Back on board.

QuantockHills

Visit site
I had my first hip replacement and 40 and the other hip at 41 (arthritis). It was agony to ride or walk etc for the 7 years before my replacements but now, no pain whatsoever! I waited 8 weeks after the first op and 12 weeks after the second. My surgeon said i couldn't ride anymore in case I fell off, but the physio's said to get on with it. It's the twisting you have to be careful with but I can even do the splits now! JG stop putting it off!!!

Reacher

Visit site
Glad you are up and about.
My mum, a retired physio, had her first hip replacement last year (at 79) and was back at RS at about 6-8 weeks (can’t remember exactly). She had 2nd hip done on Saturday .
One thing she does advise is to be careful dismounting and landing heavily on the artificial hip which could break. She once had a patient who jumped off a stile and broke the artificial hip.
When mum is back in the saddle she says she is going to dismount onto s large mounting block

Fiona

Visit site
I have my other hip replaced so I do know what to expect .

On the last one I had started riding when I went to see the consultant he did his things and said you are riding again I said yes how did you know .
He said from your range of movement I have only seen one other like that at six weeks and it belonged to a mountaineer .
That’s the thing with hips the more you do the better they get .
Interestingly there’s been a big study on dislocation risk which has lead to a relaxation on the advice given since I had my first replacement.
Basically spontaneous dislocation is not as big a risk as was previously thought .

That's very interesting GS...

My hubby is 3 weeks post hip replacement, and was told three months before he can ride...

I'll tell him your news..

Look after yourself x

Fiona

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
That's very interesting GS...

My hubby is 3 weeks post hip replacement, and was told three months before he can ride...

I'll tell him your news..

Look after yourself x

Fiona

Get your hubby to ask if he had a cemented or non cemented replacement.... If its non cemented, then it's wise to wait until the bone has grown around the prosthesis.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just had my first one to one yoga lesson .
I did a lot of yoga in my twenty’s and early thirties .
I really enjoyed it I felt really good after going to have one weekly ,the teacher sent me away to practise just my breathing until next week .

Ceriann

Visit site
I waited 12 weeks but did feel very ready to get back on at that point. I will say the 2nd and 3rd ride were agony as my sore muscles adjusted. 4 weeks does feel very soon but you know your own body.