Back legs giving way

Moggy

Visit site
Anyone come across this before? Friends pony (10yo) has had her back legs give way twice in the last couple of weeks. She's perfectly sound and didn't actually go down. Once was as being taken out of school after work so not a morning stiffness thing. Any ideas?

the watcher

Visit site
needs a vet visit to assess, could be spine/pelvis..could also be nerve damage (this is serious as they can drop with a rider on board)..on the other hand could just be stiffness so don't panic but do get it looked at

Moggy

Visit site
Thanks I told her not to ride. Back person is coming on sat anyway so suggested she waited 'til they'd seen her before calling vet unless it happens again.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Back person is coming on sat anyway so suggested she waited 'til they'd seen her before calling vet unless it happens again.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Back person is not the first person I would have called - it would have been the vet, and sooner rather than later.

fairhill

Visit site
Mine did the splits with her back legs in the field once (she slipped). It left her with sore muscles for a while whilst she recovered and during this time her leg gave way a few times.
If your friend is going to ride then she really should put knee boots on the horse just in case.

samp

Visit site
My old boy did the same out hacking after a year of assesments etc he was diagnosed with a sprained sacro-iliac joint and had 3 months box rest and then 2 weeks intensive therapy

BethH

Visit site
could be locking patella or locked up muscles in the glut area, is it more dipping the back end rather than falling? Other option could be like my old horse who had neurological problems causing back legs to give way, was untreatable but he was nearly 30 and went fully down when the legs gave way, yours sounds less severe so unlikely to be this