back leg collapse on walk then ok

On the Hoof

Visit site
so any thoughts on this. 18 month old border collie. very energetic dog and highly anxious. Her back end was weak as a puppy but now she has good strong musculature on hind end. Walked this morning on a long line, a little bit of ball catching but she wasnt as keen as usual today so did less running around to catch ball. She suddenly got worried as she heard the 'poo truck' on the other side of the field going along the playing fields and pulled me away quite strongly. She picked up a 'lost' dog toy (ball on a rope) and carried that for about 20 seconds, dropped it, went to sniff some grass (didnt lick or eat anything there or on whole walk), turned to come back to me and back legs went from under her. S/he tried twice more. I held her for about 20 seconds whilst I was 'processing' what was happening and how the hell I was going to carry her back to car. As I stood up she got up and went on her merry way as if nothing had happened. She has just had her second season which finished a week ago but probably not relevant.. At the point of collapse she had been walked only for about 35 minutes. is this border collie collapse ? I thought this was after very strenuous exercise or excitement in hot weather. (its 12 degrees here this morning). What else might cause this. she seems fine now so I am tempted to just keep an eye on her rather than rush to vets ??

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I don't know OTH, but hope she's ok. I wonder if it is linked to the fright from the poo truck, like an adrenaline surge. But if so I would have expected it to have happened before with her being anxious.

Personally I think I would observe carefully but not rush to the vets straight away. If I had a vet I trusted I might see if they could do a phone chat if it was worrying me though.

Bellasophia

Visit site
If this is the first time she has had this issue,I would keep a daily diary and record any unwillingness to excercise,difficulty in turning / getting up and then resuming normal excercise etc..If she has another episode,then definitely needs to be seen by an ortho vet.

It sounds to me like she has a disc issue..especially if you say as a pup she had a “weak hind end”..
..personally I would book her in for a spinal x ray..not expensive and would at least give you an idea if this is the issue..
Cheaper than an mri,but you would need the latter if nerves are involved for a more comprehensive investigation.
In such a young dog It is a good idea to get an early diagnosis so you can focus on the correct treatment..
you may be advised to add a supplement to her diet. Chondroitin,glucosamine ,msm,etc
It may be she needs to rest ,especially on days when she seems unwilling to get going..
but unless you get her diagnosed then things may well continue and could worsen the problem.( early arthritis etc)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d actually be thinking of speaking to your vet sooner rather than later actually. It could be something, or nothing. But knowing a very fit and energetic bc that went off it’s legs at a young age, never to recover, I’d want it investigated pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Moobli

Visit site
Sounds baffling but I’d be concerned about a disk problem too so hopefully xrays will provide some answers.
Just as an aside my dogs love chasing balls and while I do sometimes throw it for them to chase and catch, I do much more of making them sit and wait while I throw it then send them to find it once it’s landed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Sounds baffling but I’d be concerned about a disk problem too so hopefully xrays will provide some answers.
Just as an aside my dogs love chasing balls and while I do sometimes throw it for them to chase and catch, I do much more of making them sit and wait while I throw it then send them to find it once it’s landed.

Same here, its much safer for them and also teaches steadiness. :)

On the Hoof

Visit site
Just an update on Ripley. She was quiet for a few days after the incident (which made it easier for us to keep her quiet....) but was bouncing around again from Saturday so she was less keen on short lead walks at that point. They didnt xray her today - but I do trust the clinic. They first checked for pyometra and are confident that she does not have this. They have palpated, manipulated, done neural exam and pain score. She was found to be a bit sore in one muscle on right hind. Treadmill gait analysis was paw perfect. They are not worried but want to see her again before xmas. They are thinking that her season (remember this happened just one week from finishing her season) affected the collagen in her muscles/ligaments and this led to the temporary collapse. Im still going to be keeping a very close eye on her and if I have any doubts will get that xray at my vets.

Bellasophia

Visit site
I’d still want an x ray of the spine.
Ive had females for over 50 years and never had one react like this after a season..the reason the vet gave you sounded like a fob off.Somewhat wait and see,rather than excluding the slipped disc/ spur theory by a simple x ray.
Most likely your dog would not need to be sedated ..my poodle girl lay still whilst they xrayed her for a similar issue..( trapped nerve)
In her case she had rest and anti inflammatories and it never reoccurred.