Back on track

Four Seasons

Visit site
Hi everyone!

After 4 months of no riding, due to my freak accident, I started riding beginning of Janaury. I could only do 15 minutes a day and basically walk/trot only. Built it up from there and now finally starting to see some improvement on my behalf. I'm gaining more core stability, my back has strengthened loads and I don't need oxygen after 5 minutes of trot :D I'm still not quite there yet, my core still needs loads of improvement. Canter is still slightly uncomfortable, but Elena's canter isn't the easiest to sit to. I couldn't do any kind of sitting trot a couple of weeks ago, this was too painful. But FINALLY my back has strengthened enough now, that it's ok to sit to.

Elena is my 8 year old Dutch Warmblood mare (s. Westenwind, ds. Jazz), who's been mine for 2 years now. First year was a bit bumpy, she had a mounting problem and that resulted in a broken wrist for me. After that we finally got to know each other and I couldn't be more pleased with her. She's such a pleasure to ride, loves to work and very smart. Just before my accident, I'd been competing quite a bit and was hoping to be Medium Advanced (M2/Z1) by the end of 2017, unfortunately, that didn't work out. She's had a bit of a holiday the past 4 months.... and you can see that! :D She's developed into a pot belly pig. She's only just over 16 hh and in the picture she looks massive! She's been on a diet for months, but I guess her tummy muscles went all flabby haha! We're working on that six pack again.

For the moment I'm working on the contact (she finds it difficult to stay on the vertical), her strength in the hind legs and suppleness. Transitions, transitions and more transitions for this girl. Canter has never been her strongest gait. Her back stiffens and she very easily looses bounce and rythm. When warming-up long and low, she's relaxes her back and goes with the flow, but when I collect my reins, she tightens. As you'll see in the video, she doesn't quite step under properly and tightens her back. I transition a lot between long and low and a higher frame, together with medium canter and some collected. She finds the collected a bit difficult still, but we'll get there. And excuse my poor posture/seat!! I'm still a weakling!

bYh9vz6.jpg

eHqPXBU.jpg

xxOxuk8.jpg

gu2k1oh.jpg

[video=youtube_share;ZIlBQnIg3EI]https://youtu.be/ZIlBQnIg3EI[/video]

Working on some self carriage/collected trot (very pleased with her at the end haha)
[video=youtube_share;r0qVgzCrtbg]https://youtu.be/r0qVgzCrtbg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;LkOqoTy0zfk]https://youtu.be/LkOqoTy0zfk[/video]

Bernster

Visit site
Haven't watched the vids as am at work but wanted to say glad to hear you are feeling stronger. You both look very nice in those pics. She looks nice and uphill to me.

Wheels

Visit site
When you say she finds it difficult to stay on the vertical do you mean she goes behind or in front?

This post is timely for me as we were working on going between long and low and more collected and back again with my trainer the other day. All the time aiming to get the same swing of the back. So we went long and low and gradually started to collect a little, as soon as I felt a brace I was to let him back out until I felt the swinging back again and then collect a little until he braced and then did it all again. After a few goes he was much more accepting and it is something we will work on over the coming weeks

Four Seasons

Visit site
@ Bernster
Thanks! I know, I shouldn't be so harsh about it haha.

@ Wheels
Both. She's a difficult little thing. 2 years ago when I just bought her, she would easily overbend and come behind the bit. Now the contact is good and soft, but she still easily overbends or when she's in front of the vertical, braces her back and looses swing. With her is strength at this point and knowing that she can swing her back and relax whilst being ridden in a higher frame. I had her where I wanted to be before my accident, but back to square one after 4 months.