Back pain, not KS

Cowpony

Visit site
Hope you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome from that diagnosis?
She has had a SI injection and the vet said that should spread around the area. We are now rehabbing in hand, and I will get back on in a couple of weeks. That will be about 2 months after the injection. Vet said 3 weeks, but I wanted to get her muscles as strong as possible first. She's meant to be my dressage horse, but at this stage I don't know if she will even be rideable.....

YourValentine

Visit site
She has had a SI injection and the vet said that should spread around the area. We are now rehabbing in hand, and I will get back on in a couple of weeks. That will be about 2 months after the injection. Vet said 3 weeks, but I wanted to get her muscles as strong as possible first. She's meant to be my dressage horse, but at this stage I don't know if she will even be rideable.....
😔 I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

YourValentine

Visit site
How old is the horse. What work would you ideally like him to be doing? Unless he is a competition horse maybe a really good physio or ask the vet to medicate the back and see if it helps before spening a fortune or giving up?
9, low level RC, fun rides, odd bit of hunting, all rounder was the goal. He'd love to be a cow pony 😄

Going to talk to the vet again. Discuss maybe medicating the SI and see how we go.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
9, low level RC, fun rides, odd bit of hunting, all rounder was the goal. He'd love to be a cow pony 😄

Going to talk to the vet again. Discuss maybe medicating the SI and see how we go.
It might be worth a shot it's not that expensive and fairly easy they did my horse at home on a winters evening, he had 5 days field rest then I could start walking him over 5 days then slowly start trot and canter, I was amazed how much better he looked.

My vet did say that sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
How about getting physio to correct any issues found so that he is comfortable/ sound (if that’s possible) then not use any saddle eg long rein, lunge, walk out. Then re check to see if he’s deteriorated. I hope you find something which can be fixed.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

YourValentine

Visit site
Sometimes traditional saddles offer us only a slightly further back place to sit which can be a real issue with horses with lumbar/SI/HQ issues. It's seen as impossible to "cure" because of a long upper leg or even a bigger bum. Have a read here in case it's relevant, starting point is fitting the actual pelvic shape:

Very interesting blog, and definitely an issue I have had with saddles before, particularly the knee off the front. Not helped by being 6ft.

lme

Visit site
I had one with a strained superspinous ligament - detected by scintography at RVC. The treatment was a single steriod jab to make her comfortable tenough to do rehab then physio / rehab exercises to build up strength.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Very interesting blog, and definitely an issue I have had with saddles before, particularly the knee off the front. Not helped by being 6ft.

In which case the saddle IS more likely to be an issue. Unless you get the knee to drop better it's too easy to have too much pressure on what is essentially the psoas where it comes forwards under T16-17 causing pelvic dysfunction, lack of control of braking from behind (which is what the hind legs are built for, brake and drive) and leaving the horse unable to truly push up in front. A classic cause of back issues/compensatory movement patterns, but we see it so much we don't realise.