Back Pain whilst doing fast work / 2 Point

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Loan horse has come back from holiday and we've really been working on his fitness. I am relatively cardio fit from boxing through the winter, although I'm still trying to drop my weight a bit.

When doing fast work / interval training, my back just isn't coping. I'm fairly chesty, wear a sports bra over a normal bra, but 2 minutes in to canter work I'm almost doubled over with the area around my bra back strap absolutely killing - normally more the left side.

Don't think its my position, Shoulders are back, relaxed, seat and hands independent and lower leg secure. Very careful not to hunch or tip as I initially thought this could be reason but it makes no difference.

Horse and I are fit, with plenty steam left in the tank but struggling to really get any further due to this pain.

Do I need to strengthen my back? And if so does anyone have any exercises they could recommend? Bra(s) fit fine - no back pain when running / punching / doing circuits at training....just when riding up out the saddle.

Will book the physio to give me a once over next week and maybe loosen anything off.... but I wondered if there were any suggestions from horse rider to horse rider as we're really hoping to get out and do some hunter trials before the end of Autumn.

View

Visit site
I find that I don't get back or shoulder pain with the Enell sports bra. Anything else I find just does not give the same support, and I assume that's the issue for me.

Shay

Visit site
As one busty lady to another - and mother to another busty lass... you might get more relief in a different fit sports bra. There are so many different types now than there used to be. My daughter found a compression / encapsulation type with the clip racer back made all the difference for her. At the end of the day as you rise up into 2 point your front hangs in a way that most sports bras don't need to cope with. Most sports are done standing more upright! If you have some weight there then there will be a strain on your upper / middle back.

noname

Visit site
Fast work hurts me for the first couple of goes as I work full time in an office. When I'm a few weeks in its ok. If not my first port of call is the chiropractors.

A few weeks back I got really bad again and it didn't go away, I didn't have time to go to the chiropractor and sitting in a chair was painful, it spread to my leg when driving. I did 3 days of stretching on the exercise ball and working on core strength. The difference after 3 days was amazing and I didn't need the chiro!

Backs are funny things! But gym work and exercise ball work might strengthen you up? I'm no expert, but it worked for me!

Ps my DD's are strapped down with a shock absorber!

sarahandwilby

Visit site
Have you tried doing your fast work in a bdy protector? Not just from a falling off point of view, but more from a bust support point of view? Thinking that might spread the weight of them across your entire back rather than just the straps area. Although in this heat you might roast...

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I always get back pain in a back protecter... Wore them out of necessity when I was younger for competing but almost feel too 'held in' in them.

At the minute I wear a normal bra with a shock absorber... May have to try another brand!

Been trying to do a lot more sitting back whilst up out the saddle but you're meant to have a degree of forwardness so kind of defeats the purpose!

I used to be good at going to the physio for an MOT when I boxed so maybe need to get stricter now I'm back riding, potentially could help!

smja

Visit site
Core strength is your friend. Make sure you engage your core to support your back in light seat, it really does make a huge difference.

old hand

Visit site
Check the balance of your saddle, make sure the centre of the seat is flat and that the stirrup leather hangs straight down. Even if the stirrup is only an inch or so forward or back it will make you hold yourself differently to try to counter balance it. I have one saddle that sits perfectly on the horse but the stirrup bar is too far forward for me, it kills my back in two point. It is the only saddle that fits the horse though. I am tall but shorter riders report no problem so it just doesn't fit me. Mind you the horse is so difficult to fit one saddler suggested I rode it bare back and a major saddle manufacturer refused to make a saddle for him! Short rider with a very small bum required I think.

Batgirl

Visit site
I can highly recommend reformer pilates for strengthening the mid back - it is done on a 'bed' on a sprung track and is AWESOME for riding and back support - my GGs are feeling 'lighter' after a few classes.

Llee94

Visit site
I found changing saddles made my back pain disappear. I used to struggle to get round a xc without being in excruciating pain and since getting my new saddle I don't have any problems at all.
A short term solution was sports tape. I got a few rolls off amazon for a few pounds each and strapped myself up and it made a massive difference. There are loads of youtube videos that show you how to strap certain areas.