Back of pastern... flummoxed!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Is that a real word?
Anyways, filly pulled out this morning, slightly lame RF. Bit of heat in foot area so arrange for farrier this evening.
By now the joint is red hot. I can feel a small pocket of fluid halfway down the back of the pastern, right on the ligament. Its about the size of a thumbprint and if you press is squishy. Its not a swelling or at all puffy, so doesnt point to ligament strain/sprain.
It is not painful to the touch at all and cant find any marks/cuts where a thorn or likewise may have got in.
Farrier cant find anything in the foot but have left the shoe off, I have poulticed from foot to joint, she has had 20mls penicillin and 2 bute.
Any ideas what it is? Before anyone says, I am waiting to talk to vet.

Bossanova

Visit site
The only thing detectable when Boss did his annular was a pocket of fluid and a fair amount of heat- there was never any swelling. He had had a very minor tear in the tendon/ligament barrier and the fluid was escaped tendon fluid.
Could be the same thing, but knowing horses, it prob isnt!!

TGM

Visit site
If she is 'red hot' (as opposed to warm) from foot upwards then I would suspect a foot abscess. I know you've said the farrier has been out, but sometimes they can't always find them straight away - we have had cases very similar where OH hasn't found an abscess first time, but that is what it turned out to be eventually (even though the amount of swelling in the leg made owners think it could be tendon/ligament). My advice would be to poultice the foot and/or tub it to soften the foot and have the vet and/or farrier back in a few days to reassess.

TGM

Visit site
Fingers crossed he finds some pus
crazy.gif
!

barneyandem

Visit site
When my horse had an absess, tubbing his foot in a warm bucket of soda crystals really helped, although im sure you know of much better methods!Hope your horse is ok!

smallgirl

Visit site
My horse had exactly the same thing vicijp, its almost like a button to press?

He was stabled and banaged for a night, had bruised foot in the end, the swelling went down overnight with a couple of butes, and hasn't come back. It was very puzzling and the Vet couldn't find a reason for it.

Hopefully the swelling will go away with yours too.