Back on Track Rugs

lynz88

Visit site
....as the title says....I'm wondering who has a BOT rug for their horse? Now that we are (generally) moving into cooler night temps, I want to keep my boy warm as we have made a lot of progress. I was initially looking at the BOT mesh rug but I see they have all sorts of options and trying to decide what one might be best for a TB with a very large shoulder. I did read/see that the mesh rug isn't particularly well suited to horses with big shoulders but can't find much info on the other rug options. Basically looking for something I can pop on him 15-30 mins or so before/after riding or working him. Ideally he would stay in it for a longer period of time but I can't get down to pop it on/off and he's usually out for the entire day in a back field and I know the BOT products should be introduced slowly.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My horses love their BoT mesh rugs.

My big shouldered 16.1hh IDx is grand in the 165cm size, she normally takes a 6'9" rug. The two 15.2hh sports horses (usually in 6'3") have 145cms.

They are spendy, but they work well and wash well.

Even the mesh rugs have quite a lot of heft and substance about them. They have substantial shoulder gussets, which aids fit.

Last edited:

Ossy2

Visit site
I have the fleece one and the cooler one. The fleece one I love for stable definitely keeps the back warmer on mine. The cooler is literally the best travel rug ever. I think the fleece is great for winter on my oldie. I think they’re great for hours long wear but I’m not sure I’d buy for 10/15 minutes wear though from my experience they are more long term wearing beneficial.
They are definitely not the most generous In size so go up one.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I’ve got the mesh one in his normal size and it’s plenty big enough (he’s a large ISH with strong TB influence). I had to put an extra hole in the chest straps so probably could have got the size smaller but it’s fine as it is. He’s got very high withers and the only thing I didn’t like was the attachments for the neck cover as one connector sits on top of the wither. I removed the ring as I want no extra pressure on his big bony wither and feel it’s a bit of a design flaw but otherwise he really likes the rug and I use it as you describe although sometimes longer once he’s built up to it.

lynz88

Visit site
This is all good stuff. I was really worried that the shoulder would be tight as it looks quite tight on the few videos I've seen and the reviews that I've read but perhaps they changed the design of them? Maybe I will buy larger as he's put on a lot of weight in the last few months and a few of his blankets are now coming up small (which is a good thing). He is normally 6'9 in Weatherbeetas but could go up to 7'0 now ??

Ideally I want him to be wearing it for longer periods of time - my only concern is that BOT recommend that you introduce gradually and I just can't get down to the yard (and walk a good 15 mins one way to his field) just to change his rug and nor can I reasonably ask the yard staff to do it for me.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I did introduce the BoT mesh rugs gradually as suggested, but since then I've thought nothing of popping one on overnight even if the horse hasn't worn one for months, so not sure that it's really necessary.

For a size check, this is the 16.1 chunky big shouldered IDx in her 165cm mesh rug. It's plenty big enough, she's in 6'9" to 7'0" normal rugs. Sorry that it and she are a bit grubby, I'm on minimal husbandry duties as still testing +ve for Covid. It'll look like new after a wash.

0D868A86-EE9B-46E7-B525-308F0ECDC0D1.jpeg

E3B0B3F1-961D-4025-A0B8-5BF97BFFB843.jpeg

D0AA21C9-E74E-4E04-A58C-7CD8568AA884.jpeg

eggs

Visit site
I use the mesh rugs on mine under their turnouts in the winter so they have them on pretty much 24x7. When I first got them, like Tiddlypom I started the slow introduction but now I just put them on and leave them and it doesn't cause a problem.

I was told by the rep that if the shoulder is a bit tight (I have two with mahoosive shoulders) that I could cut the strip that holds the two sides of the dart together (you can see it clearly in TPs photos.

lynz88

Visit site
Thank you!!! Yours is definitely more chunky than mine TP, so that makes me feel good as well as just chucking it on! I see where the strip is. Huge thank you! Decision made!!