're more than welcome to a ride
smile.gif

Bubblegum

Visit site
Glad to hear you are back riding.... he looks great. Just a bit of a summer tummy..nothing a couple of weeks work won't fix. Looks to be going super in your lesson.

KatB

Visit site
Ah, ok... hill work is no. 1, but raised poles on the lunge work well, lunging with the reins over their back and to the bit rings through their front legs really gets them working over their back and from the bottom, that can help! He has a gorgeous bottom, but I like nice round muscley ones
wink.gif
tongue.gif

ColouredFan

Visit site
you wouldnt tell at the moment but he can be hard to keep condition on as feeding is so difficult due to allergies! I will try the lunging, would the pessoa have the same effect or should I use draw reins as you described for a better result?

KatB

Visit site
I dont use a pessoa as I feel it can make them "hold" themselves too much... but thats just IMHO
smile.gif
Yeah i know youhave said before re. his condition, he does look fab, don't get me wrong
grin.gif

jules89

Visit site
Personally I love the pessoa, and I use it loose-ly so they don't "hold" themselves or drop behind it, and I use a loop of balertwine on the girth so it looks like draw reins but it's a pessoa, if that make's sense?

kick_On

Visit site
lovely to see you back in plate as for Frankie i think he's enjoyed his time off, well at least his stomach has
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Canter work will get grass belly off
cool.gif
cool.gif

MysteryGirl

Visit site
I agree that he has a little bit of tummy, but I'm sure it won't take you long to shift it.

Just wanted to say you have a lovely riding position, especially in canter
grin.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
He's looking super - nothing a bit of fast work won't sort out!

I am sure his softness and willingness was less to do with my schooling and more a huge sense of relief that he has you back on board rather than me!!
grin.gif

louisesb

Visit site
Hey matey!! Glad to hear your back up and running (or riding to be precise). Frankie is looking good - well covered should I say
grin.gif
. Like all the other's say, nothing you wont be able to cure with a good few canter sessions! I also have to say I'm so envious of your position - you sit like a pro dressage rider - most unfair!! Glad your doing well though matey.
smile.gif
x

ColouredFan

Visit site
Yep that makes sence Jules and is simular to how i use it, I just dont lunge him often as we dont have a surface and I dont like the thought of lunging when the ground is hard (or muddy!).

KO lots on canter work is on the cards!

Thank you MG, it only looks good as my instructor was there shouting at me!

SC - Kate said what a great job you have done
smile.gif
I am very gratefull, without you working him he would look in foal by now I expect!

Hi Lou, hope all is well with you, this is def my lesson position, find it very hard to maintain without constant reminders of "sit on him" "shoulders back" and "head and hands up"!

Chole, It seems like forever since I last competed (Larkhill) cant wait to go XC again! The recovery was quicker than expected my physio is very pleased.